+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 38 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Word Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    You are almost there Alto!
    I'm way off yet BT, but I do feel like I have been around for a ton

Beneboy said you look it too!

I've had a hard life, been fleeced by 2 wives and when I got rid of them the 4 Daughters started, not to mention being mugged by passed and present Governments periodically.

SINKER noun (sing-ker)

noun
    1. Slang. a doughnut or, sometimes, a biscuit or muffin.
    2. a person or thing that sinks.
    3. a person employed in sinking, as one who sinks shafts.
    4. a weight, as of lead, for sinking a fishing line or net below the surface of the water.
    5. Also called sinkerball. Baseball. a pitched ball that curves downward sharply as it reaches the plate.

Quotes

"Coffee, a sinker, and some information," I said, sitting down at the counter.
--*Stuart M. Kaminsky,*Think Fast, Mr. Peters, 1987

Phil harvey chewed slowly on a sinker, dipping it into his coffee, and watched the block through the window while the crazy Captain waited for service at the counter.
--*Lee Lamothe,*Free Form Jazz, 2010

Origin

Sinker is an obsolete Americanism for doughnut. Its facetious etymology was that if a sinker were thrown overboard, it wouldn’t float, it would sink. The word entered English in the 19th century.

If SD leaves I feel a SINKER coming on...

ATHLEISURE noun (ath-lee-zher)

noun

1. a style of clothing worn as athletic apparel but also suitable for casual, everyday wear: Athleisure looks great whether you're working out or just running errands.

Quotes

Today, Lululemon apparel, with its tiny, stylized a logo, is ever-present on the sidelines of soccer games, in carpool lines, at coffee shops, and on airplanes. The pants and tops spawned a raft of imitators, including some of the biggest names in athletic apparel, as well as a new term--athleisure--for the style of clothing that seems fit for the gym, but is worn many places besides.
--*Jason Kelly,*Sweat Equity: Inside the New Economy of Mind and Body, 2016

Since athleisure reflects a lifestyle shift, it is unlikely it will disappear soon, despite the market being over-stretched.
--*"The Athleisure Trend Is Here to Stay," Forbes, October 6, 2016

Origin

Athleisure is first recorded in the 1970s and is a portmanteau of athletics and leisure.

Like a Scouser's shell suit Alto?

I cannot believe people still wear shell suits, it's like having a pair of suit trousers & having trainers on or women who wear a dress with trainers, it looks very odd IMO.

NOTABILIA plural noun (noh-tuh-bil-ee uh)

plural noun

1. matters, events, or items worthy of note.

Quotes

Your letter from the Far West was charmingly vivid and free; one seemed to attend you personally, and see with one's own eyes the notabilia, human and other, of those huge regions, in your swift flight through them to and from.
--*April Carlyle,*"Carlyle to Emerson, April 2, 1872," The Pacific Unitarian, November 1901

“A propos,” among the notabilia for imitation I must mention a flower-table of the Countess's.
--*Hermann Ludwig Heinrich von Pückler-Muskau,*Tour in England, Ireland, and France, in the Years 1826, 1827, 1818, and 1829., translated by Sarah Austin, 1833

Origin

In Latin of the classical period, notābilis was an adjective only, meaning “noteworthy, famous,” but also “notorious, infamous.” Late Latin developed the noun senses: first “noteworthy thing, important event” (plural notābilia) and later “eminent person” (plural notābilēs). Notabilia entered English in the mid-19th century.
    Last edited by Altobelli; 04-06-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Magnetohydrodynamics

Electron magnetohydrodynamics is a new branch of theoretical plasma physics with many applications to problems of pulsed plasmas and controlled magnetic fusion, astrophysics and physics of solids

Page 38 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)