+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Huddersfield Town a team with a clear identity and a budget similar to Rotherham

We're we a winner at don valley ??

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    Suppose it's all down to whether you want to be a winner or an also ran !
    Not as simpla as that though is it?, we all want to be winners, but the realists among us 'realise' that to compete we put ourselves in danger of massive debt.
    I for one, would rather be an also ran and have a club to support, than gamble on the off chance we succeeded in that gamble.(unless, of course, there's a chinese billionaire willing to blow a few million on us!)

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Not as simpla as that though is it?, we all want to be winners, but the realists among us 'realise' that to compete we put ourselves in danger of massive debt.
    I for one, would rather be an also ran and have a club to support, than gamble on the off chance we succeeded in that gamble.(unless, of course, there's a chinese billionaire willing to blow a few million on us!)
    So whats the bull shine about should be top ten pushing for play offs Prem in 3,4 years he's (T/S) either got to put up or shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    So whats the bull shine about should be top ten pushing for play offs Prem in 3,4 years he's (T/S) either got to put up or shut up.
    Yep, exactly that, bull shine like you say.

So ignoring the story how the club changed the way they approached the game and how they weren't a team happy just to be in the championship finishing fourth from bottom, the main gripe is that our wage bill is not going to be the same as theirs, as TS has stated.

I do think that the their wage bill is going to be higher than ours, but not double. The info we have available is from the end of 2014 with a wage bill of £5mill and theirs was £12mill. In the last two years we have replaced nearly all of that team which were on L1 & L2 wages with "championship" players with higher wages (even blackstock is reported to be on more than £1/2mill a year). Our wage bill is likely closer to £10mill this season, Huddersfields will have gone up a bit, but their £12mill wage from two years ago wont have changed that much as it was already based on championship players/wages.
    Last edited by fc_miller; 18-02-2017 at 07:36 AM.

The only thing that stands comparison between the 2 clubs is that we are both from Yorkshire towns, everything else is chalk and cheese.

They have a owner who is worth serious money so has the cash to gamble big on reaching the promised land, we on the other hand do not so are living within our meagre means.

Competing at the top end of the Championship and turning a profit at the end of the year do not belong in the same sentence.

You make a good point a123.

Which one is best though because chasing the dream is brilliant but look at Portsmouth??

I'm not having a go Im just saying it's a dangerous game to play.

Two "reliable" sources put Blackstocks wages at 10k & 7.5k

Bradshaw will be on similar wages and with 650k ( some say more ) to buy him and he's scored 6 now I think. He has hardly been the buy of the season.

I really think that the money involved in football has shocked TS - particularly this year - because average players are selling for stupid money.

We have shown restraint !

And that's why we are where we are !

TS hasn't been sucked into the big boys world of "our budget is bugger than yours" - a rich man's "bravado" .

He struck a budget and had plan "A".

Plan "A" was to buy players we could afford - mould them into a football team and see how it goes. It was going OK but not good enough for anti-social media and the pressure got to him and he pulled the plug.

He tried KJ but with the wage restraints and purchasing power he knew ( because of his championship experience ) we had no chance.

Plan "B" was throwing money at it which was never going to happen.

Plan"C" is let Warnsey take us down and we'll get a new manager in place
    ( probably already in place ) to prepare everything for league one.

Warnsey isn't expected to do the business and will not be lynched for taking us down - so - with all the propaganda blaming AS - and not the budget restraints - the jobs a gud-un.

A non fault ( I gave it my best best ) blame AS - PW "tried" relegation.

A cunning plan apart from blaming an innocent man ! Because AS did what he could with the tools he was given !

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    You make a good point a123.

Which one is best though because chasing the dream is brilliant but look at Portsmouth??

I'm not having a go Im just saying it's a dangerous game to play.
    I suppose to some extent it depends how you define ambition and risk.
    Huddersfield's owner Dean Hoyle is a genuine fan and also a seriously wealthy businessman. In 2014 he had loaned the club £37 million over a 6 year period which is a hell of a big number but nevertheless is only a fraction of his net worth.
    He may not be too concerned if he doesn't get all that money back but, if Huddersfield get into the Premier League he will comfortably be able to recoup the money he has "risked"........and some.
    I don't know how the financial strategy at Huddersfield fits into the Financial Fair Play rules but Dean Hoyle seems to be comfortable with what they are doing.
    Our chairman, who saved our club from oblivion, is a wealthy man but not in the same league as Dean Hoyle.
    On the face of it Tony Stewart is ambitious although some of his statements have been ill advised. He claims to have put a lot of his own money into the club but presumably does not have the wherewithal or inclination to risk large sums to achieve the impossible dream. And who can blame him.
    As someone said, both clubs are in Yorkshire but there the similarity ends.

Another significant factor of course is the considerable difference in abilities of the two managers.
    Huddersfield gambled on a man with experience as an assistant manager in the German Bundesliga whereas we went for a cheaper option.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast