+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff crucial.

Cardiff crucial.

Impossible to overestimate the importance of tonight's match. Cardiff will be buoyant after their Elland Road success and if we lose it's quite possible that by the time the Burton match comes around we'll be an unlikely eleven points off sixth place. Time for the players to really stand up and be counted...let's hope they turn up for the full ninety minutes tonight...COYR!

Team selection thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 14-02-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Unfortunately, I think every game is going to feel like this. Whilst we're not far off top 6 points wise, there are a lot of teams around us who will be fighting for that 6th place. I could see us winning this game and then loosing the supposed easy game in the run in. I have a sinking feeling that we just won't have enough and will finish in 8th place.

Reckon we'll win 2-0 and gain an unrealistic feeling of superiority, loosing the next 2-3 in a row. Glass half empty!

I agree Adi, I just don't see us suddenly finding that ***** ingredient..consistency! It's a problem caused by not being quite good enough meaning we need to perform every game, and that means every minute of every game, at or near to our best. We have shown that we can't do that!! I foresee a draw for this game and us just missing out on the play-offs. I just hope that as reality sets in that we can't get over the line we don't have another end to the season that so left of nasty taste when Mac then jumped ship!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Impossible to overestimate the importance of tonight's match. Cardiff will be buoyant after their Elland Road success and if we lose it's quite possible that by the time the Burton match comes around we'll be an unlikely eleven points off sixth place. Time for the players to really stand up and be counted...let's hope they turn up for the full ninety minutes tonight...COYR!

Team selection thoughts anyone?
    In a first-names-on-the-teamsheet stylee

Ince
    Carson
    Keogh
    Baird
    Pearce
    Bent
    Hughes
    Olsson
    Anya
    Then unfortunately perm two from any number of useless/makeweight/out of form midfielders. and there IMO is the problem, we have a powder puff midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Then unfortunately perm two from any number of useless/makeweight/out of form midfielders. and there IMO is the problem, we have a powder puff midfield
    Absolutely. I never got why we sold Hendrick, but didn't replace him. God knows what's wrong with Thorne, how long does a broken leg take to heal?

I've got to the point where I can't wait for the season to end and I'm hoping for a massive clear out of all the dead wood and playing some of the young kids. All this chucking cash to get to the promised land hasn't worked and isn't the way to go. I still think Mac isn't up to the job and has no plan b. I'm not even bothered now about reaching the play offs as it would only end up us bottling it again. A new approach is needed without splashing the cash.

I'd be happy for us to start preparing now for a new direction and don't feel that tonight's game is important.

Lets start by playing Christie and Lowe tonight for a bit of pace with Nugent and Vydra up front. Anything for a change, please!!!

You can be certain that Warlock will have told his henchmen that our midfield don't like it ''up 'em'', so they'd better be ready!! I agree that a bit of old fashioned gristle would'nt come amiss from our lot!!

It wasn't that long ago that we were in danger of spending a season fighting relegation, we then went on a very good run of form, but apparently we are now crap. It's good to see such support for the Rams!

Of course we are short of a number of players in key positions and lack strength in depth. We would be in the Premier if this wasn't the case. McClaren has done a good job in a short space of time and we play entertaining football again, but we seem to have fallen back into old ways and need to revert to pressing and moving the ball faster, especially from the back.

Blimey MoP...you sound like DCFCA today and KCG makes a fair point, we'd have been grateful to be in our current position back in October.
    There's surely a need to spend money, it's about spending it on the right players to suit the formation and style of play. Vydra and Anya aren't bad players but they were bought by a different manager with a different formation in mind.
    Supposing, as seems likely, we're in the Championship next season, it'll be just as difficult to go up as this season...quite possibly harder, so how do we compete without spending money on, first and foremost, a leader and a powerhouse midfielder?
    Back to tonight...any thoughts on keeping Baird at right back - at least he knows what he's doing - and moving Christie onto the right side of midfield. He's an athlete with more of a physical presence than most of our lightweights...always looked better as an attacking midfielder than a full back to me.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 14-02-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Back to tonight...any thoughts on keeping Baird at right back - at least he knows what he's doing - and moving Christie onto the right side of midfield. He's an athlete with more of a physical presence than most of our lightweights...always looked better as an attacking midfielder than a full back to me.
    Would definitely have Baird at right back, much more solid, vocal, and moves the ball quicker. If Christie actually played a pass or put a cross in when he gets in a good position, rather than trying to nutmeg the same defender 3 times, he'd be more a threat. Would have him on the bench personally, and keep Ince on the right.

Our options are pretty poor if we're thinking of putting Christie in midfield!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)