+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motherwell woe, Thistle joy

Exclamation

I'm concerned, but not overly concerned right now! Bottom line ... if we can't survive in this league when the likes of Accies, Killie, ICT and County are our biggest danger then we truly don't deserve to stay up. I reckon we'll do a last game but 1 rescue act; although I can't give a plausible reason why we will.
    Last edited by sieb1886; 09-04-2017 at 08:49 PM.

We may or may not be relegated this season, a lot will depend on the post split fixtures and whether Moult is fit for the run in or not, but one thing is for sure, if we are not relegated this season then it will only delay it for another year at the most as we are on a downward spiral as a club.

I've said for years now, we need a complete overhaul at Fir Park from the very top to the very bottom and we need to rid ourselves of this habit of handing out jobs for the boys and retracing old footsteps when it comes to player and coaching recruitment, as well as realising that it is now well past time to say goodbye to the elder core of the side, i.e. Lasley, Hammell, Pearson and McFadden(at least from the playing side) and also part company with the likes of Ainsworth who is a luxury we cannot afford.

It's absolutely staggering to think that that very same core group of players were central to our disastrous 2014/2015 season when we finished 11th are still heavily involved two years down the line. That playoff should have been the wake up call that it was time for a fresh approach at the club, but instead we hand out two year deals to Hammell and Lasley despite them being in the mid thirties and we allow Pearson to return for a THIRD stint despite contributing next to nothing in the last two years, likewise Ainsworth who was also retained despite getting very little return on him. And if that wasn't enough we even reinstated McGhee as manager and allow him to squander ridiculous amounts of cash on utter dross like Lucas, Clay, Jules, Frear and Bowman and then re hire the assistant manager from a previous failed regime as first team manager!

We are an utter shambles of a club and as I said big, big changes are needed or we will sooner or later be consigned to the lower leagues and no doubt part time football into the bargain.

Find it difficult to agree with someone who is constantly negative about our club, but agree with most of that.
    The point is if the analysis is good, what is the way forward? I certainly don't have the answers. Do you?
    Would be refreshing if you did, or someone else. Suspect it comes down crowd size or benefactor.

We should have strengthened the team when we were being consistent by finishing in the top six,we now have one of the oldest starting eleven in the league and are subsequently suffering for it.Players like McManus,Hammell,McDonald,Pearson,Samson and even Lasley should still not be playing at the top level of football,they struggle to play two games a week and at the present moment it's three games. They also suffer badly on the artificial pitches of Accies and Kilmarnock with injuries.If as it seems likely we are relegated this season then no disrespect to the players already named they should not in any way be offered new contracts as players.We will have to depend on young players coming through and eventually having to sell them on if they attain an acceptable skill level.IMO that's our only way to operate as it is fairly obvious that the club will never survive with the attendances we are bringing in.

Robinson should never been given 18 months to start with and is it such a bad thing if we go down?Clear the decks and rebuild i am starting to think it's the best thing for the club.Push on the youth we have under Crags we might actually get somewhere in the long run.

Recruitment mistakes have been made for some years now. No manager will of course reach a 100% success rate but we seem to have done poorly. Clubs on similar and even slightly lower budgets have fared relatively better. For years now our midfield has been neglected and now we're paying the price. For too long its been a case of taking the easy option and relying on over the hill veterans, whose best days are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by wellwin View Post
    Find it difficult to agree with someone who is constantly negative about our club, but agree with most of that.
    The point is if the analysis is good, what is the way forward? I certainly don't have the answers. Do you?
    Would be refreshing if you did, or someone else. Suspect it comes down crowd size or benefactor.
    The way forward is, as I said a complete overhaul at all levels in the club. Of course that is much easier said than done and could take a considerable amount of time but that's ultimately what we need. We have a few well meaning individuals running the club just now and no harm to them, but I think it's patently clear that they lack the know how and experience of running a business, certainly a top flight football club. Investment is unlikely but perhaps some business savvy heads in the boardroom who don't allow their hearts to rule their heads? And on the park as I said we need a different approach to signing and recuruiment and an end to this 'philosophy' of re-signing players who were popular with the support a decade ago and retaining the services of players well past their best. Quite simply, we look forward as a club and stop living in the past because that's what we've been doing for the past five years now and there appears to be no vision for the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)