+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Queens record score

Queens record score

Further to the posts on another thread as regards the record score, be it 12-1 v Whithorn or 11-1 v Stranraer, I got in touch with a friend who is more into the history of the game than I am and asked his opinion. He came back with the following -

It's a tricky one as 'record score' is open to all sorts of interpretations. Take Hearts, for example, their record competitive score for a first team match is 21-0 v Anchor in the Edinburgh (East of Scotland) Shield, but they generally use 15-0 v King's Park in the Scottish Cup.

The general convention is to take a score from the three major national competitions, ie Scottish League, Scottish Cup and League Cup, and I guess you could also throw European competition into the mix (as Celtic nearly did earlier this season). As far as I know, that covers all the record victories and defeats which are usually quoted.

While the Qualifying Cup was a national competition, by its very nature it was not open to all the clubs. But that logic would also mean that the Challenge Cup would not count.

At the end of the day it is personal preference but I would stick to the 11-1 v Stranraer, and mention the Whithorn win as record 'in all competitions'.

Seems fair enough.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)