+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nantwich Town

Nantwich Town

Who is going on Wednesday?

I will, hope I am not on my own

I am going as well and was thinking what we all think the crowd on the night will be . I will go for 1978.

How many times have Crewe played Nantwich in the past can anyone shed any light on this

I am thinking 2000+, 1000 from Crewe and 1000 from Nantwich
    Regards play each other, there doesn't seem to be any record of any competitive games other that friendlies.
    Perhaps someone can shed some light on this

Someone at the game on Saturday mentioned that both teams have never meet in a competitive game. I find this hard to belive but hopefully will get the answer from knowledgeable fans on here.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    Someone at the game on Saturday mentioned that both teams have never meet in a competitive game. I find this hard to belive but hopefully will get the answer from knowledgeable fans on here.
    Wouldn't say knowledgeable, but Marco Crisp's book "Match By Match" shows the two clubs met in the various Cheshire cups a few times before the 1WW. It doesn't detail minor round games since then, so it's possible there have been other meetings, but I don't recall any myself since starting to follow Crewe from the early 80's. Pretty sure they've never met in the FA Cup, and their first teams have never played in the same league.
    Marco's book points out an interesting tale of the County cup meetings in 1915: Crewe were the home team, and leading Nantwich 2-1 during extra time, when some Nantwich fans invaded the pitch. The referee abandoned the game. Nantwich won the re-arranged game.

Quote Originally Posted by bigroof View Post
    Wouldn't say knowledgeable, but Marco Crisp's book "Match By Match" shows the two clubs met in the various Cheshire cups a few times before the 1WW. It doesn't detail minor round games since then, so it's possible there have been other meetings, but I don't recall any myself since starting to follow Crewe from the early 80's. Pretty sure they've never met in the FA Cup, and their first teams have never played in the same league.
    Marco's book points out an interesting tale of the County cup meetings in 1915: Crewe were the home team, and leading Nantwich 2-1 during extra time, when some Nantwich fans invaded the pitch. The referee abandoned the game. Nantwich won the re-arranged game.
    More useless knowledge from me - Crewe Alexandra beat Nantwich 5-1, in Qualifying Round Five of the FA Cup in 1900/01! I guess, for those interested, in those early days of football, it was Nantwich, as opposed to Nantwich Town; I've no idea if this was simply a name-change somewhere along the line, or a completely different club.

Interesting piece here as regards the past history of the fixture

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/spor...-town-12845174

Nice to see the U23s win some silverware last night. Hard to believe we had not won the Cheshire Senior Cup since 2003.

Well done to Jamesdad who nearly got the gate spot on

It was a good night for football and I was very impressed with Nantwich Town and the football they played and wish them all the best for promotion and playing the way they did I am sure they will get it. Also good to see Steve Jones still performing at a high standard .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast