+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 119 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Word Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    FFS Alto,use your Noggin...Go onthe sick then retire at Easter..you know it makes sense ..Don't forget you are only a number to them and you owe them nothing ..
    Was all set to do just that alf, been going sick with a back problem that would not mean me losing my PSV Licence and them having to pay me off, then the union rep said he could get me doing the same job part time doing just 2 days a week, now our garage has just lost 4 routes ( our Management could not even run a bath) which means we are massively overstaffed so I may have to go back to my original plan.

Curmudgeon (kəːˈmʌdʒ(ə)n)

Are you trying to find just the right word for someone who’s very bad-tempered and grumpy? Curmudgeon (noun) might be just the word that you’re looking for!

Dating back to at least the 16th century, this word has been used for a long time.

If you hear someone say,

“I don’t like our English teacher … he is a real curmudgeon!”

you can agree (or hopefully disagree!) and know what it means.

I didn't think you'd come up with a better word than Bibble, but Curmudgeon is another cracker Server

Syzygy
    [siz-i-jee]

Amazingly, the only English word with three Ys also happens to describe a rare astronomical event involving three heavenly bodies. A syzygy is the alignment of three celestial bodies in a straight line, commonly the Earth, the Sun and the Moon. Now, what is the only common English word to end in -mt?

Dreamt.

JURISPRUDENCE noun (joo r-is-prood-ns,joo r-is-prood-)

noun

(1) The science or philosophy of law.
    (2) A body or system of laws.
    (3) A department of law: medical jurisprudence.
    (4) Civil Law, decisions of courts, especially of reviewing tribunals.

Quote:

The science of jurisprudence regards the state and power as the ancients regarded fire-namely, as something existing absolutely. But for history, the state and power are merely phenomena, just as for modern physics fire is not an element but a phenomenon.
    Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace, translated by Natham Haskell Dale, 1899.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    Dreamt.
    Yep,spot on Alto..

Logomachy

Noun - An argument about words:

Very apt word for this thread me thinks !!

Some really weird dudes post on here!

Quote Originally Posted by SERVERNOTRESPONDING View Post
    Logomachy

Noun - An argument about words:

Very apt word for this thread me thinks !!
    Now now Server, dont get Choleric

Page 11 of 119 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)