+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: same old again

same old again

Another frustrating night against another struggling team. They defended very well last night but come on CC you've had all season to find a way to beat teams like Burton on home soil.

Oi DMB....same Owds is the preserve of them feckless goons!! 😜😄😄

Most of the match Burton played 5-4-1.....much of second half 6-3-1. Possession/shots stats speak for themselves.
    With negative nige in charge quelle surprise - although I think we had probably enough crosses in and at least one fantastic opportunity which should have been converted.
    Couldn't fathom why when we had a break, instead of racing up the pitch to create say 3v3....we hung back until they loaded their defence?
    Midway thru 2nd half a clear pen...defender with arm up, blocking the cross.
    Aside from that, the Burton goal was one of the best volleyed goals I've seen at S6 all season.....Westwood had no chance.

Most of all though, with teams like Burton (who throughout the whole season practice & perfect getting ten men behind the ball), we absolutely must be deadly at corners or free kicks which go into the box....those are the situations we can flood the box/match their numbers.

Going 1-0 up early in the second half should have been the catalyst to finishing them off. Burton abandoned the game plan and came at us for 5 minutes; reaping the rewards of their all or nothing approach by getting a world-class equaliser.

After that it was back to plan a and sitting 10 men behind the ball. It's another example of us struggling to breakdown a team that comes to Hillsborough and takes advantage of the fact Carlos has no plan b. It's extremely frustrating when others in the top 6 don't share our struggles against the bottom sides in this division.

Full credit to Burton though. It's a fantastic achievement for them to still be sitting pretty outside the bottom three when you consider just how small their playing budget is. Good luck to them and I hope they stay up - certainly deserved the 3 points at their place earlier in the season.

Good news for us is that we've only got Rotherham left to play down at the bottom I believe?

I listen to P and G every night callers question CC's tactics and the no plan B the presents seem to side with CC saying what else can you do when the opposition park the bus. Well Brighton put 4 past them Leeds 2, other teams in the top six can why can't we ?

Had they not scored an exceptional goal when they did and had our finishing been anything like, perhaps we might have scored 2 or 3.
    Time and again good teams lose to 'park the bus' outfits.....they push too hard and get hit on the counter.

It'd be nice to have the penetration of Barcelona....deft and clever passing, but it isn't there.
    So for me it's plenty of crosses in from the wings....give our strikers a chance each and every time when it's a corner/free kick being crossed into the box.....rehearse a game plan so that on the few occasions when Burton weren't behind the ball (theyre attacking our box), our quickest players are primed to break quickly on the counter...even the numbers up.....how many times do we see goals from the counter attack.

Negative Nigel clough would LOVE to sucker punch a Wednesday team who suddenly went attack attack attack.

fantastic strike by their player and no keeper would have got near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestripe View Post
    Had they not scored an exceptional goal when they did and had our finishing been anything like, perhaps we might have scored 2 or 3.
    Time and again good teams lose to 'park the bus' outfits.....they push too hard and get hit on the counter.

It'd be nice to have the penetration of Barcelona....deft and clever passing, but it isn't there.
    So for me it's plenty of crosses in from the wings....give our strikers a chance each and every time when it's a corner/free kick being crossed into the box.....rehearse a game plan so that on the few occasions when Burton weren't behind the ball (theyre attacking our box), our quickest players are primed to break quickly on the counter...even the numbers up.....how many times do we see goals from the counter attack.

Negative Nigel clough would LOVE to sucker punch a Wednesday team who suddenly went attack attack attack.
    rhodes was cm's off putting that cross across the box away in 2nd half.i'll take 6th now as it's a lottery and you never know.

Yet again same old story from the blue and white wizards at S6 against Reading on Fri just as with the Burton Game.

I know mate... but at least Fulham did us a favour.

Quote Originally Posted by braggyowl View Post
    I know mate... but at least Fulham did us a favour.
    Didnt expect wolves to turn over fulham away from home like that. I think sixth place really is ours to lose, next three games are massive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)