+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The squad next season - in reply to Proggs

The squad next season - in reply to Proggs

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    Garratt - Needs a pro to push him and replace him, position is too comfy
    Maybe but he is the best we have between the sticks and we’d do well to get any better. He’s signed again so I’m happy. Even in defeat at Accrington, he made 3 stunning saves!

Zooms - OMG! Only in side due to Guthrie injury. Nice one Davis!
    Now it’s funny. Maybe I see something others don’t. I like Zooms .............but maybe it’s just because his song fits better than it does for Pocchettino!!

Nugent/Ray/Guthrie/Davis - Seriously, you are happy with the competence of any mix of these as two Centre Halves?
    I have really wanted Ray to succeed, and making him stand-in captain was a smart move by DA, but I still see mistakes in him. Often caught for pace.
    Nugent keeps making costly niggly fouls, he hasn’t quite got it for me.
    Guthrie – if he stays, he has to play at CB. A LB he is not.
    Davis – thanks for the memories. Sadly (for him) the best were at RB so I wish him well as he seeks pastures new. I just hope St. Mirren offer him something but his latest injury may hamper that.

Turton - A good lad and squad player, does all he's asked. Shouldn't be a first choice 11 or a fullback but defo ok for the squad?
    Reports suggest he wants out. Maybe like Davis, he feels he needs a change. But I suspect like Davis, Scottish football beckons because he aint gonna move up the ladder in England. I’d be happy if he remained our #1 RB though.

Back to Guthrie - Doesn't want to stay or he would have signed. Suddenly he is Baresi, funny that as he has never pulled up any trees and our Artell revival happened without him in the side....I will be interested to see who signs him and if he plays first 11 for them!!!
    Like Turts, I can’t see him going anywhere up the EFL. Sideways move at best but better for him if he stays.

Bingham - LOL! Mostly broken and has had two good halves all season. Sign him up then, cos that'll help....
    I think he’s done ok in his recent run, gives us balance with his left foot, but with other options coming through, I see him as a squad player at best. Not sure we would do that though with one who is not our own.

Hollands - Released and called back due to crock above. Given a deal then turns a hamstring into an out-for-season, well that's progressive hey...
    Yeah but when he was given the armband, it transformed him. Having not taken to him at the start (that “pass” at Cheltenham for one!), he has definitely grown on me. I’d give him the armband again for next season if fit.

Cooke - Ace!
    Agree. Just a shame it is very unlikely we can get him back!

Jones - Ace!
    Agree, still think he is a future captain but his passing still bothers me. The latest example a mistake against Notts County, even if he was trying to mop up after a disastrous clearance. But that’s just us. When we make a mistake, we often fail to rectify it but instead make it even bigger!

Dagnall - Ace!
    Agree

Lowery, Wintle, Ainley - all good lads.
    Agree – and all 3 are worth persevering with without doubt. They can all pick a pass which is ***** if we want to continue the play the ball on the ground. I put these 3 down as better passers than Jones.

I wouldn't keep many. And if we do then why would we expect better
    Sadly, very true ..... 

Not a lot to argue with there Somerset.
    Just a couple of thoughts. HD rumoured to going the Vale. Turton wants away. I don't think Bingham will be given a contract though.
    Would love Guthrie to stay and listen to his agent.
    We need a big centre forward, would you stick with Bowery if we could get him?

I agree with the comments above. Davis, Turton, Udoh and Saunders are definite departures for me. I would like Guthrie to re-sign and agree that Nugent could go if he does. Not sure about Bingham. Pity we are unlikely to get Cooke back on loan (though Artell should try).

I just hope that Artell has some money available to chase targets. One player I thought looked a work in progress before being released was Vadaine Oliver. He scores regularly for York in the Vanarama. Worth another look?

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    We need a big centre forward, would you stick with Bowery if we could get him?

Yes!
    Without question!

Villa signed him at the same time they signed Westy, so while that move didnt quite work out for him, should suggest L2 should be a breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Furberstreet View Post
    One player I thought looked a work in progress before being released was Vadaine Oliver. He scores regularly for York in the Vanarama. Worth another look?

Maybe.
    L1 was clearly a step too far - could he do it in L2?
    I put Bowery ahead of him.

I can't say I disagree too much with that, but I'd love to see us start next season with a few different options in the squad, I think half the reason this season was a disaster was that we only had one way of playing and as soon as other teams sussed us out we couldn't adapt.

Ainley, Kirk and Saunders have all been a bit disappointing this year, I think we all thought this would be their year to break through and none of them have really shone. Saunders is probably done, but Ainley and Kirk deserve another year.

I don't understand what the situation is with Udoh, seems to score regularly for the U23's , when he's come on he's looked dangerous but a bit rough round the edges, can't figure out why he's not getting a chance?

The midfield is a confusing one though, Jones is clearly progressing well and must be one of the first names on the team sheet , but I don't think either Hollands or Bingham compliment him that well.

Good debate guys.

A little concerned Somerset that you seem to want to keep/sign all - so where is the change? You'd have Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms in, so same goal conceding issues?

I 100% a BG fan btw, just think he'd improve with proper competition. Fit = play and that's not good for his development.
    Last edited by Proggs; 16-04-2017 at 11:56 AM.

I've seen a fair bit of Udoh in the under 23 games. He's only been here a year, and is still contracted for another season. It's been a steep learning curve considering the previous levels at which he's played. I'd say he's not far off. He rarely fails to keep possession when they're using him for hold-up play. He doesn't head well. He's a powerful and quite skilful runner with the ball, with a strong shot, either foot. How would Crewe use him, and in what forward combination, are the key questions.

Ng could naturally replace Turton I think.
    Ray, alongside someone a bit like Artell, might help both team, and Ray. I wouldn't offer Nugent fresh terms.
    Despite the apparent efforts to persuade Guthrie to re-sign, if we're looking for improvement, I can only see him as a third centre back, should they wish to play that system.
    Bakayogo's so erratic! Young Pickering might come through, but would reduce our average height for set-pieces.
    Dale, Ainley, Wintle, Kirk all offer something different to each other, but it never helps a young player's development coming into a struggling side, so, it becomes a bit like a 'chicken and egg' situation. Can one or other of them begin to take games by the scruff of the neck, and impose themselves?
    I wouldn't bother with Bingham. Jones alongside a natural holder would be good if playing 4-4-2. Hollands is ok, but I'm pretty sure he'd still be hankering for a more southerly club, with his young family based near Portsmouth still. In a midfield three, Cooke's been great. Someone similar is needed to replace him as he'll probably be used by Middlesbrough in the Championship.
    I like Bowery, but think he's run out of steam a bit after impressively chasing around initially. Since he can't play against Orient it'll be a good chance for Udoh perhaps, even if they're not 'like for like' players. Regardless of Udoh's progress, the squad surely needs someone like Bowery. I think he'd be fine, but with the complexity of his parent club's situation, who knows if it's going to be possible to sign him?
    Saunders? I rate him more highly than most, having watched so much under 23 stuff, but it's time for him to be in someone's 1st team; he's only going to be Dagnall's replacement now, and next season.
    Last edited by bigroof; 16-04-2017 at 12:24 PM.

You'd have Ben, Ray, Turts and Zooms in, so same goal conceding issues?

Maybe I wasn't clear.
    I so want Ray to succeed but I'm not sure he will - with us!
    Him and Nugent were a refreshing change at the start, both deserved a go, we couldn't get any worse - but I fear neither have quite taken it!
    Guthrie is the only CH I'd keep right now but that seems unlikely from what others say.
    So Ray is a maybe, and as BR says, maybe an option alongside a more experienced head.

I would keep Turts and Zooms - but even the former seems to want out, so that one may take care of itself too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigroof View Post
    I've seen a fair bit of Udoh in the under 23 games. He's only been here a year, and is still contracted for another season. It's been a steep learning curve considering the previous levels at which he's played. I'd say he's not far off. He rarely fails to keep possession when they're using him for hold-up play. He doesn't head well. He's a powerful and quite skilful runner with the ball, with a strong shot, either foot. How would Crewe use him, and in what forward combination, are the key questions.

Ng could naturally replace Turton I think.
    Ray, alongside someone a bit like Artell, might help both team, and Ray. I wouldn't offer Nugent fresh terms.
    Despite the apparent efforts to persuade Guthrie to re-sign, if we're looking for improvement, I can only see him as a third centre back, should they wish to play that system.
    Bakayogo's so erratic! Young Pickering might come through, but would reduce our average height for set-pieces.
    Dale, Ainley, Wintle, Kirk all offer something different to each other, but it never helps a young player's development coming into a struggling side, so, it becomes a bit like a 'chicken and egg' situation. Can one or other of them begin to take games by the scruff of the neck, and impose themselves?
    I wouldn't bother with Bingham. Jones alongside a natural holder would be good if playing 4-4-2. Hollands is ok, but I'm pretty sure he'd still be hankering for a more southerly club, with his young family based near Portsmouth still. In a midfield three, Cooke's been great. Someone similar is needed to replace him as he'll probably be used by Middlesbrough in the Championship.
    I like Bowery, but think he's run out of steam a bit after impressively chasing around initially. Since he can't play against Orient it'll be a good chance for Udoh perhaps, even if they're not 'like for like' players. Regardless of Udoh's progress, the squad surely needs someone like Bowery. I think he'd be fine, but with the complexity of his parent club's situation, who knows if it's going to be possible to sign him?
    Saunders? I rate him more highly than most, having watched so much under 23 stuff, but it's time for him to be in someone's 1st team; he's only going to be Dagnall's replacement now, and next season.
    Like! I agree with what you say bigroof.

Will Ray stay? If he doesn't and Guthrie does, then what? Guth's best position is CB. So much to pan out, but I do hope for key changes or I can't see how we will improve throughout the duration of a long hard season.

In a perfect world my wish would see an experience Keeper to support Ben. 2 fullback and at least one CH (and an Artell/Macauley type as you say). A holding mid, a creative mid like Cooke and a CF target that can score more than JB does - but I'd sign JB too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast