+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Rowett

Clough was right for the time. The yanks put getting the books in order as the priority, success on the field was simply staying up!! Clough achieved that and built a solid base, yes he bought some crap but at least he did'nt pay 8.5 mill for his crap!! He had done the job asked and it was time to move on. Mac moved us on, played far better football and nearly got us over the line. However, since then we've blown hot and cold both off the pitch and on it. We now need to start again and Mel needs to begin this process by either confirming Mac as manager as per his contract or replacing him with someone else if he don't think Mac can rebuild us. Personally I would go for Rowett and move Mac upstairs. Mac's experience and Rowett's more dynamic approach could make a powerful combo!!

Clough is a below average manager even though I think Burton could do the double over us.

As for McLaren I think he is a great coach, proved that with England and Man Utd. As a manager he seems to do OK but only has one style of play and doesn't have a clue how to change it. He also likes putting square pegs into round holes. As a manager I don't rate him. Will back him while he's here but look forward to his successor!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Clough is a below average manager even though I think Burton could do the double over us.

As for McLaren I think he is a great coach, proved that with England and Man Utd. As a manager he seems to do OK but only has one style of play and doesn't have a clue how to change it. He also likes putting square pegs into round holes. As a manager I don't rate him. Will back him while he's here but look forward to his successor!
    But what does he have to do between now and the end of the season? Can't help wondering about the Martin factor too. If we understand right we'll be getting Martin back next season on a contract worth at least £40,000 per week but that seems to be because of the CM/SM 'love in'. What if we only pick another 20/25 or so points up from the remaining 45? Is that enough for Mel to keep faith with McClaren and if he goes where does that leave Martin who may or may not fit in with a new manager's ideas in much the same way as he didn't with Pearson's and Vydra doesn't appear to with McClaren's? Oh God...who'd be an owner...or a Derby fan?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

Adi...so would you stick with him or look elsewhere or does it depend on what sort of reaction he manages to get from the players over the next three months? Personally I still wish we'd gone for Rowett last summer. Sure we'd be in a better position than we are now but...we didn't so what next?
    I don't think the next 3 months really matter, our season was over months ago, whether we have a last hurrah or not won't change anything. He needs to make hard decisions / changes in the summer. If he doesn't then I don't see much future under him. So stick for now and assess come Nov / Dec.

My problem is with the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattea View Post
    If we had stuck with Clough and given him quarter the money ........

All our best and consistent players are still who he brought in. Oh in hindsight .... or not for some of us
    Ah the great Nostradamus arises once more to demonstrate his unique skills in foretelling the future!

Who pray are these best and more consistent players HE brought in?

A quarter of the money spent? Mm we cetainly wouldn't have spent the last three seasons in or aroud the play offs with Clough in charge, we'd ahve been mid table as we were for those tedious 4 plus years he was in charge.

Lets face it, IF he was as good as you say then he'd be managing Sheff Utd in the top half of the championship surely?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    But what does he have to do between now and the end of the season? Can't help wondering about the Martin factor too. If we understand right we'll be getting Martin back next season on a contract worth at least £40,000 per week but that seems to be because of the CM/SM 'love in'. What if we only pick another 20/25 or so points up from the remaining 45? Is that enough for Mel to keep faith with McClaren and if he goes where does that leave Martin who may or may not fit in with a new manager's ideas in much the same way as he didn't with Pearson's and Vydra doesn't appear to with McClaren's? Oh God...who'd be an owner...or a Derby fan?
    Make the play offs and win them! Regarding Martin that was another stupid move IMO. Why can't we just leave it and move on, I'm also surprised Mel ok'd the deal, what next a 20million bid for Hendrick!!!

Changes are needed to push us forward, but it looks like we'll be going backwards instead.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    I don't think the next 3 months really matter, our season was over months ago, whether we have a last hurrah or not won't change anything. He needs to make hard decisions / changes in the summer. If he doesn't then I don't see much future under him. So stick for now and assess come Nov / Dec.

My problem is with the players.
    I'd get rid and bring Rowatt in, but its hard to see that happening unless we have a melt down between now and the ne dof the season, but then If that happened I think McClaren would resign anyway.

Stability is probabely best, but the trouble is if its not working by next Dec we are ****ed for another season, now very pessimistic, for some reason Derby just cannot get it together, we now have an expensive team that is basically ****e!

Sentiment apart, there is little reason to look in Rowett's direction. He did well to keep Birmingham in the Championship when he joined and his record was decent. However many fans were very unhappy with the style of football he employed and it would be a leap of faith to think he would improve on what we have.

Don't think it's just sentiment sixties. He did well at Burton and very well, in the circumstances, at Brum, plus he's still based in Derby, has an obvious fondness for us and presents himself as an articulate young manager who commands the respect of his players.
    Not sure whether we should make yet another change before next season but if the wheels come off completely over the next fif**** matches it has to be a consideration. Either way, I agree with Swale...waiting until next November/December, as Adi suggests, just means another 'write off' of a season.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtiesram View Post
    Sentiment apart, there is little reason to look in Rowett's direction. He did well to keep Birmingham in the Championship when he joined and his record was decent. However many fans were very unhappy with the style of football he employed and it would be a leap of faith to think he would improve on what we have.
    I don't disagree, but we either want entertaining football and fall short on success..success = promotion? Or accept that in this division we need a pragmatic manager prepared to grind out results when required...oh wait we had one of those in Clement, one of the best young Uk managers, but hey ho thats not the "derby Way"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)