+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The old Woodman Corner

The old Woodman Corner

As a kid I always remember thinking that it was a strange breed of Albion fan that stood there in all weathers watching the matches with no cover whatsoever.

I presume a lot of the older types that stood there in the 70's were people who'd stood at the Brummie Road End since the 20's,30's and 40's in the days when it was all just an open terrace?

I'll bet there's a few of you lot who's dads and grandads stood on the old corner until the new stand was built?

Recently I've watched some of the action from the corner as a mate sits down there and there's always spare seats and it really gives a different perspective to the match action.

HI Mick,The scoreboard from the Woodman,is now in a garden of a large house on the Cannock rd.A mad Albion fan has got it,his neighbour is a Wolves fan

I know one thing, this place should still be standing, I still seeth over things like this today, just look at it, a thing of beauty, a good old fashioned boozer right next to a football ground. Another link to our past disappeared , the twin towers at Wembley is something else gone that still gets to me.

Name:  IMG_0710.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  37.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    HI Mick,The scoreboard from the Woodman,is now in a garden of a large house on the Cannock rd.A mad Albion fan has got it,his neighbour is a Wolves fan
    Great little story Soulman, I love stuff like that. Cannock Road? That's right in the heart of bandit country! I bet that's a popular sight. I did a job in Wolverhampton last year and the lady customer was a Wolves nut, she had a huge steel bowl with a glass top as a coffee table, turned out it was one of the old floodlight lenses from the 'bowl', got to say it was great!

My dad always stood at the Smethwick end behind the goal and when he took me we would always stand on the corner. However, I remember the Woodman Corner and the scoreboard. It was the only means of letting us know how the first team were getting on with updates every 15 mins. At the end of a Central League game a lot of people would congregate at that Corner waiting for the phone to ring and the final first team score to be put up. Simple days back then!

Great shame that pub was lost. My great uncle was landlord once.

When they had standing in front of the Halfords seating area we always used to stand there. We would stay with the Albion attack so would move from end to end. If we picked the wrong end for the first half we, along with maybe 100 or more others would move quickly from one end to the other.
    When it stopped being standing we graduated to the Woodman Corner. Watching football from behind the goal gives a poorer view of the game. That's why TV never shows a match filmed from behind the goal.
    Probably only been in The Brummie half a dozen times, the Smethwick once that I can recall.