Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
Don't know if you streamed commentary or not, but it's worth noting that Atkins commented over our squad generally, that one of the biggest failings was that player by player they very much of a 'muchness'.
None more so than midfield. Although this is far from a 'revelation' it does actually point to the fact that us onlookers/supporters may have a far better appreciation of the game than sometimes we give ourselves credit for.
This does then give credibility of sorts when we critique many things that we witness, this does not excuse the moaning or certainly abusing regardless, but considered comment is fine and justified.
It was mainly a case of Blackpool 'just didn't turn up' last night, but of course that's their loss and we can only deal what's put in front of us. But a wins a win and it's a good feeling for the squad.

On another tack: I am just nearly through a book called A season with Verona by a Tim Parks and it's a very enjoyable read for several reasons. As you may recall I spent some years working over there and from it formed a fair bit of opinion of them and their culture/mannerisms.
The basis is one season watching every game (H & A), but linked into it is his learnt experiences that then very much mirror my own conclusions I arrived at regarding the same.
The only thing that confuses me somewhat is that he already resides there in Verona and has done for many years, far more than I did. So I am left assuming he hadn't travelled all that far out side of that 'domain/region'.
And that's the learning curve esp North to South, or your nearest neighbour/'enemy'. The nearest 'cat eater' enemy slant is a fairly good mirror to our own relationship with our friends down the M65, so it makes the read very amusing. However their 'slagging' of those further North up towards the 'elastic' borders Easterly are a bit too much on the darker/unsavoury kind.
I bet they can't match a mood of resigned doom in quite the same way as Lancashire people, though!!
As for your first paragraph, I think we have suffered for a long time for the lack of flair in the team. In such circumstances, you have to compensate with team-confidence, and we haven't had that either!