+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 29 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Word Of The Day

You have made me smile BT, not with the above remark but with another thread coming around from your overdose of medication and now agreeing with me that Gray's days are numbered and that Vokes is NOT good enough for the Prem, I thought you'd never recover, but better late than never, I congratulate you on your recovery

I cannot understand WTF is wrong with Gray.

Vokes has never been good enough to score goals at this level but Gray in the right frame of mind should be.

I'm flummoxed!

Gray was playing non league not that long ago. He'll come good.

He looks to me like he has lost the desire and that baffles me Warminster.

I have always been one of his greatest advocates but just lately he has let himself down, his teammates and me personally!

Gor gone Zola. Noun. A blue Italian cheese that crumbled and disintegrated in the Midlands.

I could not understand why they sacked Gary Rowett in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Gor gone Zola. Noun. A blue Italian cheese that crumbled and disintegrated in the Midlands.
    Very good outwood. I would have used the like button had there been one!

AVARICE noun (av-er-is)

noun
    1. insatiable greed for riches; inordinate, miserly desire to gain and hoard wealth.

Quotes

The most ancient and natural grounds of quarrels are lust and avarice; which, though we may allow to be brethren, or collateral branches of pride, are certainly the issues of want.
--*Jonathan Swift,*"The Battle of the Books, " A Tale of a Tub, 1704

The 22-minute film is a punchy, slick-looking satire of the Los Angeles yoga world, one in which the path to enlightenment is often paved with as much greed and avarice as serenity.
--*Ann Hornaday,*"'Down Dog': Tweaking Yoga's Poseurs," The Washington Post, March 3, 2005

Origin

Avarice entered English in the 1200s, at the time when Middle English was spoken. It comes from an Old French term, which finds its roots in the Latin word avār(us) “greedy.”

KERFUFFLE noun (ker-fuhf-uh l)

noun
    1. Chiefly British Informal. a fuss; commotion.

Quotes

... I speculated that Larsson ... might have “overcaffeinated himself to death.” This caused quite a kerfuffle among Times readers. Swedes, Swedish-Americans and residents of Swedish-American neighborhoods wrote in to say that round-the-clock coffee consumption was utterly normal in Sweden and in Swedish enclaves, nothing “pathological” about it.
--*David Kamp,*"Stieg Larsson's Coffee Mania, Revisited," New York Times, June 21, 2011

... the past few weeks have seen a paroxysm of advice-giving from scientists to the White House ... Why the kerfuffle? Probably because many scientists didn't care too much for the scientific advice that President Reagan had.

Origin

Kerfuffle entered English in the mid-1900s from Scots curfuffle. Cur- comes from Scots Gaelic car “to twist, turn,” from Old Irish cor “a turn.” Fuffle is a word of imitative origin meaning “to disorder, confuse.”

As in there is a right kerfuffle going on at Old Trafford on the lines of, "Keane, how much?" OMG what did we let LVG do?

Page 29 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)