+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The BBC

I'd rather get cancer than have to watch The One Show again. The nadir of human civilisation.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho_panza View Post
    It's a lightning rod for people who instinctively want to believe every media source is fundamentally corrupt except the one that happens to tell them what they want to hear. It's no coincidence that SNP diehards think it's anti-SNP, Brexit obsessives think it's anti-Brexit, Tory extremists think it's anti-Tory, hardline feminists think it's anti-women, Trump supporters think it's anti-Trump, Putinistas think it's anti-Russian (and so on). Tell any of these groups that it's somewhere in the middle, not perfect, but not a mass brainwashing corporation either, and you'll usually get an exasperated lecture on the topic. That's pretty much inevitable given the way it's funded and the fact that, unlike other media organisations, it's supposed to be neutral (rather than openly biased).

Away from politics, its entertainment contribution is a mixed bag of good and appalling, documentaries and coverage of the arts is consistently world class, the sports coverage is slipping into irrelevance except on radio (where it's still excellent - TMS, some of the football coverage, etc.) and the website is fairly good but could be a lot better.
    Broadly agree with this although I think that the BBC is becoming gradually less neutral in its coverage although I think that's just indicative of the times - their world view is under attack for the first time since 1997.

The BBC reflects the views of the self satisfied soft metro left-liberal, rootless, north London 'Islington set'. They're hated by the Right for obvious reasons but they're hated by the Left because they represent a sort of right on form of leftism that is more concerned with signalling virtue than actually doing anything socially beneficial. They represent the new 'status quo'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I didn't

I think he's O5car but I could be wrong.

The BBC should be scrapped for making Taboo.

I like the BBC but do realise it has faults.

Radio 4 is the most civilising, soothing noise going. Its drama output and documentaries are second to none.

And if it gets cut-and-paste Conservatives and Nationalists whingeing and greeting, I think it's probably getting it jyst about right.

Keith is rarely shown on the Reporting Scotland weather map these days though. *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    I'd rather get cancer than have to watch The One Show again. The nadir of human civilisation.
    The Welsh lass that was on (she's been aff haein' a bairn I believe) has a cracking set o' pins, but the maist hooooorin' annoyin' voice.
    Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post

The BBC reflects the views of the self satisfied soft metro left-liberal, rootless, north London 'Islington set'. They're hated by the Right for obvious reasons but they're hated by the Left because they represent a sort of right on form of leftism that is more concerned with signalling virtue than actually doing anything socially beneficial. They represent the new 'status quo'.
    Nailed it min

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123