+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contact with Rotherham players past and present

Contact with Rotherham players past and present

This particular post by Sota was on the Matchthread on Saturday. What are your stories?

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Quick story about Capt Morgan. A few years ago on my first trip to NYS, I bought a RUFC ball for my daughter at the club shop and as I came out I bumped into CM. We got chatting about stuff for a good half hour, mainly non football 'cos I didn't really know much about him. Anyway, he offered to take the ball on the team bus down to Colchester, get it signed by the squad and leave it with the fella at reception for me to collect. A very nice bloke indeed.

I remember talking to Raggy downtown about his green suit.
    And telling Martin Scott he will play for England..lol
    What a knob I must have sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by vespabri View Post
    I remember talking to Raggy downtown about his green suit.
    And telling Martin Scott he will play for England..lol
    What a knob I must have sounded.

I've spoke to a few in passing, good game, good luck, why you not in team, how's injury etc. Lee, Brogan,pringle and so on.
    Spoke to Brecks at a charity dinner about a photo I've got with him when I was a mascot (yes long time ago)
    Warney when SE was in charge (I'm saying nowt)
    King Ronnie a few times
    TS (small talk)

Also ignored a few if they've had a sh it game (didn't want to headbutt them )

Leo fortune west comes to my gym.
    Spoke to Warne a few times I've guided him well 😜

Years ago when I was a bailiff I went to an ex players house he was in a mess so I reported back to office he wasn't at home.
    Met TS a few times and I have to say I like him.

Met various others over the years.

Had a quick chat with Neil Hague after he got off the team bus in Swansea. He said "wait here a minute" went into the players' entrance and came out with stand tickets for me and my mates.
    We won the game and we were lucky to get back on the Riley's bus in one piece.

I spent a very pleasant hour in a Whiston pub with Roy Ironside and Barry Webster four or five years ago. I wrote an account of the meeting for the Moulin Rouge fanzine. It's a great moment when you finally get to meet your childhood heroes. I know I've mentioned this before but one of the best moments from the quiet unassuming Ironside was when he mentioned that his goal-keeping gloves were knitted from a string material by one of his aunties!

Chat to quite a few ex players fairly often. Ronnie, Brecks, John and Ian, John Green, Billy Mercer. Went to school with Raggy and always have the crack when I see him but its been a while. Gerry Forrest, used to play snooker with him regular in the 90s and he always got me free tickets for away games, ditto Butch Richardson.

I used to live next door to John Green. On my first trip back to Blighty for 11 years, I bumped into him in The Masons. Later on, I was in The Woodman at Ravo (is it?) and Paul Stancliffe was stood at the bar. Chances of that eh? Could do with the pair of 'em now.

I used to go to away matches on Riley's with John Green's Grandad.
    John always used to come out of the dressing room to say hello and usually had free tickets for the main stand

Mike Leng who's been a half-time guest twice this season does portrait sittings and photography classes at Wentworth Garden Centre.
    Last edited by great_fire; 12-04-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast