+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: OT: Scottish Independence/Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I wonder if the snp will try and turn the general election into a mini referendum on independence?
    Surely not.

But it could backfire on the snp, if they do.

The majority in Scotland want to stay in Europe so the SNP will be ok!! It's May who has the problem, if Brexit dominates the hustings then this remains pretty evenly divided across the country between in or out. May's current poll lead will diminish as voters return to their normal voting patterns, coupled with voters linking this with Brexit will result in a hung parliament. The Tories will have the biggest number of seats but not a majority so either a minority government (unlikely) or a coalition of other parties with the SNP having the balance of power. This will be fun but be the end of Brexit!!

As I have said, there could be some interesting results, who knows how the British people will react? We were told by all parties, to remain and we didn't.

I think it is foolish to say that a certain thing will happen, because we do not know, neither do the companies compiling opinion polls, for that matter.

All I'm saying is, one line of thought COULD be that the Scottish electorate see this as an independence indicator. In which case, the snp vote would be lower that the last general election. On the other hand they may see it as a second brexit vote, which would be better for the snp.

If more Scots don't want independence then they will not vote SNP surely?

It will certainly be an interesting election!

As I understand it the UK Supreme Court has ruled that Article 50, once triggered, cannot be revoked and so we will leave in March 2019 come hell or high water? Granted legislation could be made on the hoof in UK to allow this, but since Merkel has already stated there can be no going back, what sort of a price would we have to pay to rejoin / terminate Brexit? Mandatory membership of the Euro, huge financial and economic penalties, the loss of our "special deal" and loads more Eastern Europeans? At which point public opinion would sway back in favour of Brexit!!

As for Scotland having a "hidden independence vote" I would say this is most likely. Both the SNP and Scottish Labour will be campaigning for remain (unless they just wish to surrender the seat!!) and so it will come down to Independence = SNP and United Kingdom = Labour (maybe). The Conservatives dont matter in Scotland - they may as well park up at Hadrian's Wall for all the support they will get. There are 54 seats that the Tories will not win, but they have nothing to lose as they dont hold any of them anyway (or do they have 1?). It is an absolute waste of time them campaigning there since they will be representing the two things above all else that the Scotch dont want.

Scots not Scotch. That's for imbibing, which reminds me......

I know Scotland voted to remain in the eu, but they also voted to remain in the UK. How many who voted to remain in the eu would still vote that way, if it meant leaving the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    As I understand it the UK Supreme Court has ruled that Article 50, once triggered, cannot be revoked and so we will leave in March 2019 come hell or high water? Granted legislation could be made on the hoof in UK to allow this, but since Merkel has already stated there can be no going back, what sort of a price would we have to pay to rejoin / terminate Brexit? Mandatory membership of the Euro, huge financial and economic penalties, the loss of our "special deal" and loads more Eastern Europeans? At which point public opinion would sway back in favour of Brexit!!

As for Scotland having a "hidden independence vote" I would say this is most likely. Both the SNP and Scottish Labour will be campaigning for remain (unless they just wish to surrender the seat!!) and so it will come down to Independence = SNP and United Kingdom = Labour (maybe). The Conservatives dont matter in Scotland - they may as well park up at Hadrian's Wall for all the support they will get. There are 54 seats that the Tories will not win, but they have nothing to lose as they dont hold any of them anyway (or do they have 1?). It is an absolute waste of time them campaigning there since they will be representing the two things above all else that the Scotch dont want.
    Not sure your right Rog, the Scots are more pro Eu, than pro SNP, so unless Labour can somehow spring a miracle, the pro eu votes may well go the SNP's way, whilst the anti eu vote may choose not to support the SNP, but **** knows who they would vote for!

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post

In reality we have merely given notice to leave the EU, we haven't left yet, so it is entirely possible with parliaments vote that it can be revoked and I don't think that the Eu would offer much resistance to that possibility. However I don't see that as a scenario but who knows I didn't see Trump being voted in as president of the USA and there are so many unknowns that it will be very interesting, Tories who stand on a pro Brexit ticket are going to be vulnerable I'd say.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)