shopify analytics
+ Visit Newcastle United FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positions to fill

Positions to fill

Think it was the Chronicle (yeah, I know) that reckoned Rafa wanted 6 in the Summer who could come straight into the first team. What do you reckon are the positions those 6 would occupy? Obviously we've got to be realistic about players in the current squad making the step up (if we get promoted) because we're not looking to take the League by storm-getting a foothold would be good and we can go from there.

Goallkeeper? Not for me-Elliot or Darlow will be ok in the Prem.

Defence? Dummett just isn't up to the Premier League-he just isn't so a new LB is a must, for me (even though we've got Lazaar and Haidara). Lascelles too, for me, will come unstuck if he's one of our two first-choice CBs and I think Clarke or Mbemba would benefit from an older, experienced head. Think Yedlin will be ok.

Midfield? Hmmmmm. We can discount Colback straight away cos he's fucking ****e. Hayden is better but gives the ball away so easily. However, he's young(ish) and can improve. We do need, though, a starting CM to complement Shelvey-a combination of Cabaye and Tiote, really. Gouffran, like Colback, is done, surely? We need a LW or attacking LM and I don't think Atsu is the answer so that'd be another position to fill. Ritchie on the other flank will do a decent job in the top flight.

Attack? I'd say we need 2 new strikers if we go up-one to go straight into the side as our main man and one to challenge Gayle and one of Mitro/Murphy/Perrez. Being honest, I don't see a role for Armstrong-sorry. Rafa doesn't seem to rate Mitro and much as I like Murphy, I think the Prem would be a step-up too far.

Diame can fuck off as far as I'm concerned and I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Anita leave.

If we do go up, we've got a massive rebuilding job but Rafa's the man to do it if he's given the funds. Excting times ahead, hopefully.

Thoughts?

If Ashley puts his hand deep in his pocket I'm sure Rafa will have the pull to attract quality players.

Dummet could be defensive cover (for full back and Center Back) - Hayden might just make the step up if he keeps improving.

Mind, if Boro go down I'd take that Traore.

We need a GK LB CB CDM LW CAM ST

I really can't understand the flack Dummit gets. Not world class but a honest hard working player, who has had more good games than bad ones this season.

I have never rated Colback so he can do one.

Our Captain is hot and cold so a replacement CB is a must.

We need more creativity from midfield, I would take Cabaye back in a heartbeat.

Mitro needs replacing because he hasn't got the nouse to play against better defenders. Gayle needs a foil too, maybe bring DeJong back. (He has managed back to back games without injury)
    Last edited by Geordie_Exile_De; 19-03-2017 at 11:57 PM.

we need 8 players if we want to get into mid table 5-6 will do if we want to worry about coming back down

our problem will be shifting the players out

we need 3 at the back 2 forwards 2 wide players and a creatice centre mid and or a closing down mid player

we are far to light in the middle for the prem league

we dont have enough goals apart from gayle
    wedont have the attacking left back right back
    we dont have enough experiance at centre back
    i would be ok to an extent with ritchie and atsu if we can get him
    but apart from that the lot that brought us down and we didnt shift on need to go and the ones we brought in for this league need to go as well

doenst leave a lot

pboromag
    pboromag is offline Hall Of Fame

we need 8 players if we want to get into mid table 5-6 will do if we want to worry about coming back down
    Thats if we can persuade them to come of course...Top of my list would be Lanzini from Wet Spam,would he come?
    Divvint think so,Landaan is a big pull...

Certainly we need a starting CB, left-winger, central midfield, striker.

I think the other two would be another central mid and another striker.

As others have said i think if we spend the money Rafa would have the pull for a lot of players.

Aye, Ash-whether we get promoted or not, the league we're in is only part of the issue in terms of attracting players.

It's undeniable that Rafa will have some pull for certain players given his reputation-add to that we pay well, the size of our club and crowds, etc and we're a potentially attractive destination for a lot of players, all other things being equal. The problem is, they're not equal. After the traditional 'big' clubs then, for foreign players, factors like being in London at a 'smaller' club rather than in the 'provinces' or, God forbid, the far North East are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Aye, Ash-whether we get promoted or not, the league we're in is only part of the issue in terms of attracting players.

It's undeniable that Rafa will have some pull for certain players given his reputation-add to that we pay well, the size of our club and crowds, etc and we're a potentially attractive destination for a lot of players, all other things being equal. The problem is, they're not equal. After the traditional 'big' clubs then, for foreign players, factors like being in London at a 'smaller' club rather than in the 'provinces' or, God forbid, the far North East are important.
    more fool them to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    more fool them to be honest.
    True enough.

It's difficult to say what's going to be what.
    The contract situation tells one story about who's going to be surplus.
    I think this squad can be more or less set up to cope with just a few quality additions in key areas.
    I think we have the backbone of a workable premier team, albeit with a few tweaks to certain players.

Some are not suited to championship dogfight football but I think they are suited to premier league.
    Mbemba and Perez, plus Hayden and Ritchie, as well as Shelvey.
    Gayle and even Murphy can do a job.
    Clark probably has more to offer than Hanley or Lascelles.
    The keepers are fine.
    I think a kante type for midfield and a big strong centre forward and one top class centre back and I think we can more than hold our own inside the top 10.

We have players like Lazaar who are being kept for the prem, I think.
    I think Dummett could be a useful back up.
    Yedlin should be fine.

I don't think we need a massive influx, because I do believe there's players we have that can and will actually step up to the mark.
    Maybe 4 top quality performers brought in plus the arising of the quality we have in reserve to come to the fore.

Horses for courses it has been.
    The prem is a change of course for the horse and should Rafa stay; I think he'll already have a system in his mind for the players he's got; as well as the one's who are earmarked for the exit door.

We certainly need quite a few but it will depend not on what Rafa sees as his requirements but it will depend on how ambitious Ashley is prepared to be. If he releases the purse strings and compromises with Rafa then we will consolidate first season up but if he goes back to his penny pinching days then Rafa will have a huge job on his shoulders to prevent us being in the relegation mix as usual.

Howay Mike, be a bit ambitious, loosen the purse strings at the right time and prove to us that you really care about the club and about winning things.

Why people insist on having a go at Dummett constantly is beyond me. He's been perfectly decent this season, better than a lot of the players we have fielded at times. Give it a rest if you don't wanna give him some faith (or some credit at least).

Colback, on the other hand, has been largely cr@p and needs to be replaced immediately.

Yeah I reckon Dummett will be more useful in the premier league than he is in the championship.
    Good at defending, won't be needed to play on the front foot as much.

That doesn't mean he needs some competition though.

for phuck sake he was ****e in the prem has anyone not remember he was a massive part of the dross that brought us down

he will be even worse with the pressing game
    he doesnt get forward he leaves massive gaps when he goes wondering

he is pure ****e

he has just about found his level in this league

looking at the current left backs in the prem he surely wouldnt get any of them out of the team

even the mackems team

and xould he play in a back 3 which many teams adopt
    could he phuck

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Why people insist on having a go at Dummett constantly is beyond me. He's been perfectly decent this season, better than a lot of the players we have fielded at times. Give it a rest if you don't wanna give him some faith (or some credit at least).

Colback, on the other hand, has been largely cr@p and needs to be replaced immediately.
    he has been aveage in a league that is ****e

this aint the prem and ,aybe he has found his level

him and colback were both players that brought us down and both werent good then

they both certainly need moving on
    or at very best be used as cover only

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    for phuck sake he was ****e in the prem has anyone not remember he was a massive part of the dross that brought us down

he will be even worse with the pressing game
    he doesnt get forward he leaves massive gaps when he goes wondering

he is pure ****e

he has just about found his level in this league

looking at the current left backs in the prem he surely wouldnt get any of them out of the team

even the mackems team

and xould he play in a back 3 which many teams adopt
    could he phuck
    You can't say that because he was a member of the team which got relegated that he was dross.

Remember the 73/74 Manure team which was relegated finishing 2nd bottom contained mainly internationals such as Stepney, Holton, Best, Kidd, Buchan, Storey-Moore, Macari, McIlroy, Greenhoff, Morgan, Houston.

With names like that you'ld expect to win the league but they went down.

he was dross and one of the ain reasons we came down he was part of a back 4 that was ****e

the left side was a joke at attacking or defending and he was part of that
    so i can say it

he pulls his own defenders all over when he goes wondering
    if you went to a few games and watched him you would see he is clueless

look at a decent left back

if the right side goes forward the left back will tuck in and as a unit they push up field

he doesnt

he very rarely goes on an overlap run

how many goals has he been part of from crossing in from the lft etc

lok at the left backs right backs from the likes of spuds etc and see what they do

look at the lads at brighton

he is ****e
    honestly sit high up and just watch him for 10 -15 minutes in a game

and then actually ask yourself what he brings to a team

yes when they attack him he ha a half hearted effort at defending but his all round game is shocking

he aint all that in this league certainly wouldnt get in any top picks from this league from anyone
    he was dross in the prem

so unless someone can show me how he has improved considerably this season then ,which he hasnt ,then i dont see how he will be any use to our first team next season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast