+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of the union

Quote Originally Posted by dons8321 View Post
    But her "poll" is an actual one whilst the other is based on seeking out option (and we know how well polls have done in the recent past). Personally I don't think there should be another ref. at the moment as it wouldn't produce a different result to the last one -I just don't think the 62% who voted to Remain would vote for independence which seems to be basis of her argument.
    The polls have been wrong but not out by 67% to 33%. That is a 34% difference and all polls have been within the margin or error to the actual votes (even when they were wrong). It is clear that there is overwhelming support for not having another independence referendum.

She has said in the past, before the Brexit vote, that she was building a case for independence again and that she would not go to a vote until there was consistently over 60% people wanting independence based upon polls. So she has used polls in the past to justify her position.

A lot of the criticism of Sturgeon is simply because she's a woman. A lot of it is just pish like 'she should just get on with running the country'. She's the only party leader that even looks semi competent but that doesn't matter when you vote on the grounds that she also looks a bit like Jimmy Krankie.

Quote Originally Posted by Getintaethem View Post
    I notice that in Ireland even with no major party supporting withdrawal from the EU, there is a lot of support for them to leave the EU at same time as the UK as they see that their economy is far more dependent on the UK than the rest of the EU. Their two main export markets are the UK and USA - will both be outside the EU. They are also really worried that if tariffs were put on their beef industry, which is heavily reliant on UK exports, (Ireland is the only country in the EU adding more farms) would almost certainly transfer over to the UK.
    The last poll on this showed 70% of Irish voters wanting to stay in the EU so there certainly isn't any sizeable support for them wanting to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    A lot of the criticism of Sturgeon is simply because she's a woman. A lot of it is just pish like 'she should just get on with running the country'. She's the only party leader that even looks semi competent but that doesn't matter when you vote on the grounds that she also looks a bit like Jimmy Krankie.
    Extensive and thorough research by St. Andrews university found that those who stated she looked like Jimmy Krankie were in fact rabid Huns with rabid Hun morals, however, in some sad cases, closested rabid Huns.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho_panza View Post
    The last poll on this showed 70% of Irish voters wanting to stay in the EU so there certainly isn't any sizeable support for them wanting to leave.
    So 30% wanting to be independent from the EU is not a sizeable support? (without any major parties in Ireland supporting it, pushing it, discussing it etc.)

30% the historical figure of people in Scotland right up to 2014 that supported independence from the UK. (with one major party in Scotland standing for it, pushing for it and discussing it at every turn.).

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Extensive and thorough research by St. Andrews university found that those who stated she looked like Jimmy Krankie were in fact rabid Huns with rabid Hun morals, however, in some sad cases, closested rabid Huns.
    That would certainly seem to be the case

Well, I don't vote SNP (I remember what they did in 1979) and would never use gender as an excuse to attack anyone.

She may be semi-competent, but on her watch, and the previous non-female FM's, the services for which they have responsibility have diminished in quality and effectiveness.

I do have concerns, however, about the competence of nearly all Scottish ministers, possibly apart from Swinney, who has been handed Education as his brief, since Sturgeon, that tory ****er Russell, Hyslop and Constance have all had a shottie and screwed it up. Alex Neil was Shadow Education Minister when the Labour-Liberal coalition was in power, and he was far more competent than any who have had the portfolio in government. Moving Swinney, a relatively safe pair of hands, has resulted in Derek McKay (not the most stellar of individuals to have that name), being given the Finance brief, where he is clearly out of his depth and looks like Richie Byrne trying to deal with Jimmy Johnstone on a frosty pitch. He was ****ing useless as Transport Minister too. Keith Brown's probably the only other one in whose ability I'd have any confidence.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 06-03-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Spelling of Swinney

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    looks like Richie Byrne trying to deal with Jimmy Johnstone on a frosty pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Well, I don't vote SNP (I remember what they did in 1979) and would never use gender as an excuse to attack anyone.

She may be semi-competent, but on her watch, and the previous non-female FM's, the services for which they have responsibility have diminished in quality and effectiveness.

I do have concerns, however, about the competence of nearly all Scottish ministers, possibly apart from Swinney, who has been handed Education as his brief, since Sturgeon, that tory ****er Russell, Hyslop and Constance have all had a shottie and screwed it up. Alex Neil was Shadow Education Minister when the Labour-Liberal coalition was in power, and he was far more competent than any who have had the portfolio in government. Moving Swinney, a relatively safe pair of hands, has resulted in Derek McKay (not the most stellar of individuals to have that name), being given the Finance brief, where he is clearly out of his depth and looks like Richie Byrne trying to deal with Jimmy Johnstone on a frosty pitch. He was ****ing useless as Transport Minister too. Keith Brown's probably the only other one in whose ability I'd have any confidence.
    That's a big part of the Nat's problems, they have a load of really rubbish MPs (and MSPs).

I think Sturgeon is an able politician, which could be viewed as both compliment and insult simultaneously.
    The NATs are a largely ideologically fluid, single issue crew.
    Now, that's fine as far as it goes, but it means that, in Government, there's a helluva lot of plate spinning and tap dancing.

They can't be seen to be raising taxation, be that at a local or national level, as, due to electoral myopia, this would hurt their case for independence.

But the more I see of the vileness of Westminster, the more I crave an independent Scotland.
    I'll never vote for the NATs though.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    I'll never vote for the NATs though.
    I can understand people still holding a grudge to the SNP for 1979. What I canny understand is why I get pulled up for hating McInnes for the 1990s

Double standards

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast