+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The squad next season - in reply to Proggs

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear.
    I so want Ray to succeed but I'm not sure he will - with us!
    Him and Nugent were a refreshing change at the start, both deserved a go, we couldn't get any worse - but I fear neither have quite taken it!
    Guthrie is the only CH I'd keep right now but that seems unlikely from what others say.
    So Ray is a maybe, and as BR says, maybe an option alongside a more experienced head.

I would keep Turts and Zooms - but even the former seems to want out, so that one may take care of itself too.
    Ok, that makes it more clear I said you wanted Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms....but you are actually saying you want Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms (again...) lol. And if Guth signs too then we have Zooms, Ray, Guth, Turts - so no changes

I meant Ben G not Ben N

But the fullbacks? One can't defend and the other can't cross. Zooms is kept so I'd like a proper LB. If Turts stays then its competition for FBs and Mid, and as said, we need to use NG too

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    ....but you are actually saying you want Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms (again...) lol. And if Guth signs too then we have Zooms, Ray, Guth, Turts - so no changes

Maybe I wasn't clear.
    I so want Ray to succeed but I'm not sure he will - with us!
    Guthrie is the only CH I'd keep right now but that seems unlikely from what others say.
    So Ray is a maybe.

I would keep Turts and Zooms - but even the former seems to want out, so that's at least 3 of our fallible defence gone.
    That's change in my book.

Let us not forget though, we have defended better (more clean sheets) since DA took over, so the current back 4 ain't *that* bad!
    And defending starts from the front anyway so it would be churlish just to lay the blame at their door.

Ok. For clarity...

You and me are both happy with BG.

You like fullbacks and I don't. One we are stuck with and one 'may not stay', but how anyone knows that is beyond me. However you would keep both - and as a fans forum we are discussing what we would do if in the role.

You want Guthrie but like me you think he'll go. You like Ray but you think he too will go. You'd only keep one not both anyway. And I'd agree with that. Nug we both agree on.

To meet in our middle I'd be happy with a new LB and exp pro CH - I'm with ya.

Whilst we can discuss defending as a team, i'd wager most goals came from central marking and heading issues - whomever that paints (as one Accy goal was Bingham not marking in the centre on a set-piece). Two full backs who can stop crosses and two CHs who can win headers (and for both I mean a larger percentage, I realise we are L2) would put us quite a few point further up this league.

I hope:

Ben G (plus new training partner/#13)
    Zooms
    New LB
    Ray/Guth
    New CB
    Jones
    New CM x 2. I'd take one dign and 1 loan here?
    Dags
    Number 10 - JB or other
    One from rest - Coops etc

Defo needs to change it up

"I hope:

Ben G (plus new training partner/#13)
    Zooms
    New LB
    Ray/Guth
    New CB
    Jones
    New CM x 2. I'd take one dign and 1 loan here?
    Dags
    Number 10 - JB or other
    One from rest - Coops etc"

I tend to agree with the view expressed in another thread that we need to sort out the defence and, if we do that, we won’t be world beaters but we’ll be Top 10. To that end…..

We have one of the better keepers in the division and we just need back up, which probably means someone like Richards, as anyone better would want to play more often.

DA clearly wants Guthrie to stay along with Ray and we will also have Zooms. If he keeps Guthrie it will give flexibility and cover at LB (although I’d prefer JG at CB ) and, if successful, I would release Nugent who, for me, gives of his best but is clumsy – the poor man’s Dugdale. Either way we need an experienced CH to supplement what we have. We also have a vacancy at RB. If we want 8 defenders to provide cover then Ray, Guthrie, Ng and Zooms will need adding to! We may have someone coming through, but short term contracts aren’t the answer – we should have the confidence in our team to be offering 2 or 3 year deals to any new players.

I think we need an experienced midfielder to help the area of the pitch where I think we have most talent – Jones, Ainley, Wintle and Lowery all look decent League 2 players or better but a Hollands type player (better preferably) would be help them develop further.

We don’t seem to be short of forward players either; Cooper sometimes flatters but on other occasions has been our matchwinner; Kirk is probably worth another season and Udoh is signed up. Daggers is the star of the show at the moment and, if we could sign up Bowery I would be happy; can’t see it happening but someone similar would be great (and essential).

So a starting line up in August of Garratt; RB Ray CB Guthrie; Jones CM Ainley; Cooper Bowery Dagnall for me.

We also have the option of supplementing permanent signings with loanees of course. Personally, I would want the loanees to be young forwards or attacking midfielders (like Cooke and Kiwomya) rather than more integral parts of the central spine of the team – that way we won’t miss them if they disappear in January!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I tend to agree with the view expressed in another thread that we need to sort out the defence and, if we do that, we won’t be world beaters but we’ll be Top 10. To that end…..

We have one of the better keepers in the division and we just need back up, which probably means someone like Richards, as anyone better would want to play more often.

DA clearly wants Guthrie to stay along with Ray and we will also have Zooms. If he keeps Guthrie it will give flexibility and cover at LB (although I’d prefer JG at CB ) and, if successful, I would release Nugent who, for me, gives of his best but is clumsy – the poor man’s Dugdale. Either way we need an experienced CH to supplement what we have. We also have a vacancy at RB. If we want 8 defenders to provide cover then Ray, Guthrie, Ng and Zooms will need adding to! We may have someone coming through, but short term contracts aren’t the answer – we should have the confidence in our team to be offering 2 or 3 year deals to any new players.

I think we need an experienced midfielder to help the area of the pitch where I think we have most talent – Jones, Ainley, Wintle and Lowery all look decent League 2 players or better but a Hollands type player (better preferably) would be help them develop further.

We don’t seem to be short of forward players either; Cooper sometimes flatters but on other occasions has been our matchwinner; Kirk is probably worth another season and Udoh is signed up. Daggers is the star of the show at the moment and, if we could sign up Bowery I would be happy; can’t see it happening but someone similar would be great (and essential).

So a starting line up in August of Garratt; RB Ray CB Guthrie; Jones CM Ainley; Cooper Bowery Dagnall for me.

We also have the option of supplementing permanent signings with loanees of course. Personally, I would want the loanees to be young forwards or attacking midfielders (like Cooke and Kiwomya) rather than more integral parts of the central spine of the team – that way we won’t miss them if they disappear in January!
    Interesting view Love it. But one question.

Why Bowery? He's been really poor in most games, especially last month or so. Once again, I see little change to a team that's been the S word. How will they suddenly be better?

I jut think we can attract better in a division such as this. Got to be one of the more attractive L2 clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    Interesting view Love it. But one question.

Why Bowery? He's been really poor in most games, especially last month or so. Once again, I see little change to a team that's been the S word. How will they suddenly be better?

I jut think we can attract better in a division such as this. Got to be one of the more attractive L2 clubs?
    If not Bowery, then someone like him, we need an actual selection upfront, to many times earlier in the season we'd see teams just deny us space in behind and completely nullify any three we had.

A selection of Udoh, Dagnall, Bowery and maybe another gives us a lot of options.

I like Zooms and even though I do think Turtons got his good points, I don't think he offers enough going forward to warrant being caught at the back as often as he does.

In midfield we desperately need a combative player

Quote Originally Posted by thnhouse View Post
    If not Bowery, then someone like him, we need an actual selection upfront, to many times earlier in the season we'd see teams just deny us space in behind and completely nullify any three we had.

A selection of Udoh, Dagnall, Bowery and maybe another gives us a lot of options.

I like Zooms and even though I do think Turtons got his good points, I don't think he offers enough going forward to warrant being caught at the back as often as he does.

In midfield we desperately need a combative player
    My issue with Bowery isn't just the lack of goals (remember Haber got 12 in the league above), it is also his none-use of height in defensive and flick-on situations.

The mid needs a Cooke and a Grant type to compliment system and Jones.

Do we want safe finish next year or a challenge? Replace 2 or 3 for the former, replace 5 or 6 for the latter - surely?

Also got to either have good luck with tiredness & injuries or a decent squad depth/ability.

The best thing about playing Leyton Orient is that Bowery cannot play

He has contributed nothing in the last 3 games. It is impossible to believe an experienced, mature centre forward can time a jump quite as badly as he does. At Accrington he did not head the ball ONCE in the whole match

His effort covered his inadequacies for a while but he is poor and his goal return is poor. He now seems to be coasting to the end of the season when his agent will doubtless find him a club - I hope its not us!!!!

Strange how Haber is now getting a more favourable press!! Its true Bowery hasn't scored enough but his work rate alone is to be applauded and he does seem to fit in well with the current system and his teammates. He has another year on his contract with Orient, I think, which will complicate matters.

I would like us to get someone with some experience in his position and we know what we're getting with him - which may not be enough for some but we don't have a great record in signing big strikers of late!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast