+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 119 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Word Of The Day

ARROGANCE
    ˈarəɡ(ə)ns/
    noun
    the quality of being arrogant.
    "the arrogance of this man is astounding"
    synonyms: haughtiness, conceit, hubris, self-importance, egotism, sense of superiority; More

TEC says Lincoln will be brushed aside with ease

BEASTIE noun (bee-stee)

noun
    1. Chiefly Literary. a small animal, especially one toward which affection is felt.
    2. Facetious. an insect; bug.
    3. Canadian Slang (chiefly Alberta). construction worker.

Quotes
    ... John Silence watched the performance of the cat with profound attention and without interfering. Then he called to the animal by name. "Smoke, you mysterious beastie, what in the world are you about?"
--*Algernon Blackwood,*John Silence: Physician Extraordinary, 1908

I've found a wee beastie and he's hurt. May I keep him?
--*Joanne Bertin,*Bard's Oath, 2012

Origin
    Beastie is best known from two Scottish sources: Robert Burns’s poem Tae a Moose (To a Mouse), “Wee sleekit, cow’rin, tim’rous beastie…”; and the traditional Scottish poem or prayer Things That Go Bump in the Night ”From ghoulies and ghosties / And long-leggedy beasties / And things that go bump in the night, / Good Lord, deliver us.” The word entered English in the late 18th century.

Barmecide
    ADJECTIVE

Illusory or imaginary and therefore disappointing.

SCAPEGRACE noun (skeyp-greys)

noun
    1. a complete rogue or rascal; a habitually unscrupulous person; scamp.

Quotes
    Tommy Bangs was the scapegrace of the school, and the most trying little scapegrace that ever lived. As full of mischief as a monkey, yet so good-hearted that one could not help forgiving his tricks ...
--*Louisa May Alcott,*Little Men, 1871

There was a mark of dignity, of silent power, on this tall scapegrace of a son of Hilary Vane that the railroad president had missed at first--probably because he had looked only for the scapegrace.
--*Winston Churchill,*Mr. Crewe's Career, 1908

Origin
    Scapegrace literally means “one who has escaped or avoided God’s grace.” It derives from the archaic verb scape or ’scape “to escape.” The word entered English in the early 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by SERVERNOTRESPONDING View Post
    Barmecide
    ADJECTIVE

Illusory or imaginary and therefore disappointing.
    And I thought this was the murderous slaughter of a bread roll.

Lol!

RUNNEL noun (ruhn-l)

noun
    1. a small stream; brook; rivulet.
    2. a small channel, as for water.

Quotes
    It took me the whole day to reach the patch,--which I found indeed a forest--but not a rudiment of brook or runnel had I crossed!
--*George MacDonald,*Lilith, 1895

Fastening their boat to a willow, the friends landed in this silent, silver kingdom, and patiently explored the hedges, the hollow trees, the runnels and their little culverts, the ditches and dry waterways.
--*Kenneth Grahame,*The Wind in the Willows, 1908

Origin
    Runnel entered English in the 1570s and combines the noun run (in the sense “small stream”) with the diminutive suffix -el.

MERITORIOUS adjective (mer-i tawr-ee-uh s)

adjective

(1) Deserving praise, reward, esteem, etc; praiseworthy: to receive a gift for meitorious service.

Quotes:

It wasn't exactly a misdemeanor to be late to breakfast-it began promptly at eight o'clock-but it was distinctly meritorious not to be. Henry Kitchell Webster, The Real Adventure, 1916

Bumbershoot noun

(1) Informal: Often Facetious. an umbrella.
    Citations

Quotes

Don't try to hurry the job--it may take hours of intermittent attention to put such a bumbershoot back in working order. Next time, be sure the umbrella is dry before you close it.
    -- "How to Repair an Umbrella," Popular Science , April 1957

Considering that he presented nearly two linebackers' worth of surface area to the rain, he would have needed a bumbershoot the size of a beach umbrella to shelter himself completely.
    -- Dean Koontz, The Face , 2003

Origin

Bumbershoot entered English in the late 1800's. Bumbershoot- is a facetious alteration of umbrella and-shoot is a reselling of -chute from parachute.

Winnet

Top Definition. Winnet picker. A person who picks small dried peices of poo from their anal beard. Oh, no! I have winnets tied up in my bum fluff, I will have to look in the yellow pages for a winnet picker.

Page 17 of 119 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)