+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dry January

Dry January

Anyone else doing it ?

Halfway through the month and it's amazing how much you miss grabbing a beer whilst watching sport on TV or opening up a bottle of wine on a Friday night. I think it just becomes habit to grab a drink at every opportunity.

I guess it's easy when you put your mind to it, and in no way am I extending this dry period past 31st January, but in general we do tend to drink too much which cannot be healthy for us.

Anyway, roll on February.

I used to do it every January up until 2016 when personal circumstances f@cked me up and I needed a drink. Now my circumstances have changed as I'm core crew offshore, its nae really worth it(even though I'm home January) as I'm away a month at a time so I'm four on four aff the juice anyway

Have to admit though ive lost a good amount of weight due to it. (helped by only eating healthy offshore). I didn't realise how much weight the booze piles on. Still love a beer at home though but it evens its self up over time. I'm pretty much 1.5 stone (10kg) lighter these days due to 50% decrease in booze

It's difficult to find a happy medium. One beer or glass of wine an evening is fine but two or three on a regular basis is probably overdoing it. But the first is usually the gateway to the second and third (mainly because those are the ones that bring on the desired effect).

Dry months are OK for kicking off habitual drinking but might not be sustainable in the long run. Drinking only on alternate days is a good place to start.

A good ten pint session every three days or so clears the cobwebs away I find.

Don't drink enough to have a dry month..

Quote Originally Posted by scobiemacd View Post
    A good ten pint session every three days or so clears the cobwebs away I find.
    Right now that sounds good to me.

My January has been pretty wet. Been getting through heaps of Williams Bros beers so i can keep a the bottles for my homebrewing.i blame my alcoholism on couriers who think Meldrum is in the Highlands as i canna get bottles sent up without paying extra.