+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Word Of The Day

That bloody TEC with his TAXI rumours and canards.

Glad to see the back of him!

Wonder if he got a ...

Attachment 3731

LUCIFEROUS adjective (loo-sif-er-uh s)

adjective
    1. bringing or providing light.
    2. providing insight or enlightenment.

Quotes
    An illumination on so vast a scale could be kept up only by the inexhaustible magazine of ether disseminated through space, and ever ready to manifest its luciferous properties on large spheres, whose attraction renders it sufficiently dense for the play of chemical affinity.
--*D. Vaughan,*"On the Light of Suns, Meteors, and Temporary Stars," Report on the Twenty-Seventh Meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, 1858

I took a vial, containing some luciferous matter, that was not apt to shine long at a time; and being well stopp'd, I kept it till the flame, or light within it, expired ...
--*Robert Boyle,*The Philosophical Works of the Honourable Robert Boyle, Volume 3, 1725

Origin
    Luciferous comes from Latin lūcifer “morning star,” literally, “light-bringing.” It entered English in the mid-1600s.

Sounds a lot like TEC to me!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    That bloody TEC with his TAXI rumours and canards.

Glad to see the back of him!

Wonder if he got a ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Sounds a lot like TEC to me!
    This TEC sounds like a right @rsehole Terrier.

HEART-WHOLE adjective (hahrt-hohl)

adjective
    1. not in love.
    2. wholehearted; sincere.

Quotes
    ... it may be said of him that Cupid hath clapped him o' the shoulder, but I'll warrant him heart-whole.
--*William Shakespeare,*As You Like It, 1623

"What," said he, "have I flirted with so many girls in my own way of life, and come away heart-whole, and now to fall in love with a gentlewoman, who would bid her footman show me the door if she knew of my presumption!"
--*Charles Reade,*Put Yourself in His Place, 1870

Origin

Heart-whole came to English in the 1400s from late Middle English.
    Last edited by Altobelli; 13-03-2017 at 03:34 PM.

I know a few arseholes if that helps?

Inaniloquent

Pertaining to idle talk, tending to speak inanely; loquacious; garrulous

ARITHMANCY noun (at-ith-man-see)

noun
    1. divination by the use of numbers, especially by the number of letters in names. Also arithmomancy.

Quotes
    A correspondent who has charge of the arithmancy department of this Magazine, and who is now engaged in constructing a system that will enable us to calculate the periodicity of South American revolutions, and the probable advent of what is called "early spring" in New England, sends to the Drawer the following timely figures bearing upon the immediate future of France ...
--*"Editor's Drawer," Harper's Monthly Magazine June to November, 1883

In modern languages such as English, many different systems of arithmancy have been produced, none of them entirely satisfactory. The most basic, which is much used in the popular numerology but also can be found in Renaissance occult writings, simply gives each letter the number of its place in the alphabet ...
--*John Michael Greer,*Secrets of the Lost Symbol, 2009

Origin

Arithmancy, a kind of divination by numerology, derives from the Greek nouns arithmós “number, a number, amount” and manteía “prophetic power, divination.” The Greeks practiced (and condemned) all sorts of divination, e.g., necromancy, the black art of communicating with ghosts, as in the Odyssey and in the Bible when King Saul consults the “Witch of Endor” in 1 Samuel; oneiromancy, the interpretation of dreams (Aristotle); oracles (as at Delphi); and the perennial astrology. In arithmancy numerical values were assigned to the letters of the alphabet: A = 1, B = 2, etc. Words and especially proper names converted into numbers had power, probably the most famous being “the number of the beast…666” in the New Testament book of the Apocalypse (Revelation). Arithmancy entered English in the 16th century.

颜色狼 = colour wolf - cheat - liar - unfauthful

Quote Originally Posted by map View Post
    颜色狼 = colour wolf - cheat - liar - unfauthful

Page 20 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)