+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: life in league one

life in league one

So yesterday served up a harsh reality that it looks like we are destined to go down
    venkys have completed the cycle from rags to riches now back to rags
    should we all declare that we are doomed?
    I don't think so
    this is my take on the things needed to happen when we inevitably go down
    1.keep the manager he inherited a squad of very unfit and bedraggled bunch of misfits but despite the past 3 loses he gives me the impression he could be the man to lead us out of league one besides who else is there?
    2.clear the decks get shot of the players who command high wages but give abject performances
    Steele,greer,Brown,Conway,Lowe
    akpan,stokes,Evans can all go and will probably not be missed
    3.youth is the future of this football club we can field a team of experience and youth and stand a chance of going up
    Gk raya/Fisher
    Rb nyambe/Henley(new contract)
    Cb ward/Wharton/mulgrew/lenihan
    Lb williams/Doyle
    Rm Mahoney(give the kid a decent contract)/feeney
    Cm mulgrew/lenihan/Guthrie/Tomlinson
    hardcastle
    Lm feeney/bennett/Mahoney
    Fw we have problems here but maybe try and keep Graham then promote Butterworth or mansell and utilize an attacking midfielder
    Rankin Costello/bennett/Mahoney all can slot into that role

So 3 steps to prepare for life in league one sadly we are doing this with venkys in charge so anything is possible
    probably not with a positive slant.

Robin, it is my view that they (Venkys) will still be out of their depth even in LH 1.

Robin - I think you're right. We can have more of a sense of a fresh start if there is a clear-out.
    I would also be inclined to give Mowbray an extended chance, as he is clearly passionate about his work.
    All the same, I find it hard to put my finger on the real problem (apart from Venky's, obviously!)
    It's very difficult, for example, to argue that particular players are responsible for our consistent failure - over several years AND several managers - to see a game out. Why, also, have we failed so often to turn decent performances into good results? And how can we account for the bizarre inconsistency from week to week?
    The points-per-game tally of each of the managers has been much the same, too, so some of the finger-pointing there doesn't have a real basis in facts.
    In the end, perhaps we have simply never found a group of individuals who have gelled as a team in this period. In addition, I think we have rarely had the kind of on-field leadership that can spark and unite a team. Was it a coincidence that we were so "flat" against Barnsley without Mulgrew on the field?
    I just don't know the answers, but - as you all know - I simply can't see that it has all been down to the failings of the managers. The players have repeatedly expressed enthusiasm - as they would! - about the changes that have happened after the arrival of a new man, but the impact always seems to have been short-lived, at best.

I'm so, so sorry to keep on but the only thing I can see that's wrong is the overlording 'leadership' of our not so well received owners.
    I can only guess at what the motivational atmos is like whilst under the duress of these 'absent landlords'.
    So if a large proportion of the support base has no desire to be 'involved' with the circus, why should the more recent mercenary acquisitions. The only place that has really been 'buzzing' is the treatment ward!!!

On the subject of Venkys - why? Having read a few pieces where it's said that just simply being owners of a UK footie club is means enough to elevate their core business/s. I am now forming the view that just maybe their 'signal' in doing so could well be - 'OK we're not where we where, but who cares and in any case we are so mega rich we can sustain it. That's how rich we are.
    Maybe that's the 'mindset' of the circles in which they move and operate.
    As for the 'minions' beneath them, so what, they are of no consequence.

JMHI

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    So yesterday served up a harsh reality that it looks like we are destined to go down
    venkys have completed the cycle from rags to riches now back to rags
    should we all declare that we are doomed?
    Your next two matches against Forest and Bristol are winnable and could put a completely different perspective on things. Win those and you have a chance so don't write the team off just yet.

Plenty of points to play for yet,the next two games are pretty crucial though..

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Your next two matches against Forest and Bristol are winnable and could put a completely different perspective on things. Win those and you have a chance so don't write the team off just yet.
    Wanderlust - I know you're right and I have generally been more upbeat than most, but we just never seem to have clawed our way clear of the relegation-zone, despite a number of good performances. It almost seems like we're fated - and I hate saying that because I don't normally believe in that guff!

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    I'm so, so sorry to keep on but the only thing I can see that's wrong is the overlording 'leadership' of our not so well received owners.
    I can only guess at what the motivational atmos is like whilst under the duress of these 'absent landlords'.
    So if a large proportion of the support base has no desire to be 'involved' with the circus, why should the more recent mercenary acquisitions. The only place that has really been 'buzzing' is the treatment ward!!!

On the subject of Venkys - why? Having read a few pieces where it's said that just simply being owners of a UK footie club is means enough to elevate their core business/s. I am now forming the view that just maybe their 'signal' in doing so could well be - 'OK we're not where we where, but who cares and in any case we are so mega rich we can sustain it. That's how rich we are.
    Maybe that's the 'mindset' of the circles in which they move and operate.
    As for the 'minions' beneath them, so what, they are of no consequence.

JMHI
    Despair - grasping at straws and picking up something someone (Robin?) posted the other day, wouldn't it be great if Venky's suddenly did the decent thing and turned the Club over to a supporters' group, debt-free. They could then present themselves as true, disinterested men (and women!) of the people, graciously bestowing the gift of independence...
    ...and then I woke up.

For a start lads, your NOT down yet of course!
    But these two upcoming games against Brizzle and Florist are huge, and Id say that at least 4 points is needed from them.

Robin - I meant to say, in replying to your earlier post, I don't agree about getting rid of Stokes. He strikes me as the kind of CF who would do well in Division One - direct and no-nonsense. I don't really think he has been given a fair shot so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)