+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An observation

An observation

Have we had a little extra in reserve to come back from behind since Skelton's ridiculously ( in my opinion) tiring warm ups stopped.

It does appear that way JRS.

Naysmith was saying that Queens had more energy than the Pars towards the end of the match on Saturday.

You know , the more I think about it , these 'severe' warm ups were serving no purpose at all. We were tiring at the end of games and losing late goals . What on earth was Skelton thinking about in doing this ? I now don't think we were not fit enough to compete , rather we were fit but wasting energy needlessly before the real action even started. Yes, I have no sports science background, only commenting on what I have witnessed week to week. What do you think ?
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 19-12-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Yes it is apparent that the Queens warm up session pre game is considerably less onerous than previous under Skelton. I think that this is particularly important at the moment as we are down to the bare bones with the squad and players are being used not fully fit or with niggles. It will be interesting the see what happens when Naysmith does have a full squad of experienced player to pick from to see if this changes.

Gary was also saying that he doesn't want to over-train the players and he appears to have a better idea on this than Gavin, having just given up playing whilst still being manager at East Fife.

It should be patently obvious that you don't over-train before a match, - and Skelton was merely continuing the type of training that was on offer from his predecessor.

In all sports, - you should organise your fitness regime so that you maximise output when it is most important. 45 minutes before the start of a match was insane, - and no wonder the players were dropping by the end of the 90!

A good warm up with plenty of stretching, coupled with some ball work and a short, high tempo one touch passing game should be more than ample.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    It should be patently obvious that you don't over-train before a match, - and Skelton was merely continuing the type of training that was on offer from his predecessor.

In all sports, - you should organise your fitness regime so that you maximise output when it is most important. 45 minutes before the start of a match was insane, - and no wonder the players were dropping by the end of the 90!

A good warm up with plenty of stretching, coupled with some ball work and a short, high tempo one touch passing game should be more than ample.

Why wasn't our fitness or lack of fitness brought up when we had a great start to the season ?

Aloreburn, that question answers itself my dear man. There are many of us on here, including that great sage - Cresswell, - who were not fooled by a mixture of good fortune and bad finishing at the beginning of the season.

JR and I have questioned for several seasons the point in having a hard 40 minute training session before playing a match.

Hard, heavy sessions should be programmed into the early part of the week, - with more emphasis on ball work, shooting, strategy and above all stretching, as we get closer to the actual game.

Interesting article in last week's programme on Gary's assistant manager Dougie Anderson who has vast experience in training, warm - ups and general fitness going away back to 1990 so maybe over the next few games we will see big changes

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Interesting article in last week's programme on Gary's assistant manager Dougie Anderson who has vast experience in training, warm - ups and general fitness going away back to 1990 so maybe over the next few games we will see big changes
    Glad you found it interesting my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)