+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lack of Goals.

Lack of Goals.

During the last four games, two against teams below us in the table, we have scored one and conceded six. The amateur scribes who reply to the E&S reports, in unison, are crying out for a striker. A soldier can have the best gun in the world but if he has no bullets the gun is useless.

I am not sure that playing one up front is the answer either. Our midfield is just not creative enough. They are not supplying the bullets. Several times on Saturday, Bod sent over good crosses to know one. He should be the one getting on the end of the crosses, not instigating them.

With a large squad it is difficult to keep all of the members happy, so to a degree I can understand the managers problem. However, the constant switching is not leading to consistency or understanding. Recently the two youngsters, Connor and Bright have been our best performers, yet some supporters are critical of playing the 'kids'. They play without fear and do things that some players are afraid to attempt, for fear of ridicule.

Good strikers cost fortunes, but they rely on good service. Oh for a Fabregas.

I read somewhere recently a suggestion that Edwards should be considered for the main striker role. I think that, with Bod playing just behind or alongside him, we could do a lot worse. We need a 'terrier' who is constantly looking for the opportunity. At least Edwards knows where the goal is!

No Woking....Square pegs in round holes. I'd rather give young Wilson a try with Bodvarson than have Edwards play the role.

Quote Originally Posted by theplater View Post
    No Woking....Square pegs in round holes. I'd rather give young Wilson a try with Bodvarson than have Edwards play the role.
    Yep. Ronan and Bright have performed decently when given the chance. Might be time to give the younger forwards a chance to score some goals. Shame Ennis is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by theplater View Post
    I was thinking of those normally selected to play in the first team squad. Yes, I would like to see Wilson given a go. As for square pegs in round holes we will never know if he is not given the opportunity. His heading ability is better than most so I would not be against giving him the chance.

A point made by Abbo with regards to Bodvarsson, it reminded me of Kevin Doyle, playing the lone striker role, putting decent crosses into the penalty area and crying out for another forward to get on the end of it. A striker knows where he wants the ball played.

Creativity is a massive problem for Wolves, i go back to the Wigan game, Connor Ronan did more when switched to a central midfield area than those with more experience. He looked to go forward, pass and move and got things going. He has a big future ahead of him.

At this moment in time Wolves when playing at home need to go for it more, don't go for the cautious approach. When Wolves sit back, it invites pressure, we also sit off the opposition too much. For me, our game and set-up is more suited away, hit sides on the break. It's when we have to take the game to the opposition that's a big problem.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)