+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling Tips

Cycling Tips

Anybody on here do any distance cycling?

After many years of being idle, I have started try and do sports including football, badminton and now im going to take up cycling. I had a bike for years, but never used the thing. Last night I went for a bike ride and done about a 6 mile round trip, the trouble is my backside is in agony from the ride. Its started to hurt after about 2 miles and today it is pretty damn sore. I used to ride this bike constantly in the past (many moons ago) and never had any issues. I have been advised to get cycling shorts as they are padded in that area, but I cant imagine they have the most flattering look for someone of my slightly rotund size . And they aren’t the cheapest of things!! I used to bike everywhere as a **** and never remember having this much hassle.

Its off putting and demoralising because im trying to get fit, but with every sport I do I get some form of injury or pain. Any advice on how to overcome this?

1. Endura padded cycling shorts are ace. Wear shorts over them for the better look.
    2. Your perineum and erm...fit's the anatomical term for erse cheeks*? will adjust as you put the miles in
    3. Check your saddle height, alignment fore and aft, and angle
    4. Check your position on the bike - this can depend on handlebar type, handlebar height, reach from saddle to handlebars etc
    5. Invest in a saddle upgrade (my tourer has a Brooks C13 on it, which took a while to break in, but is now in perfect nick)

*Celtic and Sevco 5088

Look at this, it's a good site: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...e-sores-25103/

Leave the bike in the garage & let motorists use the road freely

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    ...Invest in a saddle upgrade (my tourer has a Brooks C13 on it, which took a while to break in...

I'm also skirting round the edges of taking up cycling, but the thought of having to use your anus to break things in really puts a downer on the idea.

Cheers for the tips vintage !! I will have a good gander at that link!

mason, I use the Formartin and Buchan line for cycling so no roads for me ... just as well I can cycle straight to save my life.

It amazes me that it hurts as much as it does after just one bike ride. I used to cycle everywhere as a **** and never remember getting sore backside from cycling. Must be Auld age. I will rest and then try again and hopefully build up the muscles. Tying to get fit and cut down on using the car as much !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post
    Cheers for the tips vintage !! I will have a good gander at that link!

mason, I use the Formartin and Buchan line for cycling so no roads for me ... just as well I can cycle straight to save my life.

It amazes me that it hurts as much as it does after just one bike ride. I used to cycle everywhere as a **** and never remember getting sore backside from cycling. Must be Auld age. I will rest and then try again and hopefully build up the muscles. Tying to get fit and cut down on using the car as much !!!
    Both my shoulder rotator cuffs are in the 'fuucked' position just now and I think I have a broken finger.

I'm a twice-a-week take on King St, Ellon Road, College St, Wellington Rd commuter gutter jockey (about 9.5 miles each way) but due to the shoulder problems, I've cycled only as far as BoD to toon a couple of times since October, and I feel as unfit as I've felt in 5 years.

Persevere, min.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post

used to love cycling it when I was younger. Being from Ellon and young Auchnagatt one was was an achievement and Newmachar the other way

Might get myself a bike and start firing out to Auchnagatt again as im nae that far fae Pitmedden where I can get on the line

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    used to love cycling it when I was younger. Being from Ellon and young Auchnagatt one was was an achievement and Newmachar the other way

Might get myself a bike and start firing out to Auchnagatt again as im nae that far fae Pitmedden where I can get on the line
    Udny Station's the nearest hop-on point to Meldrum. When nae injured, I'll occasionally dawdle out the B999 fae BoD to Udny Green, back in the Formartine Way to Dyce, then loop doon to the beach and hame. Aboot 32 miles. Further than John Inglis ran in his entire career.

I one did Ellon and back, but in error, as I thought I could pick up the track on the Pitmedden to Ellon road. It loops away from Pitmedden and joins the A920 right on the edge of Ellon. A cup of coffee and a bacon bap later, and I had to cycle right back to toon. It was rougher than a Dundee hooker between Ellon and Udny Station, but I've walked it since, and the surface has improved.

The only problem with it is the surface blinding. Unless you clean your chain and running gear almost immediately, the fine grit from the surface acts like sandpaper on chain, cranks, cogs, freewheel and bearings.

EDIT of earlier post: it's the B17 Brooks saddle I have under my arse on the touring bike, nae the C13
    https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/bro...rd-saddle.html
    Last edited by 57vintage; 04-04-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Idiocy

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post

Im using the Old Deer to Maud stretch (3 miles each way) until i build up my stamina, then will build up from Old Deer to Peterhead. I reckon when i was **** i could do 15-20 miles and nae even think about it... used to be able to run that distance too ... that wisnae yesterday! Cracking stretch from Old Deer to Maud and the surface is decent all the way, not too many hills either !! Going to get myself some cycling shorts with the a*se protectors and think about a new saddle too. The bike is a rickety old thing, so will likely invest in a new one if i take a decent enough interest!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast