shopify analytics
+ Visit Newcastle United FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T what's your vice?

O/T what's your vice?

If you have any money left to spend on yourself after family, bills, food, etc, what do you spend it on? Nowt to do with 'how much', just interested in what folk are into?

For me, it's guitars. I own far more than a man with only one pair of hands reasonably needs (i.e. one ). Add a mandolin, banjo, dobro and ukulele-none of which I can play particularly well, and I've thoroughly overdosed on string instruments.

Should introduce you to my dad You'd get on like a house on fire over guitars - drives my mum mad the amount he has around.

Me it's probably books, not the most exciting of "vices" but i love reading.

Love having a hunt through a charity shop finding a decent book, in good nick for 2.

i just don't have any vices

Actually that's more to do with the fact i haven't the cash to indulge in them.

any cash i ever do have is quickly nabbed by the family for this that and t'other.

Guitars for me too, I`ve got a nice fender tele, yamaha bass. fretless bass, acoustic and about 10 grands worth of recording/performing kit oh and a 4k keyboard my mate doesn`t have the room to keep, music is the definite love of my life......that and gadgets like pc`s and laptops and home theatre. Currently got 3 sound systems in my lounge and 3 monitor systems in my office/studio. Started playing when I was 12, many moons ago......beyond that it`s holidays as as often as possible, the sunnier the better

Used to be guitars here, too, but I have it down under 10 these days and no plans to buy any more as I can't justify it to myself any more and have been trying to have less clutter generally I played in a reasonably successful rock band in my early 20s and toured round Europe on and off for a few years. Being a lefty, I always jumped on nice left-handed guitars when they popped up on Ebay and sometimes got a mate in Japan to buy them for me there, as the Japanese cater far better for lefties (there is a lefty-only guitar shop in Tokyo... one for the bucket list!)

would we recognize the name of the band nephy?

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    would we recognize the name of the band nephy?
    Fields of the Nephy-ilm?

Apologies

records ,lambrettas ,vespas and cars

sold my splitscreen so have a few pennys to spend

might get a vintage wurlitzer for the man cave and some neon art for the walls .

i have a few guitars
    two given to me by colin hodgkinson

not very good but i was once the guitar man in my boy back in the 80s

Pardon my ignorane but who's Colin Hodgkinson?

the very 1st rock band i saw live was when i was 14 at the blaydon races pub. they were americans called "sliced fingers" and i thought they were brilliant.. very like a cross between the stones/blood sweat and tears. i've never forgotten that night. haha probably before anyone else on here was born except for pat

zippy man stop confusing me

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    not very good but i was once the guitar man in my boy back in the 80s
    Ouch! How is your boy doing these days then?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Pardon my ignorane but who's Colin Hodgkinson?
    quite a famous bass guitar player from this kneck of the woods

played mainly blues etc but did play with whitesnake i believe on a few of their albums

he played in a really good band around here which was a mixture of great muscians
    me ad gizbut played with him once at a mates party back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Ouch! How is your boy doing these days then?
    hes doing fine but as im sure you are aware it was a teen magazine
    i was once page 7 fella in my guy as well (that too was a girls mag by the way )

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Fields of the Nephy-ilm?

Apologies
    You joke, but Nephy is a shortening of Nephilim, an online alias originally inspired by Fields Of The Nephilim when I was about 15! I didn't play in that band though, sadly

Doubt anyone will have heard of my band, we were called Le Chat Noir. We played one gig up in Newcastle to about 10 people, hehe! Over on the continent was were it was at for us. We had the most success in Belgium and played some big festivals over there, as well as lots of sweaty, packed little clubs etc. Great music scene over there, live music at a grass roots level isn't what it was in the UK.

Below is a link to the last band I was in, haven't gigged or recorded anything in about 5 years now

https://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/