+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T A Question.

O/T A Question.

Seeing Cams RIP thread for Chuck Berry has got me thinking.

Why is he regarded a legend, as is e Jerry Lee Lewis when they knowingly had ***ual encounters with minors, Chuck with a 14 year old and Jerry with his 13 year old cousin.

Even the King himself Elvis, first started his relationship with Pricilla when she was only 14.

Was it just a Southern American thing?

I just ask as today this would undoubtedly end a performers career and they would be universally despised these days.

I love Elvis btw but have always had these thoughts about the aforementioned 3.

Feel free to educate me fellas.

I started a new thread as I wouldn't disrespect Cams RIP thread.

This just puzzles me that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post

I started a new thread as I wouldn't disrespect Cams RIP thread.
    I've kind of already done that but what the hell.

Perfectly good question riley and it raises an interesting point, especially about changing times and changing attitudes. We also saw similar misgivings around the time of George Michael's death due to the way he lived his life despite there being a generally more liberal attitude to LGBT issues these days.

People are free to judge themselves on someone's 'legend' status and whether it applies to just how someone plied their trade or whether it needs to be applied to their entire life. I have no objection to someone posting Rot In Hell on an RIP thread if they personally feel it's justified and can back those feelings up. Musically Chuck Berry was a legend, in life maybe not so?

Yes it's an interesting point and indicates how much people with little true knowledge of events are brainwashed by biased stories in the media.

It brings up a number of opposing ideas.

Terrorist turned peacemaker, Nelson Mandela a hero, terrorist turned peacemaker Martin McGuinness a villain.

Convicted armed robber and Mann Act transporter of women for immoral acts, Chuck Berry a "legend", assorted Rotherham asians grooming underage girls branded (quite rightly) as scumbags.

I think it's simply a case of viewing historical events in the light of current western morality and values. The further you go back and the less well any public figure seems to stands up to contemporary scrutiny of what they did or said.

Chuck Berry secretly filmed women and children on the toilet, he was a vile men, google him.

One of the Rolling Stones also got with a 14 year old, didn't he? And everyone turned a blind eye. And film maker Roman Polanski.

Bill Wyman and Roman Polanski, both with 13 year old girls, actually. Sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis_D View Post
    Bill Wyman and Roman Polanski, both with 13 year old girls, actually. Sickening.
    It was Mandy Smith that alleged Wyman had under age *** with her, he later married her and her claims were never really substantiated or tested out.

Polanski though was convicted.

Not that it makes any difference but Mandy Smith was 14, I believe. Did read somewhere that Wyman went to the police at the time they were investigating people post-Saville and asked if they wanted to talk to him about his relationship with Smith. They said no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast