+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 898 of 949 FirstFirst ... 398798848888896897898899900908948 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 8,980 of 9482

Thread: Today's Diddy Games

Slightly begs the question as to what would we do if it were us? Some random gazillionaire buys the Dons as a pet project. I suspect we’d have mixed feelings, and would grumble but still very much enjoy sticking it to the cheeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    Slightly begs the question as to what would we do if it were us? Some random gazillionaire buys the Dons as a pet project. I suspect we’d have mixed feelings, and would grumble but still very much enjoy sticking it to the cheeks.
    I've often thought about that.
    It's a hugely unlikely scenario, but if a despotic nation state funded us, leading to, as you say, the new firm eating our dust, I reckon I'd very much revel in it.

But it would raise a lot of ethical questions.

I'm kinda thankful it's a decision I'll never have to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    I'd love to see us break the duopoly of Scottish football, even if it meant accepting the filthy lucre from some dodgy individual or country.
    Is any real wealth made from ethical means though?

The plastic fans would be a pain, bad enough when the big game hunters turn up at meaningful games as it is.

For all its faults, there is still a feeling of old skool fitba in Scotland, which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Br0chred View Post
    Detest Man City. 40 years ago you would never see anyone in one of their shirts, now their fans are neartly all glory hunters. Just like the two cheeks. They only have won things because they have broken the very loose rules of FFP and probably won't have any real sanctions on them, just like the huns.The only positive about them is Pep as he is a great manager but would he have gone there without the financial cheating? I can only hope the Abu Dhabi economy crashes and let's just see where the .millions of Citey fans go next as they go into administration
    If they went bust tomorrow, they would still have an enviable supporter base to back them.

There are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes in this, but bear with me.

Hibs got to the semi-final of the first European Cup where over two games they lost 3-0 on aggregate to Stade Reims.

That season we played Hibs four times, two in the League and two in the League Cup. We won all four by an aggregate of 12-4, average 3-1. Statistically, and on an admittedly limited sample with Hibs as the control variable, we were a better team than Reims that year.

Reims gave Real Madrid a run for their money in the final, leading twice before losing 4-3. What a chance we would have had.

Our 100% record against Real Madrid could have started 27 years earlier. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by krakowdon View Post
    There are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes in this, but bear with me.

Hibs got to the semi-final of the first European Cup where over two games they lost 3-0 on aggregate to Stade Reims.

That season we played Hibs four times, two in the League and two in the League Cup. We won all four by an aggregate of 12-4, average 3-1. Statistically, and on an admittedly limited sample with Hibs as the control variable, we were a better team than Reims that year.

Reims gave Real Madrid a run for their money in the final, leading twice before losing 4-3. What a chance we would have had.

Our 100% record against Real Madrid could have started 27 years earlier. Just saying...
    That is a top post, Krakowdon. And just to add join the two dots you left out Hibs played that year in European cup although they had only finished 5th the season before. It should have been Leggat scoring the winner in the final..

We also played the English champions, fellow non-EC participants Chelsea, in a challenge match for the unofficial British Championship and beat them 4-3

Who would win in a hypothetical game between the Champions of 1955 and the Champions of 1985?

They have always been a medium sized team in englanndshire. The equivallent of Dundee. An "enviable support base' how very jamboesque. Like the jambos they would have a core support and coming from a city the size of Manchester it will be bigger than teams from smaller places but they were never a big team and that enviable support would soon recede when they were losing. When they were in Div 2 their support was in the 20k and you never saw anyone in Scotland/Asia/rest of world wearing their shirts.Cheating club glory hunter fans

Remarkable comeback win for Scotland just now. A certain Kenny McLean wi the winner. Looking very likely we'll be qualifying for fitiver tourney is next.

Page 898 of 949 FirstFirst ... 398798848888896897898899900908948 ... LastLast