We can always remember the past but we can only opinion-ate on the future.

I often wonder where the local Nottinghamshire leagues went to. At one time of day we had a proper local pyramid that seemed to work well. From memory we had in ascending order - the Youth league, the Notts Minor league, the Notts Realm league, the Notts Combination league, the MAA and Spartan league and finally the Notts Alliance. Semi pro football then started with the Central Alliance and then the Midland league who at one time included Notts and Forest reserves and Peterborough United.

I remember playing in the Alliance senior division with Bestwood Colliery, Boots and Gedling Colliery who all had good grounds and like all Alliance grounds had to have showers. Player's on Aspley Lane was a great pitch but Basford United's Mill street ground, Parliament St Meths and Raleigh's pitches weren't so good.

Gedling Colliery and Eastwood Town were the kingpins in the late 50's early 60's and would you believe that when Gedling played Bishop Auckland and Pegasus in the old Amateur cup, 3-4000 packed into Plains Road to watch.

Also the Football Post carried a short report on all senior Alliance games, including the line-ups. Some bloody good footballers about then, especially from the Meadows (Albion) area. Anybody still alive to remember these days please comment.

I'll get back to me bath chair!