shopify analytics
+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Happy Birthday Vera Lyn

Happy Birthday Vera Lyn

100 today.

Bet she gives a cracking BJ when her teeth are out!

My dad liked her. He didn't like Gracie Fields though. Something about her moving abroad during the war.

Yeah she went to America. I think Churchill and the Royals would have joined her had the Germans invaded. I love the WE in WE will fight them on the beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Yeah she went to America. I think Churchill and the Royals would have joined her had the Germans invaded. I love the WE in WE will fight them on the beaches.
    Are you questioning Churchill's courage? He fought on the front line in 3 conflicts when he could easily have stayed out of all of them. Rumour has it he wanted to go over with the troops on D Day but was not allowed. Not bad for 70!

He might well have gone to the States but only to carry on the fight in the same way as DeGaulle came here. If he thought the beaches of Southern England was the best place for him to take on the Germans I reckon that's where he would have been.

If not for Churchill I would have been born into a country ruled by Nazis or Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Are you questioning Churchill's courage? He fought on the front line in 3 conflicts when he could easily have stayed out of all of them. Rumour has it he wanted to go over with the troops on D Day but was not allowed. Not bad for 70!

He might well have gone to the States but only to carry on the fight in the same way as DeGaulle came here. If he thought the beaches of Southern England was the best place for him to take on the Germans I reckon that's where he would have been.

If not for Churchill I would have been born into a country ruled by Nazis or Russians.
    You are :-)

I think it was more to do with our young servicemen and women more than Churchill 9 goals. Many of whom paid the ultimate price, especially the young lads of Bomber Command who are now treated as war criminals. I wonder if Germany would have felt guilty about London, Coventry, Birmingham, Liverpool and Plymouth had they won the war?
    Not forgetting about the brave lads from the commonwealth, the USA and especially the Russians, as it was Russia that really won the war.
    Vera Lynn and Churchill, had it not been for the war one would have been a now forgotten singer, and the other remembered as an ultra right wing public schoolboy, who once had machine guns trained on workers who were striking for a decent standard of living.
    Strange how a conflict that claimed millions of lives, and caused so much misery, turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to these two, and made them icons.
    Such is fate.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    You are :-)
    Having spent some time in St Petes and having a friend who lives there I can promise you we are so fortunate we are neither Russian or Nazis unlike the regime my friend lives in.
    For all its faults the more I travel the more grateful I am to be English.

To be fair, 55, just about everyone in this country was so grateful for people like Churchill and Vera at the time. Even Margaret Thatcher would have been lauded if she'd led us to victory. I've never heard a bad word about Winston as WW2 Leader.

On another point, is Vera catching Soulman up?

Great line from Bob Hope when he was over here entertaining the troops before D Day. he said: I've just arrived from America. You know America, where Churchill lives. As for never a bad word. He may have kept the spirits up at home but our troops were not particularly enamoured with him. Hence he was voted out once peace had been achieved. I knew a lady who was a sort of PA to him during the war and she said he went to the toilet this one day and while he was in the loo an urgent phonecall for him came through. The lady stood outside the loo and said Prime Minister there is so and so (I dont remember who) on the phone for you. He apparently replied; he can wait, I can only manage one sh*t at a time.

Churchill had many flaws if ever there was a man in the right place at the right time it was he. If he had not become leader then Halifax would have . After Dunkirk he would almost certainly sued for a favourable peace. Hitler would then be free to attack Russia earlier. The Yanks couldn't have got involved in Europe as there was nowhere for them to start from. With no threat from the west Germany may well have conquered Russia. If Russia had prevailed then western Europe would have been communist.
    Either way thank goodness for Winnie; warts and all.

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    To be fair, 55, just about everyone in this country was so grateful for people like Churchill and Vera at the time. Even Margaret Thatcher would have been lauded if she'd led us to victory. I've never heard a bad word about Winston as WW2 Leader.

On another point, is Vera catching Soulman up?
    Yes i'm not doubting that, they were the right people at the right time, but it was the war that made them what they are. Mind you Churchill did see it coming years before but no one listened.
    He was a great war leader at the time, but he wouldn't have fought on the beaches personally, he would have gone to the USA or more likely Canada along with the Royals, and indulged in a propaganda war. Whether America would have entered the war at all if it hadn't been for Pearl is another debate.

There is evidence that Churchill and the powers that be of the time started a tentative attempt to sue for peace with Hitler before Dunkirk. But when Britain rescued the bulk of 300,000 troops off the beaches and home to safety they scrapped the idea. Thank goodness Hitler forbid his panzers to move on Dunkirk. If he had it would have been curtains for our lads and probably the end of the war for us.

Two reasons the Yanks wouldn't/couldn't fight in Europe.
    What brought them into conflict with the Germans was the sinking of US ships on the way to us. If we were out the war there would be no cargoes to the UK for them to sink. Fortunately holding back the panzers wasn't Adolf's only mistake; declaring war on the States when he didn't have to ranked alongside it.

And if we were out the war America simply couldn't get involved in Europe because there was nowhere for them to start from.

There were indeed peace overtures to Hitler pre Dunkirk but Churchill was not part of it. Of all our political leaders of the time he was the one that stood out as being totally opposed to any deal. Thank goodness.