+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Managerial options

Managerial options

I don't think there's the remotest chance we'll sack Mark McGhee before the end of the season but the board are going to have to make a pretty tough decision on his contract rather soon. He has indicated he wants to stay. So, options...

Keep him

The obvious against this is that we have frequently been awful this season, our record against the top five a disgrace, ditto the cups and - for whatever reason - a large chunk of our support just plain dislike him.

On the other hand, it's impossible to deny that taking Baraclough's squad to fifth was a great effort. Beyond that, as poor as we often are, we're not going to go down unless something dramatic changes in our form against the bottom seven.

More importantly, he has - albeit still too cautiously - shown a willingness to introduce the youngsters who are faring so well in the U20s right now.

Promote the assistant

It seems apparent McFadden is a Motherwell manager in waiting but less than half a season as assistant surely makes it way too soon. Beyond that, his latest public announcements suggest he hasn't yet given up on playing, however delusional that seems.

Promote the youth coach

The other classic move. Craigan showed little inclination of wanting the top job previously and it's doubtful if that has changed now. There's also a case to be made he's more important where is working on the long-term than being thrown into the results next week business of the first team - for the first time in ages, between him and Leitch (who now, incidentally, surely deserves a little credit after being slaughtered on his return?) we seem to have a youth system worthy of the name and it should not be risked.

On the other hand...if we are relying heavily on youth, who better to lead them than their previous coach? Lasley already works as U20 assistant, he can take over that properly when we nail his boots to the wall in summer. Ideally bump Hammell to U20 assistant and suddenly you have a 'boot room' system where the future is laid out and - in theory - we reap the benefit from some advance planning.

Bring in a new face

I've no idea who this would be though that's not a reason not to do it. Despite our financial issues, we're a top flight club of 30 years standing with a frankly astoundingly good run of finishes, one year excepted (3rd, 7th, 5th, 6th, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 11th, 5th for the record). We will still be an attractive option to coaches in Scotland and further afield, though restricted by the fact we can only consider free agents. On the other hand, there's always the risk we pick the next Baraclough....

Your points above are all very relevant and realistic in the appraisal of the options.

This season has turned into a nightmare in terms of results and performances. We should have a potent enough attacking style given the players, but spend far too much time trying to contain the opposition rather than making them worry about us. That has to be a tactical choice. It's been an epic fail.

In general the message coming from the club is about the financial troubles and maintaining the status quo. The manager himself has repeatedly said his mandate is to maintain league status and develop youth to be sold. A solid enough business model but a negative and frankly uninspiring model for fans wanting to see a level of ambition and to be excited every week, so in that sense there exists opposite expectations between club (via manager) and supporters.

I genuinely don't dislike MM, he's an all right bloke and have no issue with him leaving in the past or previous teams.
    My frustration comes from a team that are not progressing together, look unfit and uncommitted and look as if they are not sure what the should be doing. We are fragile and our tactics are obvious and ridged. That all falls on the managers shoulders.
    More frustrating is that many fans now except the doings from Hearts and Aberdeen as readily as from Celtic, they have bought into the business plan and question why other fans are angry at the displays we are enduring. As you suggest we are an established team and many feel the club has set its bar too low in terms of ambition, here lies the debate.
    I don't know the answer, I would like to see a manager in who has no fear and wants his players to be comited and fight every game. That doesn't mean I expect to win every game. The Scottish game isn't all that technical and a lot of times comes down to who tries hardest.
    Our current manager is not getting any of that from the players.

Quote Originally Posted by andyss1886 View Post
    We should have a potent enough attacking style given the players, but spend far too much time trying to contain the opposition rather than making them worry about us. That has to be a tactical choice. It's been an epic fail.

My frustration comes from a team that are not progressing together, look unfit and uncommitted and look as if they are not sure what the should be doing. We are fragile and our tactics are obvious and ridged. That all falls on the managers shoulders.
    I go along with that. Against the better teams we are far too cautious and our gameplan is predicated on stopping the opposition. Its not great to watch but more importantly its failing. In terms of the players, collectively they don't look fit and frequently fail to show fight and determination. However now is the wrong time to sack Mark McGhee. Big decisions though have to be made early in the summer. Irrespective of what the Board think, there's a good and growing number of fans who want change.

His main aim for the season is to avoid the drop. Any player sale or cup run is a bonus. Providing pathways for U20s is clearly happening.

No one expected us to win last night and no one expects us to win on Saturday. As has been said often, our battle is against the teams around us in the table.

This is part of my point above J. Are we just to accept the 7.2 against Aberdeen? 6.0 away to hearts, 3.0 at home to hearts? Because if your answer is yes, we're expected to get beat then there will be even more empty seats around you.
    The performances have not been good enough all season, no spin about playing a couple of lads can cover that up (that's when he plays them in the right position). And on this form I wouldn't bet on us staying up.
    There is a clear devide between fans who have accepted the way operate and those who don't. Can only agree to disagree.

We have a manager whose total aim is not to lose games,sounds good but when you look at it in depth he is really looking to get draws against the top four or five teams.He sets his team formations in such a way that it is impossible to see how we are attempting to win these games.Every player in our area defending corners/free kicks,resulting in no out ball for the players to play,allowing the opposition possession and the freedom to return the ball with interest back into our area.We invariably end up defending from about 25 yards out from our goal resulting in the football we are playing is long aimless kicks up the park with absolutely no positive end product has was the case last night. I'm a great believer of if you won't to defend than do so by attacking your opponents,limiting them space,possession and thinking time to punish your team. My application for manager's position is being typed as soon as I finish this post ������

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    His main aim for the season is to avoid the drop. Any player sale or cup run is a bonus. Providing pathways for U20s is clearly happening.

No one expected us to win last night and no one expects us to win on Saturday. As has been said often, our battle is against the teams around us in the table.
    Staying up has become the issue now that we're not competing for anything else. Hopes / expectations that we may have had at the start of the season have gone. Looking ahead, we're averaging a point a game - though we'll likely drop a tad below that on Saturday; keep that average going and we'll hang on. We'll have had, consecutively, two aways and one home game against the top three come Saturday and we'll still be in the fight. I'm not a 'happy clapper'; as far as it's possible to be a 'Well supporter and a realist at the same time that's how I try to look at our present situation.
    Our fate is still in our own hands. I'm not bursting with confidence, but I think we've got more than some of the other teams.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)