+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brewdog Being C@nts

They've a whisky coming out soon. Good luck to them. A Scottish company doing well. Even if their product is pish.

I like their Punk IPA, I must admit. A better than average attempt at a new world style IPA (which i am presuming they are trying to pull off). Would have it in a pub over the majority of crap most sell.

At home, I now tend to just get good quality beer kits and brew them myself. Sometimes change the hops and add some other ingredients (such as grapefruit peel) to taste, but you really get good quality stuff now for very little work. Works out at around 50p a pint. Would recommend giving it a go as I was a complete amateur a few months ago.

The Punk IPA is very good. I do tend to prefer the Williams Bros beer and its a lot better priced. 7 Giraffes, Joker IPA are particularly good and often enjoyed ,much to the detriment of my waistline.

On the grapefruit theme have you tried Brewdogs Elvis Juice ? Very nice in small doses.

The hipster theme is a lot of guff. Just trying to tap into the market.They are as big c....s as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by kigoretrout View Post
    prefer the Williams Bros beer and its a lot better priced. 7 Giraffes, .
    The greatest beer I have ever tasted

I enjoy a Tennents

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    They've a whisky coming out soon. Good luck to them. A Scottish company doing well. Even if their product is pish.

Its nae a whisky its a whiskey as its Yank bowf bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by kigoretrout View Post
    The Punk IPA is very good. I do tend to prefer the Williams Bros beer and its a lot better priced. 7 Giraffes, Joker IPA are particularly good and often enjoyed ,much to the detriment of my waistline.

On the grapefruit theme have you tried Brewdogs Elvis Juice ? Very nice in small doses.

The hipster theme is a lot of guff. Just trying to tap into the market.They are as big c....s as everyone else.
    Yes, I have tried it and as you say, nice in small doses.

I only put in a little peel in my homebrew just enough to give it a slight hint cos I would be sick of it after a few bottles if it was as strong a taste as brewdogs.

Nanny State is also ok (for non alcoholic I should say)... far better than others like becks non alcoholic.
    Last edited by Getintaethem; 28-03-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Getintaethem View Post
    Yes, I have tried it and as you say, nice in small doses.

I only put in a little peel in my homebrew just enough to give it a slight hint cos I would be sick of it after a few bottles if it was as strong a taste as brewdogs.

Nanny State is also ok (for non alcoholic I should say)... far better than others like becks non alcoholic.

Becks NA is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted - only beaten by the Cobra equivalent. Gads. Bavaria NA is the dog's b0ll0cks of alcohol free beers.

Mind sharing a link to the kit you use? Have looked into it a few times never really know where to start.

Not that I bother with Non Alch beers but I was in the beer bar place on Sauchiehall on the other side of the road from the ABC (used to be the Bier halle then an indian now a beer place again) when I was down for a gig with Pacbro. Instead of a diet coke(as I was driving) I went for this for a change and it was really fine

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeJam View Post
    Becks NA is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted - only beaten by the Cobra equivalent. Gads. Bavaria NA is the dog's b0ll0cks of alcohol free beers.

Mind sharing a link to the kit you use? Have looked into it a few times never really know where to start.
    sure. I am no expert but if you can make tea you can home brew with one of these kits.

I started with Coopers... I would advise not to use it. It is OK, but not the best.

the last one I did was this one. It's a new world IPA. All new world means is that they use American hops which gives it that californian IPA taste. It is more expensive than Coopers but everything you need is in the kit and it is better quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Festival-Pr.../dp/B00E99POZ4

I find it is probably cheaper to get it at your local brew store. It comes with dried hops and dextrose sugar for bottling. dextrose carbonates the beer (you can use normal sugar but dextrose is better for the finished taste I think). There is no need to add any other ingredients than what is in the kit other than water. There are some good videos on youtube to tell you what to do. All the videos are the same cos it is pretty easy. You will find that you make changes between brews and perhaps change kits to see how others work but really you cannot go too wrong.

I have changed things such as the hops and (depending on the kit) the yeast. I find the better quality kits have good yeasts. I experiment with the hops - perhaps adding another new world hops. If, for example, I am using grapefruit (I have tried lemon and lime also) peel along with the hops I have used Simcoe hops as it has a fruity taste.) You will probably do this on your second brew.

Your first brew is a bit more expensive because you need to buy the kit.

What you need is:
    1) 5 gallon fermenting bucket 9.99 on Amazon
    2) Syphon Tubing - get in either a DIY store or home brew store - a couple quid probably
    3) Sterilising Fluid - I started with using Milton but found you need to rinse the bottles 2-3 times which was a pain. Moved to using Star San which the brewers seem to mostly use and there is no need to rinse the bottles. There is also VWP Cleaner & Steriliser which is a couple pounds (not used this one)
    4) a Long spoon - not totally necessary
    5) An airlock and plug - couple quid
    6) 1 x Hyrdrometer - hmm.. you are supposed to use this to measure alcohol content but I have found home brew from kits are pretty stable in terms of ABV... between 5 and 6% (i.e. it does the job!)
    7) Thermometer (should come with the fermenting bucket)
    8) Bottle Washer brush - £3 or £4
    9) Beer bottles (I use coopers 750ml with screw on caps that I got from the home brew shop. For one batch you need 2 of these boxes at around a £5 each).
    10) a funnel

What I recommend is just going to the local home brew shop with a list and getting it all at the one time. They are also happy to help and give advice. Your first brew will probably cost around £1.25 to £1.50 per pint (including all the equipment). So if you do not ever do it again - you will have pretty good beer cheaper than you can buy the equivalent quality from the supermarket. Now, I think it works out for me at around 50p a pint.

What you want is 2 weeks fermenting (for the IPA I usually do 3 - although for your first brew trust me you wont wait 3 weeks), the 2 weeks in the bottle and 2 weeks in the fridge (I never last 2 weeks in the fridge - 48 hours maximum).

Just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6yboBve8FU

From the same manufacturer - not an IPA but brewing is the same.

edit: different to the video. I put the Hopes into the little bag that comes in the kit. Just means you do not have hops floating in your beer. also made a mistake above, dextrose is used for food for the yeast, it is priming sugar that is used to make the beer carbonated. Ach - I said I wisnae an expert. Also noticed it is 6.5% ABV... no wonder after three 750ml bottles I am three sheets to the wind!

Good luck. Any questions, throw them at me. Happy to help.
    Last edited by Getintaethem; 29-03-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast