+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tech question - FLAC ad MP3

Tech question - FLAC ad MP3

Quite simple really, can you save music in FLAC format to itunes?

I think I'm right in saying FLAC is better quality than MP3 but do you need to do any conversion or the like?

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Quite simple really, can you save music in FLAC format to itunes?

I think I'm right in saying FLAC is better quality than MP3 but do you need to do any conversion or the like?
    A lot depends on the quality of the system you are using to play your music. FLAC does not sound much different to MP3 on a low quality system (combined amp/speaker) or through crappy headphones. The better the system the better the sound and the more you will notice the quality difference between MP3 and FLAC.

There are several formats that are better than MP3. These are lossless formats of which FLAC is one of them. Music stored on CD's is lossless and therefore far better quality than MP3.

Specifically, FLAC does not work in iTunes, you need to use Apple's lossless format (AAC). You can convert between FLAC and ACC.

So you can rip your CD, and then convert the files to Apple's lossless format... I believe you can do this within iTunes itself without conversion although it has been years since I used CD's.

However, you cannot/should not convert MP3 to a lossless file format because the MP3 file has already lost the stuff that makes the lossless formats better quality.

Also, you should be aware that the reason that people use MP3 is because the file sizes are so much smaller than lossless file formats. FLAC can very quickly fill your computer's hard drive and as a result is not used for portable devices.

I have spent too much of my life messing around ripping CD's and converting files to FLAC and ACC to use in iTunes and other music streaming services in my house. However, now I just use a music streaming service on the web as it is good enough (better than MP3 quality) and so much less hassle than setting up a central FLAC repository. This would be my recommendation.

Personally, I use Apple Airplay to stream music to most rooms in the house either though speaker systems connected to Apple airport expresses or speakers that connect to apple airplay. This gave me the flexibility of picking and choosing the quality of the sound system in specific rooms without being tied to one speaker manufacturer.

However, I wish I had not got rid of my vinyl albums cos although FLAC is good if I really want to listen to great quality, vinyl is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Yeah, but that would involve interpreting tech speak.

I'll have a look but I was hoping someone would explain it as if they were talking to a 4 year old child.

Quote Originally Posted by Getintaethem View Post
    A lot depends on the quality of the system you are using to play your music. FLAC does not sound much different to MP3 on a low quality system (combined amp/speaker) or through crappy headphones. The better the system the better the sound and the more you will notice the quality difference between MP3 and FLAC.

There are several formats that are better than MP3. These are lossless formats of which FLAC is one of them. Music stored on CD's is lossless and therefore far better quality than MP3.

Specifically, FLAC does not work in iTunes, you need to use Apple's lossless format (AAC). You can convert between FLAC and ACC.

So you can rip your CD, and then convert the files to Apple's lossless format... I believe you can do this within iTunes itself without conversion although it has been years since I used CD's.

However, you cannot/should not convert MP3 to a lossless file format because the MP3 file has already lost the stuff that makes the lossless formats better quality.

Also, you should be aware that the reason that people use MP3 is because the file sizes are so much smaller than lossless file formats. FLAC can very quickly fill your computer's hard drive and as a result is not used for portable devices.

I have spent too much of my life messing around ripping CD's and converting files to FLAC and ACC to use in iTunes and other music streaming services in my house. However, now I just use a music streaming service on the web as it is good enough (better than MP3 quality) and so much less hassle than setting up a central FLAC repository. This would be my recommendation.

Personally, I use Apple Airplay to stream music to most rooms in the house either though speaker systems connected to Apple airport expresses or speakers that connect to apple airplay. This gave me the flexibility of picking and choosing the quality of the sound system in specific rooms without being tied to one speaker manufacturer.

However, I wish I had not got rid of my vinyl albums cos although FLAC is good if I really want to listen to great quality, vinyl is best.
    Cheers, that was concise enough for my Luddite heid to get roond.
    I think I'll stick to MP3 in this instance because it's only an early issue of a "Pledge Music" album, the CD will arrive prolly Monday.

Yer dead on about vinyl mind, I still have a goodly chunk of mine.

I dina hae the time, space or cash to go a' the way back into vinyl. Maist o' my music is consumed on the hoof now.

The days of putting side one, sitting back with the lyrics and skinning up on the cover are long gone sadly.