+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red squirrel hunting in Cumbria

Red squirrel hunting in Cumbria

I had a brainwave last night,if I wanted to see a red squirrel then there can't be any better time then now to do so what with trees being bare of leaves and therefore easier to spot a squirrel so at 6am I set off to Cumbria and visit first Carlisle and then Keswick
    Carlisle is a wonderful place,parked right next to the castle and just a stones throw from the cathedral and shopping area,what a fantastic thing it is to have a stunning castle right in the centre of town,its things like this that I love,had a walk around the shops and then stopped for a sandwich and a cup of tea,having spotted the tourist information centre I was disappointed to find it closed so went over to view the cathedral just around the corner,tbh I was slightly disappointed with it but that maybe because I was spoilt with Ely Cathedral last week,I would have loved to have spent longer in Carlisle but I was on a quest to spot a red squirrel so headed off to Keswick, i had spotted the signs for it on the A66 so I didn't bother setting the satnav and set off.....and ended up in Kendal,I didn't bloody realise until I noticed how many shops in 'Keswick' sold Kendal mint cake! Anyway I bought a couple of cakes to try (I highly suspect that they aren't cakes by how hard they feel) and set the satnav to Keswick, ii had no idea what Keswick would be like,I had visualize a small village with a wood with red squirrels in it and a pub,but no,what a great place it is and it was packed out with visitors, it was a lot larger than I had ever thought and a delight to see,after walking around I headed up to a nature path that was full of squirrels so I was told but I didn't spot a single one yet again, im beginning to think that they are a bit of a myth or maybe should have headed to Formby as Alf has suggested so many times in the past,never got to visit the pencil museum but would have liked to,twelve hours and 418 miles later and its been a great day out,I'm def going to pay Cumbria another visit but will stop overnight next time,its a great place Griff

Name:  IMG_20170305_114440.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20170305_135120.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20170305_120739.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20170305_114205.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  97.3 KB

These are the best public seating that I've ever seen

Name:  IMG_20170305_174637.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  99.8 KB

Why are the mint cakes different colours? Are they different flavours?

Nee pictures off of receipts.

3/10

Quote Originally Posted by Pentridge View Post
    Why are the mint cakes different colours? Are they different flavours?
    I suspect that the fact that one off of them says "brown" and the other "white' might be an bit of a giveaway

I hope that you walked down to the lake at Keswick, Chalky; a lot of folk go there on the lash and don't even know that there is one. Next time, if you drive down the side of Bassenthwaite to the Mirehouse carpark and walk up to the osprey watch-point the staff put out food for the birds and squirrels so you stand a better chance of seeing one or two. You need to keep your eyes on the tree-trunks because they run round them in a spiral rather than up or down.

#squirrelfactsforbeginners

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)