+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One for the 'grown ups'.

One for the 'grown ups'.

As our forum goes into something of a, hopefully temporary, decline and the season grinds to its unsatisfactory conclusion I recommend a good read. Called simply 'Saturday, 3PM', this little book by Daniel Gray will appeal to all those fans who can remember an era when Derby actually won the League.
    As a taster...which immediately made me think fondly of OTR and macstheman...the author writes about the things he hates about modern football...

'Lunchtime kickoffs, non-black boots, those massive headphones that players wear, sickening wages and absurd ticket prices. I could go on. Goal-line technology, the number of people who sit on dug out benches, Robbie Savage, after goal music, 'false number 9's, and other attempts to sully the chaos and magic of the game with science and theory'.

Only takes a couple of hours to read from cover to cover but I enjoyed it very much. Highly recommended...and no...I'm not on commission.

Have you not got a link to it on Amazon? Im sure someone will!

We all be here on the forums by the end of the season, talking about the good times and the bad times of Derby County. Also with people's general banter, there is always something going on for people, to entertain themselves with.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Have you not got a link to it on Amazon? Im sure someone will!

Saturday, 3pm: 50 Eternal Delights of Modern Football https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/14729251..._WfOZybGBGPG1M

Perhaps not the poster that I had thought Stenson 😘

Sounds like my kind of read. I could go on for ages about what is wrong about football nowadays but I would not want to bore you and it is probably adequately covered in this book anyway.

Bring back the orange football on a Saturday afternoon I say and 22 players on the pitch whose names I can pronounce.

...and Bovril at half time, and those little boards that gave you the half time scores, and terraces and drunken fellow supporters pissing down your leg as they couldnt be arsed to go to the bog and lose their standing place behind the goal. Ah nostalgia - it aint what it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Perhaps not the poster that I had thought Stenson 😘
    Gotcha, I was a bit slow on the up take lol

The muddy pitch at the good old baseball ground, that really put player's to the test and how they can handle themselves in tough situations something our player's could do with now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)