+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gary Rowett

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    No one, least of all me, is disputing that Clough did a decent job of stabilising Derby. That though is not the point. The football was dull, and the ambition totally limited. There was no expectation, he's not good at man management and to suggest, as you did, that we were dross free under Clough is complete nonsense as the examples I've provided prove.

Neither am I disputing that we have wasted money recently. We've had a much bigger budget since Mel took over and too many expensive signings haven't come off. Under Clough the budget was much smaller and tbf, he (or his brother) identified some good signings, but surely wasting £1.5m (Sammon and Maguire) out of a hypothetical £6m budget is much the same as wasting £10m (Vydra and Blackman) out of a £40m budget.
    At the end of the day, would you want Clough back at Derby? I certainly wouldn't and I doubt many Sheffield Utd fans would have him back there either.
    Both clubs are water under the bridge run by billionaires,one a total failure his club been in div1 for 6 seasons under 7 managers.
    The other guided by a C-E-O who talks a good talk if you are gullible,about football --i-e look son 30-million will get you 160-million from the premiership ,Point is has our owner learnt a lesson time will tell,according to some he has spent over 150 million on Derby so far,out of a estimated 500-million,So we might make it yet ,The way you work your budgets out,shows you have no concept of economics. You dont get it do you,SheffUtd fans did remove Clough--And Derby fans did not remove Clough.
    And it is a undisputed fact both clubs,Where in better shape,than when he arrived

Well if you're going to start being personal, my grasp of economics may be as limited as your English language skills, Trevor, but my point is, wasting £1.5m out of a £6m budget is much the same - percentage wise - as wasting £10m out of a £40m budget. There's a great deal of talk about how well Clough did with a 'limited' budget but the fact is, we could no more afford to lose that £1.5m from the budget we had then than we can afford to waste £10m - if indeed we have - now. You can't have it both ways.

As for Sheffield United being a 'water under the bridge' club...have a look at their current league position. They may have had some nice little adventures under Nigel but it took someone else to actually put them in a position to, as seems likely, achieve promotion. Likewise at Derby, stability had been restored but we were going nowhere, then McClaren took over and suddenly we were in the playoffs. Coincidence? I don't think so, but I won't be surprised if NC walks away victorious tonight...seriously hope not.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 21-02-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Personally I have long written off the play-offs so in many ways it won't bother me if the Brewers get something from tonight!! Indeed, I hope they stay up!! With regard to managers I was listening to Talksport this morning and they were heaping praise on the quality of managers in the Championship identifying a number of individuals with the potential to manage at the highest level. Not unsurprisingly neither Nige nor Shhteve got a mention!!

It was Clough that got the foundations laid at Burton, it was his team that got into league 2 (he came to us well past half way into the season, and Burton almost blew it under the caretaker), he laid the foundation for them to push on and make league 1, he then got his reward by guiding them out of league 1 into the championship, he deserved that after not getting the credit he should have got with their promotion from non league

He then arrives here and proceeds to work on one of the lowest budgets in the league (I don't care what Glick said at the time either, it was one of the lowest wage budgets in the league at the time), he then slowly builds the team that should have gone up in 14, and we've seen over the past 2 and half years just how great his team was, built on a shoestring budget it was the most entertaining team we've had since Jim Smith, and we've completely and utterly gone backwards with overspending on complete crap.

Say what you want about him, he's a great squad builder at this level, and can do it on a tight budget.

I'm not sure why we keep hashing over the Clough saga---it's over. BUT we are during an encore with McLaren. The definition of stupidity is during the same thing and expecting a different result. Would someone please explain to me why Rowett would not be ideal NOW. He seems to have done an excellent job in his previous 2 clubs. Also what happened to our wonder scouting team from Tottenham or wherever it was approx. 6 months ago. ( If only we could resurrect Peter Taylor ---he was incredible compared to the recent mob) Finally ,since I'm on my soap box, Sam R. is conspicuous by his silence, and it seems some of coaches in the academy do a great job and never get promoted--U 18 spring to mind. Final /final----it has gone very quiet on the academy expansion ? Comments welcome

I'm not sure Rowatt is the answer, think we'd be moaning about how negative and boring the team is within 5 games or so.

Stability is the key and Mac needs to build this team starting now and be given a chance to demonstrate that he actually can be a good manager...unfortunately I have my doubts.

Fully understand your sentiment----I've have become increasingly frustrated/ cynical about DCFC getting things right that I fear that when eventually we give up on SM----Rowett will be doing really well somewhere else. Steves career to date is not very impressive---he was a good #2 under Smith but that is different.
    Anyway where are we with the academy expansion and why has the St Mirren kid disappeared ???? Help

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)