+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wednesday v RUFC

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    I went to Fulham on Tuesday and we got absolutely destroyed second half.

Ignore the score we were miles behind Fulham.

If you don't beat us on Saturday you've got problems.

UTM
    Yep, doesn't look great on paper PR but....
    1 it's a derby game.....who'd a thunk we'd beat you 2-3 at NYS...2 goals in added time
    2 with the crapness of referees these days, any number of shi*tty decisions can turn a game on its head.
    3 no such thing as an easy Championship game (as the blunts will find out if they ever make it)

Now get in your car and get down to NYS ticket office!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestripe View Post
    Yep, doesn't look great on paper PR but....
    1 it's a derby game.....who'd a thunk we'd beat you 2-3 at NYS...2 goals in added time
    2 with the crapness of referees these days, any number of shi*tty decisions can turn a game on its head.
    3 no such thing as an easy Championship game (as the blunts will find out if they ever make it)

Now get in your car and get down to NYS ticket office!
    Those toytown message boards though :-D......And I thought the real pigs were bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherhamowl10 View Post
    Good to hear from you Pete!

There’s obviously something wrong behind the scenes at RUFC and it makes you wonder what Tony Stewart’s plans are for the club - It wasn’t so long ago that he was talking about his ambition for Rotherham to make a push for the Premiership, but failing to persuade Warnock to carry on with the job was a big loss for you guys.

As you say, financial muscle in this league is absolutely ridiculous this season and it’s possibly the most competitive it has ever been.

Sometimes teams go down and come back stronger (e.g. Barnsley) and sometimes they go down and stay there for 6 years (e.g. Sheff U), so let’s hope you follow Barnsley’s blueprint eh?

We’ve not really got going yet but my aim this season was play-offs again. I think Brighton and Newcastle are way too strong and consistent to fall out of the top 2 now.

Enjoy the game Saturday (hopefully we can end the hoodoo!) and Merry Christmas to you too.
    Cheers mate.

Well, it had to come and the hoodoo spell is broken. Thought we deserved a point, no more but certainly no less. I heard on P&G during the trip home that you guys had an off day and you were without two class players so it could have been worse. The referee spoilt it today to be honest. He blew for everything including the soft penalty. Yes I can see how it was given but take it from me and I was directly behind the goal, Joao over exaggerated a nudge which I totally get and a penalty is given. Nailed on because the referee again wanted to be centre stage and was it the 94th minute or someat? Soft soft penalty but indicative of today's footballers for me. The prize is so big.

I am waiting to see the goal we scored at the end of the first half. It looked perfectly legit to me. Having said that, had that goal stood I still believe the second half mentality of our team trying to defend a lead would have resulted in an onslaught from your guys which might have ended up with you scoring 2 or 3 goals.

There is no real quality in our squad and we have injuries too. Pity our loanee from Chelsea (Izzy Brown) wasn't playing as he would have risen to the challenge in such a setting as Hillsborough. Very talented lad and gifted if a little lazy at times. Given such a small squad, it doesn't take much for us to be in trouble. Believe it or not we did show a lot more spirit, energy, effort but we simply don't have the class to compete with the top 18 teams. Not the player's faults. Warney did a half decent job in making us difficult to get through and against weaker teams we may do better.

Anyway Roth, I look forward to watching Wednesday in the play offs. I think you are right in that Brighton and particular, Newcastle are maybe a class up and destined for the auto places. If you are only firing on 3 cylinders now yet in the top 6, you have plenty to look forward to, especillay when your 3 or 4 injuries clear up and of course when Forrestieri returns. I remember when we won back to back promotions. We regularly won in the last 5 minutes and won when we had played poorly. It is the 3 points that counts and whatever opinions we and some of your fans have, getting the 3 points is everything.

I was sat outside the stadium with my wife, munching my burger and chips before the game. I said to her how much I had enjoyed visiting stadiums like these. Big stadiums, big atmospheres. It may be a long long time before we travel to Championship clubs again after this season. History tells us that we belong in L1 and that is where we will go. L1 stadiums and crowds just don't cut it though do they? Certainly we have enjoyed the trip whilst it lasted and unfortunately, it looks like we shall still avoid Bramhall lane again. Can't see them failing this season but they too have a history of blowing it don't they.

All the best Roth and if you hear from Braggy, say hello from me. Liked his postings and hope he is well.

Quote Originally Posted by micklyons1hardbstd View Post
    Those toytown message boards though :-D......And I thought the real pigs were bitter.
    Just don't understand the bitterness and hate, from either side.

A game that ended in stalemate tbh....needed a bit of class to distinguish it, but none was on the pitch.
    Rovrum probably deserved a point - an awful ref who made things worse - but a soft penalty was typical of that sort of frustrating unremarkable clash.
    I've seen loads of games like that - plenty in PL....one team closing it down, the other struggling to break through.
    It's about the 3 points though and Wednesday got the break this time

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post
    Cheers mate.

Well, it had to come and the hoodoo spell is broken. Thought we deserved a point, no more but certainly no less. I heard on P&G during the trip home that you guys had an off day and you were without two class players so it could have been worse. The referee spoilt it today to be honest. He blew for everything including the soft penalty. Yes I can see how it was given but take it from me and I was directly behind the goal, Joao over exaggerated a nudge which I totally get and a penalty is given. Nailed on because the referee again wanted to be centre stage and was it the 94th minute or someat? Soft soft penalty but indicative of today's footballers for me. The prize is so big.

I am waiting to see the goal we scored at the end of the first half. It looked perfectly legit to me. Having said that, had that goal stood I still believe the second half mentality of our team trying to defend a lead would have resulted in an onslaught from your guys which might have ended up with you scoring 2 or 3 goals.

There is no real quality in our squad and we have injuries too. Pity our loanee from Chelsea (Izzy Brown) wasn't playing as he would have risen to the challenge in such a setting as Hillsborough. Very talented lad and gifted if a little lazy at times. Given such a small squad, it doesn't take much for us to be in trouble. Believe it or not we did show a lot more spirit, energy, effort but we simply don't have the class to compete with the top 18 teams. Not the player's faults. Warney did a half decent job in making us difficult to get through and against weaker teams we may do better.

Anyway Roth, I look forward to watching Wednesday in the play offs. I think you are right in that Brighton and particular, Newcastle are maybe a class up and destined for the auto places. If you are only firing on 3 cylinders now yet in the top 6, you have plenty to look forward to, especillay when your 3 or 4 injuries clear up and of course when Forrestieri returns. I remember when we won back to back promotions. We regularly won in the last 5 minutes and won when we had played poorly. It is the 3 points that counts and whatever opinions we and some of your fans have, getting the 3 points is everything.

I was sat outside the stadium with my wife, munching my burger and chips before the game. I said to her how much I had enjoyed visiting stadiums like these. Big stadiums, big atmospheres. It may be a long long time before we travel to Championship clubs again after this season. History tells us that we belong in L1 and that is where we will go. L1 stadiums and crowds just don't cut it though do they? Certainly we have enjoyed the trip whilst it lasted and unfortunately, it looks like we shall still avoid Bramhall lane again. Can't see them failing this season but they too have a history of blowing it don't they.

All the best Roth and if you hear from Braggy, say hello from me. Liked his postings and hope he is well.
    Think that's a pretty fair summary Pete. No way that ref wasn't going to give the penalty, as you say he blew for every slight bit of physical contact from either side which didn't help the flow of the game.

Another under par performance from us but no side will play well every game and its important to pick up results in these games. We were without our best player, our main goal poacher, our best passer and our midfield engine Kieran Lee was clearly unfit as he never gets subbed off otherwise. Add to that Abdi going off first half and there are reasons why we weren't at our best.
    Your disallowed goal was difficult to spot why but as has been said the ref gave everything so not a surprise and he did blow early for that one.

Hope you can keep grafting and cause similar problems for some of out top 6 rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post
    Cheers mate.

I think you pretty much summed up my opinion of the game, Pete.

The referee wanted to be the star of the show and he just would not let the game flow. I remember Rotherham getting a free kick and taking it quickly, only for the ref to order a retake because he wasn't ready - even the Wednesdayites around me in the North shouted out their frustration over it because it was yet another example of him killing the tempo of the game.

You certainly didn't look like a team that was conceding goals for fun. You played it exactly how I expected and we struggled to break you down, which was also expected considering we were missing key players like Forestieri and Hooper.

While automatic places look settled, the play-offs are anyone's at the minute. I watched the Norwich v Huddersfield game the other day and I was very impressed with Huddersfield. Who would have thought they'd be up there this season?

I'm sure I'll bump into Braggy at the games over Christmas so I'll pass on your regards.

When it flashed up on the Bbc score site that the Fowls had earned a late late penalty, I was wondering how the Millers fans would react to this (and the pen was scored of course and it finished 1-0).
    But something else then took my interest, we scored our winner in the 95th minute at Cardiff and I went absolutely apesh*it!!

Dont you just love/hate late stoppage time winners ?

Rotherhamowl,if you see braggy tell him the Rev has been asking after him won't ya,cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)