+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Davis has gone

  1. #1

    Davis has gone

    Steve Davis has been sacked but is Dave Artell the answer no experience can he guide a team on the decline to safety?

  2. #2
    Thanks Steve for some great moments in the history of Crewe Alex, but it certainly was time to go. Let's hope we have some free flowing football for the rest of the year - it can't get any worse.

  3. #3
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38547790

    I wonder what will happen to Collins

  4. #4
    Hopefully Collins to go to make Kenny Lunt assistant?

  5. #5

    Davis has gone

    Quote Originally Posted by Preston76 View Post
    Hopefully Collins to go to make Kenny Lunt assistant?
    Well at the least the Board have acted at a timely juncture in the season while the present situation still has a chance of being rescued. Artell has a strong Crewe connection and will be fully aware of supporters expectations. He, therefore, deserves our full support. He is also on record as saying that he is a strong supporter of the Academy set up and about retaining its Category 2 status so no prospect of any change there. I have confidence that the Board will allow him to take the necessary steps to move quickly to rejig the present squad. They must fully realize the present perilous position of the club in League 2.

    Steve Davis has been an honourable Manager who has given the club some good times and one should not forget that.

  6. #6
    Agreed , when he came in he brought some much needed ambition to the club and no one could doubt his effort. It's worth remembering in those first few seasons he out thought a fair few managers too and he had a lot to deal with off the pitch.

    Time to go definitely , but I do hope he gets another club and does well for them.

  7. #7
    Will the board give Artell some money now !!!!

  8. #8
    About time and I hope Collins follows. To be fair, the two trips to Wembley are two of my greatest football memories and he deserves credit for those. However, he should have gone at the end of 15-16.

    No idea how Artell will shape up, but the Club has been crying out for change. Lunt or Lowe as assistant manager? Wonder if Artell will have money to spend during the transfer window?

  9. #9
    Making Artell mNger seems an odd decision to me. In our present predicament would have thought an experienced manager was essential. I do hope that he is a brilliant success, its the least the supporters deserve.

    And I do hope that Collins does not remain.

    The board have to give our new managers sufficient funds to strengthen our team. Two new midfielders and a striker are a must/

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    Making Artell mNger seems an odd decision to me. In our present predicament would have thought an experienced manager was essential.



    Artell being a strong advocate of the academy, it must have helped swing it for him.
    Plus he's already on the staff so we continue to promote within - which has been proven to work before. Ok, not always, admittedly, but I'm all for trying to continue to promote the Crewe way rather than go down the Gudjon route again.

    And we always talk about the fact that we want to see passion.
    Well, Artell had this in spades as a player and captain and, in my view (and I said it at the time), it was Davis's first major mistake as boss to release him a week after lifting the Play-Off trophy. he deserved the chance to lead Crewe in League One and then if he was found wanting, you deal with it.

    He looked like a born leader on the field.
    Here's hoping he can replicate that off it.
    For me, an exciting appointment!
    Play-offs here we come!!

  11. #11
    And just to add, Davis will get another job in football.
    He did enough at Crewe to deserve that at least - and if/when he does, he gets my best wishes!!

  12. #12
    yep, clubs always need someone to clean the kit or set the cones out for training although he would probably screw that up as well - i won't forget the past 3 seasons of tripe in a hurry, he managed to kill my enthusiasm for the alex, he should have been sacked end of 14/15

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Artell being a strong advocate of the academy, it must have helped swing it for him.
    Plus he's already on the staff so we continue to promote within - which has been proven to work before. Ok, not always, admittedly, but I'm all for trying to continue to promote the Crewe way rather than go down the Gudjon route again.

    And we always talk about the fact that we want to see passion.
    Well, Artell had this in spades as a player and captain and, in my view (and I said it at the time), it was Davis's first major mistake as boss to release him a week after lifting the Play-Off trophy. he deserved the chance to lead Crewe in League One and then if he was found wanting, you deal with it.

    He looked like a born leader on the field.
    Here's hoping he can replicate that off it.
    For me, an exciting appointment!
    Play-offs here we come!!
    I agree with that 100% and its not just about coaching whatever that is LOL but the passion and enthusiasm and get up and get stuck in attitude that is far more important and so I think its a great appointment made with vision at long last. The next move could be Ryan Lowe as his assistant being that is what he was going off to Bury for and so this maybe this could be the dream ticket we are all looking for..Play offs definitely here we come....eventually!

  14. #14
    BTW, I'm not sure that SD will find a job in football that easy to come by as there are dozens of ex league managers waiting to come back in...Has Mickey Adams been fixed up yet?

    He is young enough though and maybe a return to non league may suit him?

    I for one feel sorry for him even though it was inevitable really. He will wake up tomorrow and have nowhere to go and ask himself, what do I do now? If he has a years salary as part of a rolling contract, it must lesson the pain?

  15. #15
    Should be a bumper gate on Saturday when all those who said they would not come whilst SD was in charge

    Wonder if the board will back DA loans instead?

  16. #16
    Agree with Somerset that it is ironic that the man replacing Davis is his discarded Captain who deserved more.
    Hope big Dave does well, what he will do is take responsibility if things don't go well, not criticise particularly the younger members of the squad, one of SDS less redeeming features.
    Onwards and upwards!

  17. #17
    Congratulations Dave! Can't wait for Saturday's win against Luton. C.O.Y.R!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by bowser313 View Post
    yep, clubs always need someone to clean the kit or set the cones out for training although he would probably screw that up as well - i won't forget the past 3 seasons of tripe in a hurry, he managed to kill my enthusiasm for the alex, he should have been sacked end of 14/15



    Total nonsense.
    The guy should be praised for keeping us in L1 with the squad at his disposal for as long as he did.
    Not many could have done that after losing the quality of players like Powell, Westy and Murph who would have all been irreplaceable at this level.
    SD failed last season and could not halt the slide this - so ultimately had to go - and probably a month or two too late, but not before.
    We're not bloody Barcelona y'know!!

    We move on.
    Time to dust off the lyrics of one of my favourite songs of recent times ........ what were they? ....... oh yes, I think I have it .......... "David Artell, David Artell, David Artell, David Artell" <repeat over and over>

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crewe
    Posts
    10,798
    Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    Will the board give Artell some money now !!!!
    Yes they will and hearing two loans to come in this week as well.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkDust View Post
    Yes they will and hearing two loans to come in this week as well.
    But are they the ones SD was bringing in anyway (Jamie Ness?) or Dave's selections? How about Kiwomya - still staying?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •