+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Major Buckley

Talking Major Buckley

There are two statues outside Molineux of two of your greatest names, Billy Wright and Stan Cullis, and rightly so.
    What i do find strange is that there is nothing to commemorate the man who built the platform for these two to perform on.
    Wolves were a bloody good side from the late 30's until the early 60's, and it was Buckley who built the side and style that Cullis would continue with.
    Cullis himself had the misfortune to be at his peak when WW2 robbed him of his best years, who knows what would have happened for him and the club in those years. He got some joy as a manager by winning trophies, but he had little to show in the way of medals for probably being the best centre half in the country at the time.
    There was an old chap at Thompsons when i worked there who was a Cullis fan, and saw him as a player and a manager, and when he was sacked he never set foot in Molineux again.
    Roy Pritchard worked in the same office as my mom in the 70's and he said any manager would have won trophies with that side. I don't think he was a Cullis fan,and neither was Ted Farmer, but you can't knock his managerial accomplishments.
    Anyway, why is there no memorial or statue of Major Buckley? Why have the club almost erased him from their history?

As i have said in the past, my Dad's side of our family were Albion, and my mom's side were Wolves, apart from Mom who was Albion, and we had some great friendly banter about the two clubs, apart from the once at Molineux in a Black Country derby, when my mom and aunt almost started fighting.

But we follow two great historic clubs, both of us have seen good and bad times,and it's a shame our rivalry couldn't be a bit more like the Scousers one, after all most of our families have Albion-Wolves members, as well as friends and colleagues.
    No real difference between Albion and Wolves fans, except we tend to have a bit more class.

Don't usually do these type of post's but being the time of year it is

Happy Yule.

An excellent post '55, with some good and interesting points. Judging by what has been posted on here in the past, I think that every serious Wolves fan is in no doubt about the enormous influence Major Buckley had on our history. Patrick A Quirke's book 'The Major, The Life and Times of Frank Buckley' is an excellent read.

I also feel that there should be a statue of him but, perhaps we should also have one of Billy Hartill, Bert Williams, Peter Broadbent, Ron Flowers etc., etc.....

I find it incredulous there isn't something to honour him. It's like Liverpool not having the Shankly gates. Cullis brought the glory and so did Paisley, but the spadework was done by their two predecessors.
    You can go on about honouring players but you would run out of room for statues, the ones that deserve it most are those who put a club on the map.
    The game today has changed beyond recognition, clubs with little or no history are seen as big clubs, even the likes of Chelsea who were average until the money men took over.
    I hate the premiership and everything it stands for, i gave up my ST a couple of seasons ago, i was sick of the whole circus, multi millionaire players swanning about like rock stars.
    But i realise it's unfortunately where we need to be if we are to keep pace with the rest.
    Billy Wright was the first player to 100 caps in the days when you had to play to get one and there were fewer international games, yet he is almost never mentioned by today's media,who cream themselves over the likes of Fulham, QPR and Palace as if they have ever contributed anything to the game.
    Putting rivalries aside it would be good to have all the Midland sides in the top league and doing well. Leicester proved what can be done if you apply yourself the correct way, but seem to have made the Hod too big for their backs.
    Swansea City and Bournemouth, in the Premier league. It proves you can't stand still in football.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    There are two statues outside Molineux of two of your greatest names, Billy Wright and Stan Cullis, and rightly so.
    What i do find strange is that there is nothing to commemorate the man who built the platform for these two to perform on.
    Wolves were a bloody good side from the late 30's until the early 60's, and it was Buckley who built the side and style that Cullis would continue with.
    Cullis himself had the misfortune to be at his peak when WW2 robbed him of his best years, who knows what would have happened for him and the club in those years. He got some joy as a manager by winning trophies, but he had little to show in the way of medals for probably being the best centre half in the country at the time.
    There was an old chap at Thompsons when i worked there who was a Cullis fan, and saw him as a player and a manager, and when he was sacked he never set foot in Molineux again.
    Roy Pritchard worked in the same office as my mom in the 70's and he said any manager would have won trophies with that side. I don't think he was a Cullis fan,and neither was Ted Farmer, but you can't knock his managerial accomplishments.
    Anyway, why is there no memorial or statue of Major Buckley? Why have the club almost erased him from their history?

As i have said in the past, my Dad's side of our family were Albion, and my mom's side were Wolves, apart from Mom who was Albion, and we had some great friendly banter about the two clubs, apart from the once at Molineux in a Black Country derby, when my mom and aunt almost started fighting.

But we follow two great historic clubs, both of us have seen good and bad times,and it's a shame our rivalry couldn't be a bit more like the Scousers one, after all most of our families have Albion-Wolves members, as well as friends and colleagues.
    No real difference between Albion and Wolves fans, except we tend to have a bit more class.

Don't usually do these type of post's but being the time of year it is

Happy Yule.
    A good post wba55, bar the sentence after friends and colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71 View Post
    A good post wba55, bar the sentence after friends and colleagues.
    I didn't get that bit either.

A load of monkeys bollux if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf View Post
    I didn't get that bit either.

A load of monkeys bollux if you ask me
    Just Bob's way of fishing. He should have taken a leaf out of Wolves, and watered it down a bit more.

Actually 71 i think both set's of fans behave like total arseholes at times, even me, well especially me.

Merry Christmas yow lot.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Actually 71 i think both set's of fans behave like total arseholes at times, even me, well especially me.

Merry Christmas yow lot.
    Exactly, there's good and bad with both sets of fans.

All the best.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)