+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The squad next season - in reply to Proggs

The squad next season - in reply to Proggs

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    Garratt - Needs a pro to push him and replace him, position is too comfy
    Maybe but he is the best we have between the sticks and wed do well to get any better. Hes signed again so Im happy. Even in defeat at Accrington, he made 3 stunning saves!

Zooms - OMG! Only in side due to Guthrie injury. Nice one Davis!
    Now its funny. Maybe I see something others dont. I like Zooms .............but maybe its just because his song fits better than it does for Pocchettino!!

Nugent/Ray/Guthrie/Davis - Seriously, you are happy with the competence of any mix of these as two Centre Halves?
    I have really wanted Ray to succeed, and making him stand-in captain was a smart move by DA, but I still see mistakes in him. Often caught for pace.
    Nugent keeps making costly niggly fouls, he hasnt quite got it for me.
    Guthrie if he stays, he has to play at CB. A LB he is not.
    Davis thanks for the memories. Sadly (for him) the best were at RB so I wish him well as he seeks pastures new. I just hope St. Mirren offer him something but his latest injury may hamper that.

Turton - A good lad and squad player, does all he's asked. Shouldn't be a first choice 11 or a fullback but defo ok for the squad?
    Reports suggest he wants out. Maybe like Davis, he feels he needs a change. But I suspect like Davis, Scottish football beckons because he aint gonna move up the ladder in England. Id be happy if he remained our #1 RB though.

Back to Guthrie - Doesn't want to stay or he would have signed. Suddenly he is Baresi, funny that as he has never pulled up any trees and our Artell revival happened without him in the side....I will be interested to see who signs him and if he plays first 11 for them!!!
    Like Turts, I cant see him going anywhere up the EFL. Sideways move at best but better for him if he stays.

Bingham - LOL! Mostly broken and has had two good halves all season. Sign him up then, cos that'll help....
    I think hes done ok in his recent run, gives us balance with his left foot, but with other options coming through, I see him as a squad player at best. Not sure we would do that though with one who is not our own.

Hollands - Released and called back due to crock above. Given a deal then turns a hamstring into an out-for-season, well that's progressive hey...
    Yeah but when he was given the armband, it transformed him. Having not taken to him at the start (that pass at Cheltenham for one!), he has definitely grown on me. Id give him the armband again for next season if fit.

Cooke - Ace!
    Agree. Just a shame it is very unlikely we can get him back!

Jones - Ace!
    Agree, still think he is a future captain but his passing still bothers me. The latest example a mistake against Notts County, even if he was trying to mop up after a disastrous clearance. But thats just us. When we make a mistake, we often fail to rectify it but instead make it even bigger!

Dagnall - Ace!
    Agree

Lowery, Wintle, Ainley - all good lads.
    Agree and all 3 are worth persevering with without doubt. They can all pick a pass which is vital if we want to continue the play the ball on the ground. I put these 3 down as better passers than Jones.

I wouldn't keep many. And if we do then why would we expect better
    Sadly, very true ..... 

Not a lot to argue with there Somerset.
    Just a couple of thoughts. HD rumoured to going the Vale. Turton wants away. I don't think Bingham will be given a contract though.
    Would love Guthrie to stay and listen to his agent.
    We need a big centre forward, would you stick with Bowery if we could get him?

I agree with the comments above. Davis, Turton, Udoh and Saunders are definite departures for me. I would like Guthrie to re-sign and agree that Nugent could go if he does. Not sure about Bingham. Pity we are unlikely to get Cooke back on loan (though Artell should try).

I just hope that Artell has some money available to chase targets. One player I thought looked a work in progress before being released was Vadaine Oliver. He scores regularly for York in the Vanarama. Worth another look?

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    We need a big centre forward, would you stick with Bowery if we could get him?

Yes!
    Without question!

Villa signed him at the same time they signed Westy, so while that move didnt quite work out for him, should suggest L2 should be a breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Furberstreet View Post
    One player I thought looked a work in progress before being released was Vadaine Oliver. He scores regularly for York in the Vanarama. Worth another look?

Maybe.
    L1 was clearly a step too far - could he do it in L2?
    I put Bowery ahead of him.

I can't say I disagree too much with that, but I'd love to see us start next season with a few different options in the squad, I think half the reason this season was a disaster was that we only had one way of playing and as soon as other teams sussed us out we couldn't adapt.

Ainley, Kirk and Saunders have all been a bit disappointing this year, I think we all thought this would be their year to break through and none of them have really shone. Saunders is probably done, but Ainley and Kirk deserve another year.

I don't understand what the situation is with Udoh, seems to score regularly for the U23's , when he's come on he's looked dangerous but a bit rough round the edges, can't figure out why he's not getting a chance?

The midfield is a confusing one though, Jones is clearly progressing well and must be one of the first names on the team sheet , but I don't think either Hollands or Bingham compliment him that well.

Good debate guys.

A little concerned Somerset that you seem to want to keep/sign all - so where is the change? You'd have Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms in, so same goal conceding issues?

I 100% a BG fan btw, just think he'd improve with proper competition. Fit = play and that's not good for his development.
    Last edited by Proggs; 16-04-2017 at 12:56 PM.

I've seen a fair bit of Udoh in the under 23 games. He's only been here a year, and is still contracted for another season. It's been a steep learning curve considering the previous levels at which he's played. I'd say he's not far off. He rarely fails to keep possession when they're using him for hold-up play. He doesn't head well. He's a powerful and quite skilful runner with the ball, with a strong shot, either foot. How would Crewe use him, and in what forward combination, are the key questions.

Ng could naturally replace Turton I think.
    Ray, alongside someone a bit like Artell, might help both team, and Ray. I wouldn't offer Nugent fresh terms.
    Despite the apparent efforts to persuade Guthrie to re-sign, if we're looking for improvement, I can only see him as a third centre back, should they wish to play that system.
    Bakayogo's so erratic! Young Pickering might come through, but would reduce our average height for set-pieces.
    Dale, Ainley, Wintle, Kirk all offer something different to each other, but it never helps a young player's development coming into a struggling side, so, it becomes a bit like a 'chicken and egg' situation. Can one or other of them begin to take games by the scruff of the neck, and impose themselves?
    I wouldn't bother with Bingham. Jones alongside a natural holder would be good if playing 4-4-2. Hollands is ok, but I'm pretty sure he'd still be hankering for a more southerly club, with his young family based near Portsmouth still. In a midfield three, Cooke's been great. Someone similar is needed to replace him as he'll probably be used by Middlesbrough in the Championship.
    I like Bowery, but think he's run out of steam a bit after impressively chasing around initially. Since he can't play against Orient it'll be a good chance for Udoh perhaps, even if they're not 'like for like' players. Regardless of Udoh's progress, the squad surely needs someone like Bowery. I think he'd be fine, but with the complexity of his parent club's situation, who knows if it's going to be possible to sign him?
    Saunders? I rate him more highly than most, having watched so much under 23 stuff, but it's time for him to be in someone's 1st team; he's only going to be Dagnall's replacement now, and next season.
    Last edited by bigroof; 16-04-2017 at 01:24 PM.

You'd have Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms in, so same goal conceding issues?

Maybe I wasn't clear.
    I so want Ray to succeed but I'm not sure he will - with us!
    Him and Nugent were a refreshing change at the start, both deserved a go, we couldn't get any worse - but I fear neither have quite taken it!
    Guthrie is the only CH I'd keep right now but that seems unlikely from what others say.
    So Ray is a maybe, and as BR says, maybe an option alongside a more experienced head.

I would keep Turts and Zooms - but even the former seems to want out, so that one may take care of itself too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigroof View Post
    I've seen a fair bit of Udoh in the under 23 games. He's only been here a year, and is still contracted for another season. It's been a steep learning curve considering the previous levels at which he's played. I'd say he's not far off. He rarely fails to keep possession when they're using him for hold-up play. He doesn't head well. He's a powerful and quite skilful runner with the ball, with a strong shot, either foot. How would Crewe use him, and in what forward combination, are the key questions.

Ng could naturally replace Turton I think.
    Ray, alongside someone a bit like Artell, might help both team, and Ray. I wouldn't offer Nugent fresh terms.
    Despite the apparent efforts to persuade Guthrie to re-sign, if we're looking for improvement, I can only see him as a third centre back, should they wish to play that system.
    Bakayogo's so erratic! Young Pickering might come through, but would reduce our average height for set-pieces.
    Dale, Ainley, Wintle, Kirk all offer something different to each other, but it never helps a young player's development coming into a struggling side, so, it becomes a bit like a 'chicken and egg' situation. Can one or other of them begin to take games by the scruff of the neck, and impose themselves?
    I wouldn't bother with Bingham. Jones alongside a natural holder would be good if playing 4-4-2. Hollands is ok, but I'm pretty sure he'd still be hankering for a more southerly club, with his young family based near Portsmouth still. In a midfield three, Cooke's been great. Someone similar is needed to replace him as he'll probably be used by Middlesbrough in the Championship.
    I like Bowery, but think he's run out of steam a bit after impressively chasing around initially. Since he can't play against Orient it'll be a good chance for Udoh perhaps, even if they're not 'like for like' players. Regardless of Udoh's progress, the squad surely needs someone like Bowery. I think he'd be fine, but with the complexity of his parent club's situation, who knows if it's going to be possible to sign him?
    Saunders? I rate him more highly than most, having watched so much under 23 stuff, but it's time for him to be in someone's 1st team; he's only going to be Dagnall's replacement now, and next season.
    Like! I agree with what you say bigroof.

Will Ray stay? If he doesn't and Guthrie does, then what? Guth's best position is CB. So much to pan out, but I do hope for key changes or I can't see how we will improve throughout the duration of a long hard season.

In a perfect world my wish would see an experience Keeper to support Ben. 2 fullback and at least one CH (and an Artell/Macauley type as you say). A holding mid, a creative mid like Cooke and a CF target that can score more than JB does - but I'd sign JB too.

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear.
    Him and Nugent were a refreshing change at the start, both deserved a go, we couldn't get any worse - but I fear neither have quite taken it!
    Guthrie is the only CH I'd keep right now but that seems unlikely from what others say.
    So Ray is a maybe, and as BR says, maybe an option alongside a more experienced head.

I would keep Turts and Zooms - but even the former seems to want out, so that one may take care of itself too.
    Ok, that makes it more clear I said you wanted Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms....but you are actually saying you want Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms (again...) lol. And if Guth signs too then we have Zooms, Ray, Guth, Turts - so no changes

I meant Ben G not Ben N

But the fullbacks? One can't defend and the other can't cross. Zooms is kept so I'd like a proper LB. If Turts stays then its competition for FBs and Mid, and as said, we need to use NG too

....but you are actually saying you want Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms (again...) lol. And if Guth signs too then we have Zooms, Ray, Guth, Turts - so no changes

Maybe I wasn't clear.
    So Ray is a maybe.

I would keep Turts and Zooms - but even the former seems to want out, so that's at least 3 of our fallible defence gone.
    That's change in my book.

Let us not forget though, we have defended better (more clean sheets) since DA took over, so the current back 4 ain't *that* bad!
    And defending starts from the front anyway so it would be churlish just to lay the blame at their door.

Ok. For clarity...

You and me are both happy with BG.

You like fullbacks and I don't. One we are stuck with and one 'may not stay', but how anyone knows that is beyond me. However you would keep both - and as a fans forum we are discussing what we would do if in the role.

You want Guthrie but like me you think he'll go. You like Ray but you think he too will go. You'd only keep one not both anyway. And I'd agree with that. Nug we both agree on.

To meet in our middle I'd be happy with a new LB and exp pro CH - I'm with ya.

Whilst we can discuss defending as a team, i'd wager most goals came from central marking and heading issues - whomever that paints (as one Accy goal was Bingham not marking in the centre on a set-piece). Two full backs who can stop crosses and two CHs who can win headers (and for both I mean a larger percentage, I realise we are L2) would put us quite a few point further up this league.

I hope:

Ben G (plus new training partner/#13)
    Zooms
    New LB
    Ray/Guth
    New CB
    Jones
    New CM x 2. I'd take one dign and 1 loan here?
    Dags
    Number 10 - JB or other
    One from rest - Coops etc

Defo needs to change it up

"I hope:

Ben G (plus new training partner/#13)
    Zooms
    New LB
    Ray/Guth
    New CB
    Jones
    New CM x 2. I'd take one dign and 1 loan here?
    Dags
    Number 10 - JB or other
    One from rest - Coops etc"

I tend to agree with the view expressed in another thread that we need to sort out the defence and, if we do that, we wont be world beaters but well be Top 10. To that end..

We have one of the better keepers in the division and we just need back up, which probably means someone like Richards, as anyone better would want to play more often.

DA clearly wants Guthrie to stay along with Ray and we will also have Zooms. If he keeps Guthrie it will give flexibility and cover at LB (although Id prefer JG at CB ) and, if successful, I would release Nugent who, for me, gives of his best but is clumsy the poor mans Dugdale. Either way we need an experienced CH to supplement what we have. We also have a vacancy at RB. If we want 8 defenders to provide cover then Ray, Guthrie, Ng and Zooms will need adding to! We may have someone coming through, but short term contracts arent the answer we should have the confidence in our team to be offering 2 or 3 year deals to any new players.

I think we need an experienced midfielder to help the area of the pitch where I think we have most talent Jones, Ainley, Wintle and Lowery all look decent League 2 players or better but a Hollands type player (better preferably) would be help them develop further.

We dont seem to be short of forward players either; Cooper sometimes flatters but on other occasions has been our matchwinner; Kirk is probably worth another season and Udoh is signed up. Daggers is the star of the show at the moment and, if we could sign up Bowery I would be happy; cant see it happening but someone similar would be great (and essential).

So a starting line up in August of Garratt; RB Ray CB Guthrie; Jones CM Ainley; Cooper Bowery Dagnall for me.

We also have the option of supplementing permanent signings with loanees of course. Personally, I would want the loanees to be young forwards or attacking midfielders (like Cooke and Kiwomya) rather than more integral parts of the central spine of the team that way we wont miss them if they disappear in January!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I tend to agree with the view expressed in another thread that we need to sort out the defence and, if we do that, we wont be world beaters but well be Top 10. To that end..

We have one of the better keepers in the division and we just need back up, which probably means someone like Richards, as anyone better would want to play more often.

DA clearly wants Guthrie to stay along with Ray and we will also have Zooms. If he keeps Guthrie it will give flexibility and cover at LB (although Id prefer JG at CB ) and, if successful, I would release Nugent who, for me, gives of his best but is clumsy the poor mans Dugdale. Either way we need an experienced CH to supplement what we have. We also have a vacancy at RB. If we want 8 defenders to provide cover then Ray, Guthrie, Ng and Zooms will need adding to! We may have someone coming through, but short term contracts arent the answer we should have the confidence in our team to be offering 2 or 3 year deals to any new players.

I think we need an experienced midfielder to help the area of the pitch where I think we have most talent Jones, Ainley, Wintle and Lowery all look decent League 2 players or better but a Hollands type player (better preferably) would be help them develop further.

We dont seem to be short of forward players either; Cooper sometimes flatters but on other occasions has been our matchwinner; Kirk is probably worth another season and Udoh is signed up. Daggers is the star of the show at the moment and, if we could sign up Bowery I would be happy; cant see it happening but someone similar would be great (and essential).

So a starting line up in August of Garratt; RB Ray CB Guthrie; Jones CM Ainley; Cooper Bowery Dagnall for me.

We also have the option of supplementing permanent signings with loanees of course. Personally, I would want the loanees to be young forwards or attacking midfielders (like Cooke and Kiwomya) rather than more integral parts of the central spine of the team that way we wont miss them if they disappear in January!
    Interesting view Love it. But one question.

Why Bowery? He's been really poor in most games, especially last month or so. Once again, I see little change to a team that's been the S word. How will they suddenly be better?

I jut think we can attract better in a division such as this. Got to be one of the more attractive L2 clubs?

Interesting view Love it. But one question.

Why Bowery? He's been really poor in most games, especially last month or so. Once again, I see little change to a team that's been the S word. How will they suddenly be better?

I jut think we can attract better in a division such as this. Got to be one of the more attractive L2 clubs?
    If not Bowery, then someone like him, we need an actual selection upfront, to many times earlier in the season we'd see teams just deny us space in behind and completely nullify any three we had.

A selection of Udoh, Dagnall, Bowery and maybe another gives us a lot of options.

I like Zooms and even though I do think Turtons got his good points, I don't think he offers enough going forward to warrant being caught at the back as often as he does.

In midfield we desperately need a combative player

Quote Originally Posted by thnhouse View Post
    If not Bowery, then someone like him, we need an actual selection upfront, to many times earlier in the season we'd see teams just deny us space in behind and completely nullify any three we had.

A selection of Udoh, Dagnall, Bowery and maybe another gives us a lot of options.

I like Zooms and even though I do think Turtons got his good points, I don't think he offers enough going forward to warrant being caught at the back as often as he does.

In midfield we desperately need a combative player
    My issue with Bowery isn't just the lack of goals (remember Haber got 12 in the league above), it is also his none-use of height in defensive and flick-on situations.

The mid needs a Cooke and a Grant type to compliment system and Jones.

Do we want safe finish next year or a challenge? Replace 2 or 3 for the former, replace 5 or 6 for the latter - surely?

Also got to either have good luck with tiredness & injuries or a decent squad depth/ability.

The best thing about playing Leyton Orient is that Bowery cannot play

He has contributed nothing in the last 3 games. It is impossible to believe an experienced, mature centre forward can time a jump quite as badly as he does. At Accrington he did not head the ball ONCE in the whole match

His effort covered his inadequacies for a while but he is poor and his goal return is poor. He now seems to be coasting to the end of the season when his agent will doubtless find him a club - I hope its not us!!!!

Strange how Haber is now getting a more favourable press!! Its true Bowery hasn't scored enough but his work rate alone is to be applauded and he does seem to fit in well with the current system and his teammates. He has another year on his contract with Orient, I think, which will complicate matters.

I would like us to get someone with some experience in his position and we know what we're getting with him - which may not be enough for some but we don't have a great record in signing big strikers of late!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast