shopify analytics
+ Visit Aston Villa FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dare we dream?

Dare we dream?

Sheffield Wednesday lost tonight. From my calculations if we win tomorrow we're 11 points off the playoffs. Long shot I know.

Dare we dream?

From someone renowned for his vivid hallucinations/borderline narcolepsy its the most rhetorical question ever !

No we dare not. Squad is nowhere near good enough. We go up it will be a nightmare even with a huge investment. We need to make minimal changes in the summer and get this youth academy more games next season.

Well wolves did us a favour beating Fulham. 11 points now. Dr x will spend big if we get promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by bongosdad View Post
    Well wolves did us a favour beating Fulham. 11 points now. Dr x will spend big if we get promoted.
    He spent big in the summer and we ended up in the mire. He spent big in January and we are just now putting dark days behind us. Reports say we really stunk today, happy with the points, but this crap will be punished by the worst teams in the top flight.

I know this is ultimately not where we want to be but we're not ready yet. In the meantime, I'm starting to enjoy the weekend again for the the first time in years.

That's true but were limited who we can buy whilst in the championship. I agree that this current squad would probably be in a relegation battle though.

I'm not having a go bongo, but why does it matter "who we can buy"? Every fan from every team thinks that"... If we buy so and so..." it isn't the case if you buy 10 players 3 seem to do OK and the rest are like Tone, Sylla, Westwood, Hutton, Heskey, Shevchenko, Forlan, Carroll, Balotelli, etc etc etc etc etc etc

We need to build a team, which takes time and I am perfectly happy at this level, beating teams and winning more often than losing and having 2 games a week out of the spotlight. I prefer the championship honestly

I see what your saying Sam. It's just a shame because I believe with the right signing we would have stayed up.
    I still want my Barry icecream

We gave the ball away so often like it was carrying a virus - good job Wigan are crap or we could have been 3 down. Don't even THINK about promotion this season - we would get murdered every week. Loved Scotty's goal though and the Villa fans were truly world class.
    PS. First time for me at Wigan, the worst traffic bottleneck I have been in at any ground ever, a complete ****house and it poured down. 3 points!

If we did go up , we will have to play much better than yesterday , i went to the game , and we would struggle in the premier without huge investment as there are a few players in the squad that ,that just aren't good enough , ok we got a win ,but wether we deserved it , i don't no , i think if Hutton is in the team , play him in his corrected position , full back , he will never be a midfielder or a winger , we improved with the substitutions but Johnston kept us in the game , he looked confident and assured , still need a strong centre half , Jedi needed in midfield , one thing i will say , i thought the Villa supporters were magnificent yesterday , made plenty of noise and backed the team , keep it up we will get there in the end , too much to catch up this season , start build for a big push next season UTV

Provided those dreams don't become a reality this season that's fine by me - we made Wigan look good and they should have had the points wrapped up before our goals. You can't just scrape your way up to the Prem and then buy a whole team again and expect to stay there, like others on here I'd prefer us to develop a team that competes well throughout the season, one that's solid and goals coming from several players.

Bongo we wouldn't have stayed up, had AVFC been a horse it would've been shot it was that bad.

You have to laugh. Beat mighty Wigan with a very mediocre performance and suddenly its promotion on the cards. Ever the optimist. No harm in that I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    You have to laugh. Beat mighty Wigan with a very mediocre performance and suddenly its promotion on the cards. Ever the optimist. No harm in that I suppose.

Strange but only an ulbiyun pig that would take Bongo's scuttlebutt in earnest

Quote Originally Posted by freer View Post

Strange but only an ulbiyun pig that would take Bongo's scuttlebutt in earnest
    There is no harm dreaming, at least in my dreams things come true!! but lets be honest, a few wins does not make us promotion challengers does it? if we went up we would come strait back down for sure BUT again if SB builds on this squad for next year, we could look more like a Newcastle, winning games home and away on a regular basis, you need to get promoted looking like e decent outfit, exciting with lots of goals and points. Once we sort out the goalkeeping position we won't need much tinkering just strength in depth. I think we could finish a decent 8th and when you think where we were, that is a good end to the season

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    There is no harm dreaming, at least in my dreams things come true!! but lets be honest, a few wins does not make us promotion challengers does it? if we went up we would come strait back down for sure BUT again if SB builds on this squad for next year, we could look more like a Newcastle, winning games home and away on a regular basis, you need to get promoted looking like e decent outfit, exciting with lots of goals and points. Once we sort out the goalkeeping position we won't need much tinkering just strength in depth. I think we could finish a decent 8th and when you think where we were, that is a good end to the season
    I agree with most of that Dave but I don't think we would come back down if Tony gets the right players in. The title of the thread suggests it's unlikely unless we win the next 5 out of 6 again.
    Either way I don't mind another season in the championship. It's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bongosdad View Post
    I agree with most of that Dave but I don't think we would come back down if Tony gets the right players in. The title of the thread suggests it's unlikely unless we win the next 5 out of 6 again.
    Either way I don't mind another season in the championship. It's not the end of the world.
    Maybe and most probably Tony would spend big and by players but money cannot buy a team, well not strait away! we have to have a good balanced exciting team who know each other and ping balls around almost psychically, growing up and watching the likes of Sid Cowans spraying the ball about and always to an on running Tony Morley was a delight. No, The premiership can wait at least one more season, I would like to see us destroy this league and come up with the fear of god inside.

Our day will come Bongo but in the mean time, dream away!

Nice one mate. I'm really optormistic now. I think with players like Jedi Houraine Lansbury with Adomah and Green on the wings we have as good as any championship midfield that's obviously starting to gel. The same goes for hogan and Kodjia up front. These players would do ok in the premier league. Our defence would need to improve though and quality keeper and centre back needed. Tony needs to replace the ones that might struggle in the premiership with proven quality, like Gardner for Barry for example.

At least your still creating conversations Bingo.

One of our iconic movies over here that gets quoted all the time is The Castle and one quote just for you Bingo. "tell em they're dreamin"

Whatever happens this year or next we have to keep our feet on the ground and be realistic. Boro finished a credible 4th two years ago, came second last season, getting automatic promotion and leaving a very good BHA to lose in the play offs, and many were lauding their manager Aitor Karanka, including Villa fans, and now they're about to be relegated and Karanka has been consigned to the dole queue with his P45.
    It's a tough league to get out of, and an easy one to get back into....(just talk to baggies fans )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast