+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wolves Post Match Thoughts

I went and have to say well done Warney, met with my friends who are Wolves fans before and they said their big problem is breaking teams down. (I said don't worry we'll give em a goal and we did, crap from Ajayi...)

But with that in mind Warne got the tactics dead right and the loss wasn't his fault - right up to the last moment of first half the players kept their concentration and stuck to only pressing when Wolves crossed the half way line, getting their players and fans frustrated when they're playing the ball round the back and we dealt well wi most stuff (shaky defening corners though). Then got the two clear chances and what can you do if your main striker's missing those?

Then the Taylor and Yates subs worked pretty well and were well timed I thought, and we got some pressure going.

For next year I think if we stick with Smallwood and Frecks then that's fine as a L1 central two - as long as you have two quick wingers and focus play out wide. Taylor fits the bill, not seen enough of Bray yet to see if he's quick enough. Forde's not nippy enough I don't think with a slow central two.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Interestingly though Paul Lambert thought it was a good game for them to have as well and one they had to win.
    I guess it depends which side of the fence you're on but everyone knows their squad has a lot more quality than ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by harpo88 View Post
    I went and have to say well done Warney, met with my friends who are Wolves fans before and they said their big problem is breaking teams down. (I said don't worry we'll give em a goal and we did, crap from Ajayi...)

But with that in mind Warne got the tactics dead right and the loss wasn't his fault - right up to the last moment of first half the players kept their concentration and stuck to only pressing when Wolves crossed the half way line, getting their players and fans frustrated when they're playing the ball round the back and we dealt well wi most stuff (shaky defening corners though). Then got the two clear chances and what can you do if your main striker's missing those?

Then the Taylor and Yates subs worked pretty well and were well timed I thought, and we got some pressure going.

For next year I think if we stick with Smallwood and Frecks then that's fine as a L1 central two - as long as you have two quick wingers and focus play out wide. Taylor fits the bill, not seen enough of Bray yet to see if he's quick enough. Forde's not nippy enough I don't think with a slow central two.
    Of course Paul Lambert thought it a good game to have, bottom of the table, no quality in the side and no away win all season a chance to stop a run of defeats. If Wolves had lost the home crowd would have gone into meltdown. They started booing from ten minutes in, even with a win and three points they booed them off at full time and not just from one section of the crowd.

harpo, good assessment Paul Warne did get the tactics right, just the usual end result.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Do you think it was a penalty Casper? I've just had a look and to me it looks 50/50 from both players.

You it have been a penalty if it was at the other end?
    topsy, I`m biased I wear the red & white. Both players were holding each other, neither player had full control of the ball and both players went to ground simultaneously.
    If it had been awarded to us I would have been more than happy but would have thought it fortunate. Quite a few Wolves fans ( not all ) thought they were fortunate.
    Not seen a replay on TV to confirm but in my opinion it was harsh.

EDIT : read the Paul Davis report, he also thought it harsh although I don`t know whether Paul is as biased as I am....

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    topsy, I`m biased I wear the red & white. Both players were holding each other, neither player had full control of the ball and both players went to ground simultaneously.
    If it had been awarded to us I would have been more than happy but would have thought it fortunate. Quite a few Wolves fans ( not all ) thought they were fortunate.
    Not seen a replay on TV to confirm but in my opinion it was harsh.

EDIT : read the Paul Davis report, he also thought it harsh although I don`t know whether Paul is as biased as I am....
    It doesn't matter anyway but it made Price a hero for that day

Just seen the highlights. Note to Danny Ward, see how their player went round the keeper? I know the season is dead but we need you to score those to get your value up (and so do you!).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123