+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 34 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Word Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I wish you would imprint across your forehead the need to actually include the word of the day in the explanation of it!
    I haven't got a forehead

I actually believe that Alto! Lol!

Attachment 4453

ROSARIAN noun (roh-zai-ee-uh n)

noun
    1. a person who is fond of, develops, or cultivates roses.

Quotes

When Stephen Scanniello, the rosarian at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, was asked for his picks for top roses on the market this spring, he picked the Marco Polo and several others: Regatta, a pink apricot with a strong aroma; Compassion, a climbing rose, and Curly Pink, a classic from 1948.
--*"A Rose Is Made," New York Times, April 23, 1995

A true rosarian is not afraid of a few scrapes. I sense a true rosarian in you.
--*Ksenia Anske,*Rosehead, 2014

Origin

Rosarian comes via Old French from Latin rosa. Further etymology is obscure. Latin rosa suggests an indirect connection with Greek rhódon “rose.” The Aeolic Greek poet Sappho (c620 b.c.-c.565b.c.) uses the form wródon, which suggests a borrowing from an unattested Old Iranian noun wṛda- or urda- “flower.” Old Persian is the source of Armenian vard “rose,” Aramaic wardā, and Hebrew wéreḏ. Rosarian entered English in the 19th century.

SUPERLATIVE adjective (suh-pur-luh-tiv)

adjective
    1. of the highest kind, quality, or order; surpassing all else or others; supreme; extreme: superlative wisdom.
    2. Grammar. of, relating to, or noting the highest degree of the comparison of adjectives and adverbs, as smallest, best, and most carefully, the superlative forms of small, good, and carefully.
    3. being more than is proper or normal; exaggerated in language or style.
    noun
    1. a superlative person or thing.
    2. the utmost degree; acme.
    3. Grammar. a. the superlative degree. b. a form in the superlative.

Quotes

For the boundless love that she has always given me and for being such a thoroughly fabulous human being, never mind a superlative mother, this book is for her.
--*Jacqueline Nassy Brown,*"Preface," Dropping Anchor, Setting Sail: Geographies of Race in Black Liverpool, 2005

The more unintelligible an author is that pleases, the greater must his genius be no doubt. The meanest may please when he makes himself understood; but he must surely be a superlative genius who pleases, whilst his readers do not understand a word he writes.
--*Yorick's Meditations Upon Various Interesting and Important Subjects, 1760

Origin

Superlative came to English in the 1300s, when Middle English was spoken. This came from Late Latin superlātīvus, equivalent to Latin superlāt(us) meaning “hyperbolical.”

Sean Dyche is quite simply SUPERLATIVE!

Attachment 4469

Todays one could be fired at Sean Dyche also.

LUDDITE noun (luhd-ahyt)

noun
    1. someone who is opposed or resistant to new technologies or technological change.
    2. a member of any of various bands of workers in England (1811–16) organized to destroy manufacturing machinery, under the belief that its use diminished employment.

Quotes

Leila was no Luddite, but she trusted her paper notebook over any of her electronics.
--*David Shafer,*Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, 2014

He luxuriates in air-conditioned comfort while exhorting his neo-Luddite followers to renounce the basic trappings of modern technology. Sale's computer-bashing may earn him a tidy sum on the lecture circuit, but I'm sure he reads by electric light, preserves his food through modern refrigeration, and even uses that "needless technology" the Brooklyn Bridge when where's money to be made in that borough.
--*Barbara Shafferman,*"Letters," New York, August 14, 1995

Origin

The original Luddites were skilled weavers who were not opposed to new technology but were worried how the new technology would affect their livelihoods. These skilled workers began destroying manufacturing machinery in Nottingham, and by 1812 organized agitators were called Luddites, after a supposed Ned Ludd (possibly born Edward Ludlam), a weaver who, in a fit of rage, destroyed mechanical knitting machines in 1799. A dozen years later, when the labor unrest was in full flow, Ned Ludd became completely mythologized as King Ludd or General Ludd or Captain Ludd, who like Robin Hood lived in Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire. The modern sense of Luddite as one being opposed to anything new, especially in technology, i.e., a technophobe, dates from the 1970s. Luddite entered English in the 19th century.

FORGETTERY noun (fer-get-uh-ree)

noun

1. a faculty or facility for forgetting; faulty memory: a witness with a very convenient forgettery.

Quotes

And, even as we rolled through the lovely country-side, my forgettery set to work.
--*Kurt Vonnegut,*Slapstick, 1976

" ... Our kids were always healthy, 'specially the youngest. Stands to reason their kids will be better." "Now you're thinking with your forgettery. They were all sick, one time or another. ..."
--*F. L. Wallace,*"The Impossible Voyage Home," Galaxy Science Fiction, August 1954

Origin

Forgettery is a humorous formation based on forget and (the pronunciation of) memory. The phenomenon is very common in ordinary life, such as that panicky moment when one cannot recall the name of one’s dinner partner or where one parked the car in the mall parking lot. It is a little surprising that such a useful term entered English only in the 19th century.
    Last edited by Altobelli; 16-05-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Alf and Alto to a tee!

I wouldn't stand for that alf, he's down graded you putting you in my league.

Page 34 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)