+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Yates

Jerry Yates

A number of posters earlier in the season made a lot of noise asking why we didn't play Jerry Yates.

I trust that these football experts now know the answer!

I've had my say on another thread

Quote Originally Posted by kempo View Post
    A number of posters earlier in the season made a lot of noise asking why we didn't play Jerry Yates.

I trust that these football experts now know the answer!
    Just what the lad needs,a moron "fan" slagging him off.

You can go through all the side how many have come up to scratch this season. Vaulks, Ajayi, Wood, Adeyemi, Frecks when fit & D Ward.

Questions about our 2 keepers. Smallwood was terrible Tuesday. No wingers, no height up front. Blackstock a waist of a wage.
    What chance as Yates got with Taylor shortest player at the club along with Dawson up front with him.

I think we are playing the wrong game for JY to look anything like his best. He is never going to win a high ball from a keeper's kick or for that matter from midfield. He doesn't seem to be able to control the ball when it is played to his feet when he has his back to goal and a defender hassling him. That is not uncommon with certain strikers. Jerry Yates looks much better when he is being fed balls down the channels with his feet and face looking towards goal. He can feed off Danny Ward with success if he is coached. He is a poacher of goals and that is in his genes. He has pace.

At only 5'9" tall, playing him as a lone striker and/or hitting high balls for him to head backwards to no one is I think, pointless. A good coach would help him come on leaps and bounds but I guess he gets hardly any one to one.

He's only 20 years old and has been thrown into an awful team which is struggling big time in the Championship, even Messi would struggle. In case we have forgotten, he was only playing National League footy last season - with Harrogate. Played 8 times and scored 5 goals. This is not a young player to be thrown into the cauldron imo. He wasn't ready for the Championship but may well be a star in L1, assuming we get a manager in who can help him.

I hope we give him our support. It is not his fault that we are so bad.

He could thrive in a decent side with a bit of encouragement rather than slagging him off.

Yates is a goal poacher, a fox in the box. The player he is most like from the last 10 years is Alfie (not suggesting he is as good). Can you imagine hoofing the ball for 90 minutes to Alfie??
    He might be good enough next year but we will have to wait till next year to find out.

Indeed we will, and to an extent I agree.

He needs a Leo Fortune-West type player alongside him.

He's not tall enough or strong enough to play lone striker.

Playing him as the lone striker will inevitably damage his development and confidence and expose him to further silly criticism

Plus when he's not in the first team he gets no development at all.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast