shopify analytics
+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clattenburg.

Clattenburg.

Apparently he's resigned from the Premier League and is going to Saudi Arabia. I wonder if money has anything to do with it! From a personal point of view I shall be glad to see the back of him. How he is rated so highly I do not understand. He gets far too many of the major decisions incorrect and has an arrogant attitude that 'puts my back up'. Whenever he referees there is more often than not a contentious incident. I was always under the impression that if you didn't notice the referee he's done a good job. You can never say that you don't notice Clattenburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Apparently he's resigned from the Premier League and is going to Saudi Arabia. I wonder if money has anything to do with it! From a personal point of view I shall be glad to see the back of him. How he is rated so highly I do not understand. He gets far too many of the major decisions incorrect and has an arrogant attitude that 'puts my back up'. Whenever he referees there is more often than not a contentious incident. I was always under the impression that if you didn't notice the referee he's done a good job. You can never say that you don't notice Clattenburg.
    Supposed to be the best referee in the world...there must be some right trash about if that's the case.

The arrogance of Prattenburg was always breathtaking....a "look at me" attitude the same as Jeff Winter and Graham Poll always had,the game is always about them and not the players.

Even on a Sunday morning we used to have to suffers fools with this same type of mentality,the best referees were always the down to earth blokes who'd have a laugh with you whilst officiating,if they told you to shut up and get on with it then you did because they'd gained your respect with their general attitude and jokey approach to things.

Tax inspectors,council officers and traffic wardens always made terrible refs.

Most refs strike me as the sort of blokes who were useless at football at school and spend the rest of their lives trying to get their own back on anyone who can actually kick a ball straight.

Makes me think of that smirk on his face when 'super, super Rob, super Robbie Styles' rang round the ground!

Think he could be pursuaded to take Dean and a couple of the others with him ?

Agree with all comments about Clattenburg. Easily the most arrogant incompetent buffoon ever to ref in recent years though was Uriah Reny. Absolute t@at

Those of you who played local league, did you ever come across Harry Powell? He had been an old Division 1 ref and used to wear all his EUFA badges etc. Always gave a lecture pre match that went on for 15 minutes about how he once booked Bobby Moore and George Best. Never moved outside the centre circle as he was in his 70s even then

That Tw+t Marriner. Biased sack of sh+t.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Agree with all comments about Clattenburg. Easily the most arrogant incompetent buffoon ever to ref in recent years though was Uriah Reny. Absolute t@at

Those of you who played local league, did you ever come across Harry Powell? He had been an old Division 1 ref and used to wear all his EUFA badges etc. Always gave a lecture pre match that went on for 15 minutes about how he once booked Bobby Moore and George Best. Never moved outside the centre circle as he was in his 70s even then
    We had former top ref David Smith reffing us down here in the 80s. He was very good.

We also had one of the top refs in the town during the mid sixties - How many remember Bill Clements

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-cup-final-5

Clattenburg is the ref' for the game against Bournemouth .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39032674

Just our luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Clattenburg is the ref' for the game against Bournemouth .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39032674
    Yeah...he has to serve his notice....

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post

I encountered old Harry a fair few times, last time was in the Kidderminster League around 2008ish, his pre match lecture was something of legend! There was always a mention of how he understood every language going, even Swahili. He often saved a special one us Black Country teams based on his perception of our liking for the 'industrial' language which he would not tolerate. I think if you're willing to search on YouTube one of his speeches was recorded on a mobile phone.

I got talking to him one day and he even refereed my old man back in the 60's & 70's!

Quote Originally Posted by The Minn Junta View Post
    I think if you're willing to search on YouTube one of his speeches was recorded on a mobile phone.
    Here you go MJ .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-VWbaEQFs

😁 that's the one! Bless him.

He once stopped a game and called me as manager from the side line all the way into the centre circle to take a boll ocking! I argued my point respectfully and we ended up getting along but he really needed to jack it in, as Stripes said he never left the centre circle. My argument that day was that he should have awarded us a penalty as an offence took place inside the box and he only gave a free kick, there was no way he could see it where he was! Especially with poorly marked Sunday pitches.

He still won though by making me do the walk of shame!😆

Harry was s legend and a "bellend" rolled into one.

I first encountered him around 1997 when I was making my return to Sunday football at the age of 35,my brother and I played played for the same team in the Kiddie Sunday League.

"I've refereed at the very top and I'm now at the very bottom dealing with you lot" to which my brother replied....."thanks a f kin lot"" for the confidence boost" at which point Harry threatened to book him before he'd even got his kit on!

He pointed to his FIFA badge on his chest and said...."I didn't get this at Tescos you know!

Harry used to bring his little dog with him to games and tied his lead to the car door and our subs would ocaissionally let him off the lead so Harry would have to chase after him.

At one match Harry turned to my late dad and said...."would your run the line for me sir" and my dad declined and said he was waiting for a triple heart bypass ( which was true ) and Harry said...."I've had three heart attacks and a quadroople heart bypass so if I can ref I think you can manage the line!!

Harry was never happier than when he was dishing out the red cards,often to the wrong player because his eyesight was so bad. Gary Fox our left back used to shout "you blind old c unt" whilst hiding behind another player and Harry would go nuts and book a totally innocent player.

Harry has been dead a few years now I gather.

Another useless old t wat of a ref was Ernie Pike who helped run the league,he was knocking 80 and still reffing and was as blind as a bat and the most officious little w anchor you would come across,he looked like Sergeant Bilko.

Who were you with on a Sunday Minn?

I played for and managed VSK 200,Old Swinford Shrub,Bird Rangers and Active FC......same bunch of lads playing under different names between mid 90's to around 2004 season?

Great days,I still miss em and like to think I could still do a job if called on in an emergency now but no doubt I get a nasty shock!!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

I first encountered him around 1997 when I was making my return to Sunday football at the age of 35,my brother and I played played for the same team in the Kiddie Sunday League.

"I've refereed at the very top and I'm now at the very bottom dealing with you lot" to which my brother replied....."thanks a f kin lot"" for the confidence boost" at which point Harry threatened to book him before he'd even got his kit on!

He pointed to his FIFA badge on his chest and said...."I didn't get this at Tescos you know!

Harry used to bring his little dog with him to games and tied his lead to the car door and our subs would ocaissionally let him off the lead so Harry would have to chase after him.

At one match Harry turned to my late dad and said...."would your run the line for me sir" and my dad declined and said he was waiting for a triple heart bypass ( which was true ) and Harry said...."I've had three heart attacks and a quadroople heart bypass so if I can ref I think you can manage the line!!

Harry was never happier than when he was dishing out the red cards,often to the wrong player because his eyesight was so bad. Gary Fox our left back used to shout "you blind old c unt" whilst hiding behind another player and Harry would go nuts and book a totally innocent player.

Another useless old t wat of a ref was Ernie Pike who helped run the league,he was knocking 80 and still reffing and was as blind as a bat and the most officious little w anchor you would come across,he looked like Sergeant Bilko.

I played for and managed VSK 200,Old Swinford Shrub,Bird Rangers and Active FC......same bunch of lads playing under different names between mid 90's to around 2004 season?

Great days,I still miss em and like to think I could still do a job if called on in an emergency now but no doubt I get a nasty shock!!
    I think Harry Powell was still reffing up until he died. Your right though Mick, he had the potential to be a real b***end. His style even before kick off was like that of a headmaster lecturing a bunch of 10 year olds which might have helped him keep order but didn't necessarily earn him respect. I played in goal and if there was a corner, you could always get a foul from him if you acted up as if you had been fouled as he couldn't see what was happening from the centre spot so had to assume the keeper had been fouled.

I played in the Kidderminster Saturday League. The village I played for didn't have a pitch so we used to play in Kidderminster near the Horsefair as you come into Kidderminster from the Stourbridge direction. As we were in Kiddy itself, we used to get all of the luminaries from the local Kiddy League such as Ernie Pike and Harry Powell mostly because they didn't have to travel. Ernie Pike was League Secretary I recall as I had several meetings with him when I was stand in club secretary for a season. There was a father and son who used to ref by the name of Stock. The old man headed up the local refs and the son who wasnt that old rose miraculously through the local reffing ladder despite not being able to run very far.

Happy Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post

Thats a great find 68.

I may be wrong but i think clattenburk was suspended for having an affair with his business partner's wife and there was also some sort of conflict of interest.

Him resigning and going to Saudi and blaming the refs body for not backing him, etc, etc is a smokescreen and hiding the real reason which is money.

I bet if the prem doubled his wages he'd stay.

Glad to see the back of him, but would have preferred the viler Marriner to have gone instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

I didn't realise he was dead now, I'm sorry to hear that.
    He was a bugger though, I often remember seeing his name next to our fixture and thinking "for fux ake!" I know they confined him to Div 3 and below so as we climbed the divisions I was honestly glad to see the back of him. I took management seriously, unlike my playing days, when regrettably, I took drinking more seriously, so to see him fcuk things up didn't go down well at all.

Ernie Pyke! Fcuk me, there's another one! Old Emu legs as my mate called him. He ran a tight ship, still does I believe. People like Ernie aren't popular because they do everything to the letter but the Kiddie League had a good reputation and you have to admit he played a big part in that. People like him are only ever missed once they've gone. I wasn't his biggest fan and he drove us mad at times but I reckon I knew how to get the best out of him.
    We left the Dudley & Cradley Heath League to play on better pitches, have better refs, enjoy the higher standard, it was known to us that he said he didn't want teams from the Black Country. I got the impression our lot winning stuff in the Kiddie League didn't go down well with the locals!
    I have to say though, some of the best pitches Iv ever played on were in the Kiddie League, Gilt Edge, Mostyn Rangers, Chainwire, Lea Castle (far pitch) even most of Brown Westhead Park but particularly the carpet company works pitches.

As you say Mick, happy days, I too reckon I could still do a job, even though my knees will tell me different!
    I don't know those teams you mentioned but I recognise a couple of boozer names from Oldwinford. As you know there is a high turnover in Sunday sides, we just made it past 10 years but it faded after that. We enjoy anonymity on here so one of the days I'll tell you over a pint the name of our lot😉,we were probably after you'd finished though by the sounds of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast