+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 35 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Word Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I wouldn't stand for that alf, he's down graded you putting you in my league.
    Yes,but our league is far bigger and better then the one TEC is in..

Who is this mythical TEC in which you speak..?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Who is this mythical TEC in which you speak..?
    he used to post on here regularly,he was a right CUN​T..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Now that is not nice

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    I believe that is the reason he took his ball home...

ZUGZWANG noun (tsook-tsvahng)

noun

1. Chess. a situation in which a player is limited to moves that cost pieces or have a damaging positional effect.

Quotes

The aim in the end game is to get your opponent’s king into “zugzwang,” which means to force him to have only one more move remaining, and that one loses the game for him.
--*H. N. Levitt,*"K K Karanja: Chess Champ," Boys' Life, February 1986

The outcome of an endgame often depends on the ability of one side to lose a move, and zugzwang--the obligation to move, even when one would rather not--becomes a powerful force.
--*George Atkinson,*Chess and Machine Intuition, 1998

Origin

Zugzwang in German means “compulsion to move,” originally a technical term in chess for a situation in which one is forced to make a disadvantageous move. As a chess term, zugzwang has been in English since the early 20th century.

I've put a tracker on Alf's mobile caravan, it's going to get a proper ZUGZWANG!

He'll get the hump you calling it a Caravan, its a Motorhome, like the one below

SLACKTIVISM noun (slak-tuh-viz-uh m)

noun

1. actions taken to bring about political or social change but requiring only minimal commitment, effort, or risk: students engaging in slacktivism by signing an online petition.

Quotes

The [Ice Bucket] challenge was derided as “slacktivism”—a way for people to feel virtuous without doing much.
--*James Surowiecki,*"What Happened to the Ice Bucket Challenge?" The New Yorker, July 25, 2016

If a little bit of slacktivism means closing the enthusiasm and engagement gap, motivating others to action and expressing your right to political speech, that sounds like something you can feel proud of.
--*Jamie Hodari,*"In praise of slacktivism: Your cliche Facebook post can still make a difference," Washington Post, February 2, 2017

Origin

Slacktivism is a portmanteau formed from the terms slacker and activism. It is first recorded between 1995 and 2000.

PURLOIN verb (per-loin)

verb
    1. to take dishonestly; steal; filch; pilfer.
    2. to commit theft; steal.

Quotes

... a certain document of the last importance, has been purloined from the royal apartments. The individual who purloined it is known; this beyond a doubt; he was seen to take it.
--*Edgar Allen Poe,*"The Purloined Letter," The Gift, 1844

Each day I purloin a few more sheets for the purposes of my book of fish which I carefully hide ...
--*Richard Flanagan,*Gould's Book of Fish, 2001

Origin

Purloin entered English in the 1400s from late Middle English purloynen, from Anglo-French purloigner “to put off, remove.”

Page 35 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)