+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next up - the cup

Next up - the cup

The end of the winter break is in sight and the build up to the second half of the season will increase as we anticipate the fourth round of the Scottish Cup. Motherwell and Rangers will provide a tasty opener. - External Link

Hope our manager has the guts to have a real go at them at Ibrox and not sit back hoping to hit on the break. If ever a club was due a cup run then surely our fans deserve one soon.

Aye, our fans deserve a cup run alright. Don't think it will be this year though. Hopefully they go and prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    Aye, our fans deserve a cup run alright. Don't think it will be this year though. Hopefully they go and prove me wrong.
    2 ways to view this tie IMO;

1. We turn up with a 'game plan' to hold them and hit on the break; but we'll never have a clean sheet ...
    or
    2. We go with the same mood as the play off game from a cuppla seasons back and try to rub their dirty faces in the mud!

If we go out, I'd rather option 2 was the path we take !

The support are owed a Cup run this year after our utterly pathetic efforts in the last five years where even by our dismal cup standards, we have plummeted new depths with the number of first hurdle exits and bottle jobs we have turned in.

However we sure as hell won't be getting one this year as we will turn in our standard Ibrox no show and go out without a whimper. McGhee will have us beat before a ball is kicked and we will lose to a bang average side down to our pathetic, small time mentality in games like these.

I've said it before but the fact that an outsider and utter dud that Ian Baraclough proved to be is the only Motherwell manager in the last 20 years to oversee a Motherwell victory at Ibrox should utterly shame some of our recent managers, McGhee and McCall in particular. Baraclough didn't do much right in his time here but one thing he did do was not allow us to buy into all the hype about Rangers and how "we are only Motherwell, can't expect to compete with those crowds, those finances, huge club bla bla ****ing bla". We just went there that night and stuck two fingers up at them, played our own game and showed them up for the dire mob they were. Had either McGhee or McCall been in our dugout that night we would have lose three or four nil and would have been a Championship side by now, such is their dire and defeatist attitude when it comes to big games.

I notice McGhoo's started with his insipid undertones ... 'we'll do our best to compete in the cauldron of Ibrox Stadium'. WTF!? Why not - 'I'd rather get the tie out the way sharpish - a win in Glasgow gives us time to concentrate on the home fixture the week after'.

"The Rangers" are no better than an average team. If we could just get it into our mind that they are no longer the team they were, and we should play as though we were going to Aberdeen or Hearts. However I agree that Mark McGhee still thinks of them as being something special. It is the old problem, of the "Name" of the team, rather than the quality of the players on the park. Lets just get out there and go at them.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)