+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Pork Pies

OT Pork Pies

This is not another thread about our strikers.

Had the pleasure on Saturday to sample a proper pork pie from Andrews butchers on Effingham Street. Proper crusty outside with real cured pork inside. The supermarket pork pies are nowhere near.

I'd forgotten how good a butchers pie can be.

So, if you eat them, which is your favourite pork pie ?

Once worked near 'Hepworth' and on Friday lunch ( elongated as a treat ) we went down to Holmfirth - 'Last of the summer wine' country.

At the bottom of the village this was a butcher that made the most wonderful pork pies and sold them warm - we took them next door to a olde world pub with fresh sawdust on the floor for a magnificent pint and this hot pork pie.

Now if there is a heaven - that's where I'll have my lunch.....

Agree good pies are hard to find - your advice will be followed...thanks

Don't eat them that often but I like to buy from the butchers, made the mistake of buying from a supermarket once, never again didn't even have jelly in them

Some years ago, whilst working in the Pe.nistone WMC, the steward gave us a couple of pies for lunch, best Id tasted at the time. I sourced them to a family butchers in the village of Jump near Hoyland and became a regular customer until leaving Rotherham.
    sorry I don't remember the butchers name.

Percy's at Jump Lincs. Best I've ever tasted and baked fresh every day. Don't really eat too many these days. They're not good for your health or so they say.

Percy Turners pork pies, from Church street, Jump near Barnsley.
    Voted at one time best pork pies in the Country.
    Best to order them, because people queuing down street for them, some people have orders of over 200 pies, when I have gone in, even seen Asian shopkeepers picking orders up of over 200 pork pies.
    If you don't want to travel to Jump for them, there is a open air market stall on a Tuesday at Rotherham, across from new Tesco supermarket, near bus station that sells them, large & small on offer.
    I sometimes order them Wednesday to collect Thursday, picking up a selection for friends & neighbours, while also putting a few large pork pies in the freezer, to save going every week.

Turners Butchers in Rillington village on the A64 about 15 miles from Scarbro make lovely pork pies, sausage rolls,and their steak pies are to die for if anybody is out that way on a day trip well worth calling in. Staniforths at rowmish are a good substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Percy Turners pork pies, from Church street, Jump near Barnsley.
    Voted at one time best pork pies in the Country.
    Best to order them, because people queuing down street for them, some people have orders of over 200 pies, when I have gone in, even seen Asian shopkeepers picking orders up of over 200 pork pies.
    If you don't want to travel to Jump for them, there is a open air market stall on a Tuesday at Rotherham, across from new Tesco supermarket, near bus station that sells them, large & small on offer.
    I sometimes order them Wednesday to collect Thursday, picking up a selection for friends & neighbours, while also putting a few large pork pies in the freezer, to save going every week.
    Hal Hal pork pies, thats a new n on me ELK.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    Hal Hal pork pies, thats a new n on me ELK.
    Tha knows what it is Archiemiller, the Asians shopkeepers will sell anything that makes em money, thing about it you can still get a pork pie at eleven clock at night, with hours they keep open.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Percy's at Jump Lincs. Best I've ever tasted and baked fresh every day. Don't really eat too many these days. They're not good for your health or so they say.

Thats the one Casper, I take it they must still be trading? Ive had a go at healthy eating, worst day of my life !

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast