+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of the union

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Mason, knuckle dragging IRA supporting Celtic fans are in favour of independence. How do you like being on the same side as them?
    Oh Jezzo !! pathetic post.

Quote Originally Posted by Getintaethem View Post
    and... "It's never your fault."
    Who would you blame?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Buc View Post
    We are in a huge hole already caused by Westminster.
    Scotland has limited powers and almost no actual fiscal powers. On the other hand Westminster has ultimate fiscal responsibility and all the important lever of power. so after careful consideration I agree with the poster Buc... Westminster has ultimately caused the fiscal problems Scotland is now facing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Who would you blame?
    Blame for what exactly? There are so many areas I could pick but lets take Scotland's poor record on Education? Once our crown jewel, respected the world over and the area that Sturgeon boasted, judge me by my results.

Scotland's schools have fallen to their worst position in the international league tables (below England for the first time in Maths, English and Science) or that in Scotland's own report, reading, writing and numeracy skills has fallen (not risen) and have become even worse in disadvantaged areas or that fewer than 1 in 10 people from disadvantaged areas in Scotland go onto study at University (worse than England, Wales or Northern Ireland)? There are many reasons for this poor performance but the fundamental point is failed SNP policies are driving standards down.

So more funding going into Scotland than the rest of the UK but worse results than the rest of the UK. On a devolved matter and on the SNP's watch.

All together now, "It's never our fault, it's never our fault, blame it on Westminster, it's never our fault."

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    Scotland has limited powers and almost no actual fiscal powers. On the other hand Westminster has ultimate fiscal responsibility and all the important lever of power. so after careful consideration I agree with the poster Buc... Westminster has ultimately caused the fiscal problems Scotland is now facing.
    Scotland is running the worst economic deficit in the western world at around 10% - far larger than the rest of the UK and even larger than Greece's.

Scotland has a hugely imbalanced economy reliant on oil. We are also growing three times slower than the rest of the UK but even with Scotland's slow economy the UK is still the fastest growing economy in the G7... faster than the USA, faster than Germany's.

Economic development is a devolved matter! The SNP could have been putting some of their extra funding they receive in comparison to the rest of the UK taking steps to rebalance the economy so that if the price of oil reduced we could have reduced this impact with other economic activity. No, instead of doing this, Salmond was boasting in 2014 that we did not need oil as it was the icing on the cake - wrong and that anyway in 2017 we would be having a mini oil boom - wrong.

At the moment, this deficit is taken care of by the rest of the UK. At Independence, this becomes our issue. This means that Scotland will need to increase taxes (£15bn is equivalent to £5,600 per year for everyone employed today in Scotland) and/or reduce spending. We would also not get the UK's low borrowing rate so we would need to spend even more money servicing the debt (money we would otherwise be able to spend on public services).

The SNPs record should be held to account. I don't think anybody would say it shouldn't. How would you think the SNPs poor record on education compares with renewing trident, noncing, tax payer funded hotel w@nks, the DWP suiciding off disabled claimants, arming folk taking pot shots at civilians in Yemen & Huns in general?

Obviously you're passionate about Scottish education but I can't help but feel you're using that as an excuse. Scottish independence & the SNP are not the same thing, although its not surprising you're confusing the two. I blame the skoolz.

Scottish independence & the SNP are not the same thing, although its not surprising you're confusing the two. I blame the skoolz.
    ^^This

It needs to be drilled into peoples head that a vote for independence isn't a vote for the SNP. I have expressed my own feelings on the SNP and Sturgeon over the last few months, having quit my membership, and yet when I tell people I support independence, I get questions like "I thought you weren't a member of the SNP anymore". Its true, I'm not, I'm a member of the Scottish Greens, but I will always continue to support independence. Why do the two have to go hand in hand and why cant people accept that they don't?

I personally cant stand Sturgeon, I have never ever taken to her and is the main reason why I quit my membership. I don't even particularly like her approach to indeyref2, but to meet my own agenda's I will back her on it because I want Scotland to be independent. If independence ever happened, then I would fully expect a general election to decide who runs the country and I would imagine support for the SNP would subside.

The SNPs record should be held to account. I don't think anybody would say it shouldn't. How would you think the SNPs poor record on education compares with renewing trident, noncing, tax payer funded hotel w@nks, the DWP suiciding off disabled claimants, arming folk taking pot shots at civilians in Yemen & Huns in general?

Obviously you're passionate about Scottish education but I can't help but feel you're using that as an excuse. Scottish independence & the SNP are not the same thing, although its not surprising you're confusing the two. I blame the skoolz.
    renewing trident - My own personal opinion is that I would personally rather there were no nuclear missiles but unilaterally declaring that we wont have them is not the way to reduce them. If the US did the same, Russia would hold the balance of power and would have no issue dominating even more countries. We would have a less safe world especially with the likes of North Korea and Iran either having or actively trying to build them. It is my own personal opinion. Economically, wrt Scotland it is peanuts.

noncing - I do not understand this in this context.

tay payer funded hotel w@nks - I do not understand this

the DWP suiciding off disabled claimants - all welfare powers are being transferred to Scotland so you do not need to worry about it. If the SNP Government had not decided to delay their adoption by three years then the SNP could have stopped DWP suiciding off disabled claimants in Scotland.

Yemen - this is a hugely complex area in its own right. However, Scotland cannot blame our problems in this country on Westminsters actions with respect to Yemen.

Huns in general - ?

I am not confusing the SNP and Scottish Independence. We were talking about blaming our problems on Westminster. Blaming Westminster is a SNP mantra which we hear every time they are in a spot of bother or want to stoke grievance.

edit: stoke not stock... i am dyslexic
    Last edited by Getintaethem; 20-03-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post

It needs to be drilled into peoples head that a vote for independence isn't a vote for the SNP.
    No one on here is saying it is. If you look at the thread on the previous page you will see that it started around blaming Westminster for Scotland's problems - and not explicitly about independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Getintaethem View Post
    and... "It's never your fault."
    As against, "It's always theirs"...

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast